• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I understand, I wasn't implying one to do that.
    Revolvers like S&W are much easier to do that with, when comparing to a Colt revolver.
    I get it. I was not trying to say what I do is right. It is just the way I've always done it. Jus 'cuz it works for me, don't mean it will work for anyone else. Side bar: I took my 686+ to the range Wednesday. At 7 yards, I put 6 of 7 in two-inch orange dot using DAO, and firing as fast as I could acquire a sight picture. Even I woulda bet money I couldn't do that. BTW, that was .38 SPL ammo, not .357 Mags. I need to start taking photos at the range.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I get it. I was not trying to say what I do is right. It is just the way I've always done it. Jus 'cuz it works for me, don't mean it will work for anyone else. Side bar: I took my 686+ to the range Wednesday. At 7 yards, I put 6 of 7 in two-inch orange dot using DAO, and firing as fast as I could acquire a sight picture. Even I woulda bet money I couldn't do that. BTW, that was .38 SPL ammo, not .357 Mags. I need to start taking photos at the range.
    One has to love an old worn in 686, they just keep getting smoother and smoother.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Try riding the reset on a stock Browning Hi Power after having shot Glocks or other semi autos with a strong tactile reset and you'll experience it.

Got my triggers changed on my SA-35'S with cylinder and slide triggers as the reset was all over the place.
    I ride the reset of my striker fired pistols.
    When I did that to my Ronin 1911 I was getting bumpfire 2-3rd burst. Amazingly they all hit on target at 7yds somehow.
    At that time I was pretty new to 1911. I had shot a few here and there in my life mainly my father's when he allowed it.
    I learned not to do that with a 1911 to the degree I had been doing that with striker fired pistols.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I ride the reset of my striker fired pistols.
    When I did that to my Ronin 1911 I was getting bumpfire 2-3rd burst. Amazingly they all hit on target at 7yds somehow.
    At that time I was pretty new to 1911. I had shot a few here and there in my life mainly my father's when he allowed it.
    I learned not to do that with a 1911 to the degree I had been doing that with striker fired pistols.
    Wow, I hadn't seen that with hi power. Just dead trigger from not finding the reset. Bump firing would be a problem in my view, and I'd have to do something with that trigger.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Wow, I hadn't seen that with hi power. Just dead trigger from not finding the reset. Bump firing would be a problem in my view, and I'd have to do something with that trigger.
    I didn't think of this until your post. I've posted here before that I had a Para-Ordnance P*14 go full-auto me, then explode in my hand, all without warning.

@DadSmith, please get your gun inspected by a competent armorer. Your 2-3 round bump-fires may be a warning that something is SERIOUSLY wrong with your gun.

I came away from my incident with only 7 stitches in my hand, and a really deep appreciation for high-quality shooting glasses. It was scary, but happened really fast. My underwear survived unscathed.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I didn't think of this until your post. I've posted here before that I had a Para-Ordnance P*14 go full-auto me, then explode in my hand, all without warning.

@DadSmith, please get your gun inspected by a competent armorer. Your 2-3 round bump-fires may be a warning that something is SERIOUSLY wrong with your gun.

I came away from my incident with only 7 stitches in my hand, and a really deep appreciation for high-quality shooting glasses. It was scary, but happened really fast. My underwear survived unscathed.
    Now thats interesting my friend,
    I have a Canadian P14 Limited that did a mag dump on my son a few years back. I still have done nothing with it, I called Para and was told its not under warranty. It looks like the sear spring tip took a dump and just beat the crap out of the sear when it happened.
    I was not happy when that happened myself, my son was like wtf just happened Dad? We didn't blow up, thank god. Ive been there done that already.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It's fine it's just so different from striker fired and much lighter pull, different pull I wasn't ready for such a drastic change.
    I already asked about it with ChurchMouse he said that can happen. I just needed to not ride it like I was. It's fine now that I learned the Trigger. My 10mm 1911 was the same way as well. It was me.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It's fine it's just so different from striker fired and much lighter pull, different pull I wasn't ready for such a drastic change.
    I already asked about it with ChurchMouse he said that can happen. I just needed to not ride it like I was. It's fine now that I learned the Trigger. My 10mm 1911 was the same way as well. It was me.
    I will say this and it may be sacrilegious, but CM could take some triggers down to what I would consider unsafe places.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I will say this and it may be sacrilegious, but CM could take some triggers down to what I would consider unsafe places.
    It only happened the first range trip. I discussed it with CM and he helped me diagnose the me problem.
    So I adjusted to a 1911 trigger.
    The pull on the Ronin is 3.5-4lb. The 1911 trigger is so much nicer than anything I've fired in the past it took me by surprise.
    That's why 2011's and double stack 1911s are popular because of the fantastic triggers.
    The next best trigger I've experienced is the Walther PDP and the Canik.
    Then the CZ p10 series isn't to bad. I replaced the trigger on my P10F with an HBI Theta trigger its much better than the CZ trigger.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Playing with some revolvers just now, my Rhino and Smiths do it but you have to try. They'll will just lock if you try to pull again at the first click. If you let it out just a little farther but not quite full reset (no click though) it'll spin the cylinder without a live hammer.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Playing with some revolvers just now, my Rhino and Smiths do it but you have to try. They'll will just lock if you try to pull again at the first click. If you let it out just a little farther but not quite full reset (no click though) it'll spin the cylinder without a live hammer.
    That is what my Charter Arms Off Duty, S&W 442 and 686+ do. I think it is just part of the design. When operated properly, my guns function properly. I am picking up a new Taurus 856 Defender, tomorrow. I intend to post a review of sorts, with photos. I will include this 'behavior' in my report.

Top Bottom