• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I love Streamlight flashlights, and my love of them has been well-documented here on INGO: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...reamlight_has_become_my_go_to_for_lights.html

However, while taking Mindset Laboratory's Flashlight Combatives course back in December I found that my EDC PT2L, while a fantastic light in most respects, lacked one feature that is slightly more desirable-- a non-clicky tailcap. You can check out my AAR for an explanation of why this is important to me: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...boratory_flashlight_combatives_12_4_11_a.html

The light that Shay recommended to the class that incorporated all of the most desirable features was the Surefire LX2 Lumamax. Its tough-as-nails, blindingly bright, large enough to strike with while still being small enough to EDC in a pant pocket, and most importantly it has a 2-stage non-clicky tailcap. The downer came when I looked it up and saw the price tag-- $210! :eek:

Now I'm all about paying good money for good gear, but I was having a hard time justifying that kind of price gap to myself. My PT2L was just under $50-- a difference of $160. Was it worth $160 to just eliminate a clicky tailcap? I said 'no way' and continued to carry my PT2L.

Then last week I was discussing the light with INGOer Westside, and he sent me a link to a place in New York City that was selling the LX2 for $147 with free shipping and 2 free extra Surefire batteries. :faint: It was from a reputable company that he had prior dealings with, so I felt that the offer was legit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/631918-REG/Surefire_LX2_HA_WH_LX2_LumaMax_LED_Flashlight.html

The price gap was now significantly lessened, and I then had to reconsider my position. Making matters 'worse' was the fact that I had some gun fund money burning a hole in my pocket. :D So I bought one.

I submitted my order to B&G Photo on Wednesday around Noon. By 5pm I had a UPS tracking number in my email inbox. Today (Friday) it arrived on my doorstep at 11am. :yesway::yesway:

Opening the shipping box I found the nicely boxed light and the 2 free extra Surefire batteries (2 were already loaded in the light).

35jdybl.jpg

Its built like a tank. Everything about it exudes quality-- from the rubber switch cap to the engraved patent numbers. The pocket clip is quite stout, and has an interesting design that would allow some alternative carry methods. A slight push of the tailcap emits 15 lumens, while further pushing brings out 200 lumens. Twisting the tailcap allows for constant-on in either mode. Its everything a "tactical illumination tool" should be.

So of course my first task was to compare it directly to my Streamlight PT2L. I snapped several pictures to help give you an idea of how their dimensions compare.

23m3bx4.jpg

149qid.jpg

6izp4y.jpg

ra5ma8.jpg

bi318p.jpg

55fl2.jpg

35mkxg1.jpg

mbn921.jpg

n65am9.jpg

I didn't have a scale to weigh them, but in my hand the LX2 feels only slightly heavier. This surprised me, as it also feels much beefier overall.

As you can see in the pictures, the LX2 is slightly longer and has a larger diameter in certain areas. I wondered if this would be a problem for pocket carry, as I felt my PT2L was the perfect size.

I've been carrying the LX2 in my work pants (dress slacks) all day today and its as comfortable and hides just as well as my PT2L. I have not yet tried it with jeans. Although the LX2 is probably the largest handheld light I would personally want to EDC, I don't find the minor size increase to be an issue at this point.

I'll update this thread as I get more time with the LX2. I'll be using it next month in Mindset Lab's Low-Light Force-on-Force Scenario course, and will report on its performance then as well.

http://mindsetlab.com/wordpress/?p=258

If you have any questions I'd be glad to try and answer them. :ingo:

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Congratulations on a fine light. It wasn't long after Shay's class that I ordered an LX2. It arrived in the mail and I immediately showed it to my wife. She proceeded to place it in her pocket. To this day I still carry an E2DL, clicky tail cap and all. But my wife will let me borrow the LX2 on special occassions.

One nice thing about the LX2 is how non-threatening it looks. I recently took a trip to Mexico. My wife's LX2 never left my pocket. Absolutely no problems with airport security or customs. Another big improvement is that the LX has a really nice two way clip. This allows the light to be carried either bezel up or down in the pocket. It could also be clipped to the bill of a ball cap.

I should add that I have also been considering purchasing a StreamLight PT2L. A couple of my friends carry these on duty and they definately seem like a best value in lights. But I do think that while pricey the quality of SureFire products is second to none.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Great write up as usual Esrice! I ordered mine yesterday and expect it to by in my hands very soon.

I recommend B&H photo and hold them is as high a regard as I do Brad's kinves, Knife lady, Tyler34, Bobcat Steel. I would never hesitate to do business with any of these companies/people or hesitate to recommend them to a friend.

Looking forward to taking the low light Force on Force class in April with you esrice. :rockwoot: (I will let you be the teachers pet.) :stickpoke:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So I spent the day down at lovemywoods' and took along the LX2.

While hiking through the woods with my two boys I did snap this picture.

24ccg9y.jpg

As it was getting dark my photographer Mother and I went outside and tried several different camera tricks to try and "capture" the light in action. This is difficult to do in low/no-light while trying to photograph light itself.

We ended up getting an awesome 4-photo progression of "light escalation" (using a handheld light in a non-threatening way to keep someone blinded while you stay behind a "veil of light") from the perspective of a "bad guy". I'll post that tomorrow after I put the pictures together.

We also ended up with one funky picture capturing some beam and a lit up section of woods. It doesn't tell much but I thought it was an interesting picture. The light is REALLY bright and throws one heck of a beam. I could easily light up a set of steel targets set at 132 yards away.

2n8x6o6.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So in order for the light to be constant on, it requires two hands and turning the tail cap?

No thanks.

Owning both types of lights, I actually find that I like the twist cap better then clicking on a tail cap multiple times to find the right light setting. No different then a mini mag light when you get right down to it. Most of the time when I am in need of a utility light to remain on I am not in a hurry and have both hands available. The advantage of this is that when you let go of the button the light goes off. After spending a day with Shay it did not take long to figure out how difficult it is to have the light on or off when you wanted.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Owning both types of lights, I actually find that I like the twist cap better then clicking on a tail cap multiple times to find the right light setting. No different then a mini mag light when you get right down to it. Most of the time when I am in need of a utility light to remain on I am not in a hurry and have both hands available. The advantage of this is that when you let go of the button the light goes off. After spending a day with Shay it did not take long to figure out how difficult it is to have the light on or off when you wanted.
    When in need of a utility light, yes, it is not a problem. However, I would rather not need to set my pistol down in order to turn the tail cap on my light to keep it on. This is also why my tail cap doesn't have a UI that requires clicking through to the light source I require. I keep it on the setting I would want to use in a low light defensive situation, and if I require less light in a utility situation I can turn the head to go to the secondary setting. My tail cap also gives the ability for a momentary on by not depressing the button fully. This still gives the advantage of the light going off when releasing the button.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    However, I would rather not need to set my pistol down in order to turn the tail cap on my light to keep it on.

There is NEVER a time when I would want to have my light on "constant" if I was using it in conjunction with my pistol. That's why this particular Surefire has the "tactically correct" tailcap. Press = on, release = off. A constantly ON light only makes you a target in the dark.

For utility purposes, when having a light on constantly is warranted, turning the tailcap, even using two hands, is no problem.

My tail cap also gives the ability for a momentary on by not depressing the button fully. This still gives the advantage of the light going off when releasing the button.

Problem there is that under stress you can't control just how hard you push. You will inevitably jam down too hard and "click" it on, which means you'll have to cycle it again to turn it off. Even under light stress in class I couldn't control my light with a clicky tailcap.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Evan, that is a wonderful write-up. I'm hoping to take Shay's class, but what would be the plan if one were using his light in the dark and happens to drop it? Or what if it were needed for a road-side repair and couldn't constantly hold it? I know these aren't exactly defense-based questions, but still I would like to know. Does the LX2 have the ability to operate in a constant "on" position at all? I would think so, but I want to be sure.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Evan, that is a wonderful write-up. I'm hoping to take Shay's class, but what would be the plan if one were using his light in the dark and happens to drop it? Or what if it were needed for a road-side repair and couldn't constantly hold it? I know these aren't exactly defense-based questions, but still I would like to know. Does the LX2 have the ability to operate in a constant "on" position at all? I would think so, but I want to be sure.

You twist the LX2 for a constant on. You have the option for 2 levels of brightness by how much you twist.

As for dropping the light, I have a lanyard on mine that I made that fits on the palm of my hand.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

:whistle:

Its built like a tank. Everything about it exudes quality-- from the rubber switch cap to the engraved patent numbers. The pocket clip is quite stout, and has an interesting design that would allow some alternative carry methods. A slight push of the tailcap emits 15 lumens, while further pushing brings out 200 lumens. Twisting the tailcap allows for constant-on in either mode. Its everything a "tactical illumination tool" should be.

:D

:stickpoke:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    what would be the plan if one were using his light in the dark and happens to drop it? Or what if it were needed for a road-side repair and couldn't constantly hold it?
    You twist the LX2 for a constant on. You have the option for 2 levels of brightness by how much you twist.

As for dropping the light, I have a lanyard on mine that I made that fits on the palm of my hand.

Pretty much this. :yesway:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I guess I should have read better. I have to find something about that light that will cause me not to get it! Does it come in any other colors? :D

Seriously though, I've heard Shay preach about the clicky-top several times and believed what he said, but the price point has always been mentally prohibitive. Your photographs, along with this thread really sealed it for me. Ordering out of NY just may be the way for me to go.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Oh and Que Mrs. VERT's LX2 came with a lanyard. So if you are really lazy like me you can just take that one on and off with the supplied clip.

Just order one, you know you want it.

Top Bottom