• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    How bad do you want it off? I'm sure we can make arrangements. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised, as the hinges are not part of the security; they may well have removable pins. I'd have to see it, though. I'd still wonder why.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you are just trying to remove the door for transportation, which I've done MANY times, it could be relatively easy.

If you have external hinges, simply(ha, ha) open the door past 90 degrees, then lift straight up off the hinges.

Do NOT try this alone!

Even if you can lift the door by yourself, it will be extremely awkward and heavy. You will want help to remove it, or at least someone to call 911 if you drop it on yourself.

You'll need at LEAST one extra pair of hands to reset the door too. Lifting it is bad enough, but trying to lift and align the hinges at the same time is really hard by yourself.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    If you are just trying to remove the door for transportation, which I've done MANY times, it could be relatively easy.

If you have external hinges, simply(ha, ha) open the door past 90 degrees, then lift straight up off the hinges.

Do NOT try this alone!

Even if you can lift the door by yourself, it will be extremely awkward and heavy. You will want help to remove it, or at least someone to call 911 if you drop it on yourself.

You'll need at LEAST one extra pair of hands to reset the door too. Lifting it is bad enough, but trying to lift and align the hinges at the same time is really hard by yourself.

I have a safe to move too. Are you volunteering? it only needs to go 30 miles north and down into the basement!

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I hear a car jack can be a huge help when lifting a safe door off its hinges.. :D
    You would still want a couple of guys to help though.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Yeah, might consider moving it myself if the door comes off. I have moved it twice without removing the door, but this move is different. I would have to lighten it in some way.

jackhandy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Evansville
    My mother in law has a safe she needed the combo lock changed on..she called a local company and they told her just remove the door and bring it in. I thought this to be a little strange so I contacted the company and they told me that under no circumstances should the door be removed...they say that it can affect the alignment due to the weight. That being said as you can see from above posts that it can be done...I just dont think I would do it myself.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My mother in law has a safe she needed the combo lock changed on..she called a local company and they told her just remove the door and bring it in. I thought this to be a little strange so I contacted the company and they told me that under no circumstances should the door be removed...they say that it can affect the alignment due to the weight. That being said as you can see from above posts that it can be done...I just dont think I would do it myself.

If it's a quality made safe it will NOT distort during movement. I have removed the doors on several for moving, with no adverse affects.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm up for most ANYTHING, if the price is right.

I guess I should have given the rules up front. I have homebrew in a kegerator in the room where this is going. I have a 1500 lb lift gate that will do the lifting. So, really I'm not asking for more than a few warm bodies who enjoy drinking beer.

Either that, or I'll move it around the house with a bobcat when I do the patio this spring.

Either way, I'm drinking beer. :ingo:

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I guess I should have given the rules up front. I have homebrew in a kegerator in the room where this is going. I have a 1500 lb lift gate that will do the lifting. So, really I'm not asking for more than a few warm bodies who enjoy drinking beer.

Either that, or I'll move it around the house with a bobcat when I do the patio this spring.

Either way, I'm drinking beer. :ingo:
    :40oz:i see what you did there :buddies:

Top Bottom