• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I think it depends on what you're after, caliber, and to some extent, how you hunt. I recently put one a scout setup on a 45-70 marlin guide gun that I hope to use for wild boar. I went the scout scope route for a coulple reasons. I did not have one yet and wanted to try one out, I liked the idea of fast target acquisition, and being able to shoot with both eyes open was also appealing. The extended eye relief on stout 45-70 loads doesn't hurt anything either(don't have to worry about busting your eyebrow open). All in all I like the set up for what it's for, and would do it again, even though my friends have mixed feelings on the scout scope. Even though I'm pleased with the scout setup on that rifle for hogs/enormous zombies, I have no desire to swap my standard eye relief scope on my 1895 .44. Different rifles with different intended uses. Good luck with your decision.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Regular scope wins easily.

Facts

Scout scope limits field of view
    Scout scope are more dificult to get mounted right with correct eye relief
    You wont take a scope to the eye if you have the regular scope mounted right, and hold the rifle rifle.

Mith

Scout scopes are faster than like zoom regular scopes.

Scout scope has anything to do with the ability to shoot both eyes open. That can be done with regular scopes aswell as scout scopes as it s a function of the zoom, not mounting

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I love my scout setup but I don't look at it as a real optic.

To me it is an advanced Iron Sight. I use mine on a marlin limited 44 mag. I hunt after the opening weekend as a still hunter. The opening weeked I am a stand guy. I hunt dense areas and creek beds mainly. Nothing for me is faster to get on target than the scout. I just bring it up and it falls right in line with my eyes. Like a video game.

Down sides
    1:field of wiew but at 2.75 it is fine.
    2: Some of them are 2-7 power but most are fixed. 2.75
    3: not the best very low light.

Upsides
    1: I can shoot a moving tire with a target inside at 40 yards rolling down hill.
    2: Nothing works faster to get on target for me. (Good for still hunting)
    3: lets me still handle the lever action gun with one hand on reciever

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Its not that a scout scope will not work, its just there is nothing it does that a regular scope cant do aswell or better.

I would not go that far.:D

The purpose of the forward mounted optic was multi-fold as per Cooper:

1. To clear the action of the weapon so that it may be topped off or unloaded without having to work around the optic.

2. To avoid the "Doh! Ribbon" above the eye.

3. To allow an advantage for moving targets.

4. The balance of the weapon is improved for some.

5. The forward mounted optic allows a fixed ghost ring sight as a rear iron sight.

6. The forward optic alows the bolt knob to be manipulated cleanly without interference from the rear objective.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would not go that far.:D

The purpose of the forward mounted optic was multi-fold as per Cooper:

1. To clear the action of the weapon so that it may be topped off or unloaded without having to work around the optic.

2. To avoid the "Doh! Ribbon" above the eye.

3. To allow an advantage for moving targets.

4. The balance of the weapon is improved for some.

5. The forward mounted optic allows a fixed ghost ring sight as a rear iron sight.

6. The forward optic alows the bolt knob to be manipulated cleanly without interference from the rear objective.

Fair enough, Ill give you #1 and #6 as possible advantages. #6 would be on Mauser or other high bolt throw actions.

There is not advantage on moving targets, and after the first time you get a doh moment (everyone including me has had one) you learn to hold a gun correctly, and if your form starts slipping you get reminded to focus on it. I don't know why you would want a ghost ring sight, as its not like you can co witness, and see threw rings are a bad idea all on their own. I don't see how the weight being on your front hand vs between your hand could possibly help balance.

However +1 rep for you, because no one has ever made me even remotely see 1 possible advantage much less 2 possible advantages

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    and after the first time you get a doh moment (everyone including me has had one) you learn to hold a gun correctly,

Maybe you, but not everyone. The forward mounted optic prevents it from happening.

There is not advantage on moving targets,

They used to run tests at Gunsite, skeet shooting with rifles. The Scout Scope proved superior in every way. Chief AJ also used to do this and he told me that was his favorite advantage of the Scout Scope.

Cooper used to say that the forward mounted optic had to be experienced to be appreciated. As most people do not want want to try new things (money/time balance), most people never try it and then rationalize what they have (see an infinity of threads here at INGO).

I don't know why you would want a ghost ring sight,

So if the optic malfs you can remove it and use the iron sights.

don't see how the weight being on your front hand vs between your hand could possibly help balance.

Yeah, a lot of it is subjective but it helps, especially on the quasi-Scouts that I've built up as they are chunky monkeys.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    They used to run tests at Gunsite, skeet shooting with rifles. The Scout Scope proved superior in every way. Chief AJ also used to do this and he told me that was his favorite advantage of the Scout Scope.

Cooper used to say that the forward mounted optic had to be experienced to be appreciated. As most people do not want want to try new things (money/time balance), most people never try it and then rationalize what they have (see an infinity of threads here at INGO).

For example lets use a 2-7 zoom range. On a regular mount you will have a larger fov than a scout mount every time no exception. Either can be shot with both eyes open, neither can be shot both eyes open without inducing parallax. But the larger field of view will be faster evenytime. I do agree that folks tend to swear what they use is the best, but the stats for the count mount just are not there. I have used scout scopes. It just made me realize how much nicer modern mounts are. We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I have never used a scout scope and i can see the advantages/disadvantages of both. But i can say that i really like the 30mm 1-4x scopes. I have a burris xtr 1-4 on an AR and its very fast on low power and has enough zoom to hit bigger targets as far away as the 5.56 is good for. I now hate all of my 1" scopes for hunting. I would look at both setups and see what you like best.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    There is not advantage on moving targets, and after the first time you get a doh moment (everyone including me has had one) you learn to hold a gun correctly, and if your form starts slipping you get reminded to focus on it.

There was a video playing behind Jeff Cooper at SHOT in Atlanta, 1999-2001? Somewhere right in there, he was still travelling with Steyr promoting the Scout rifles. It compared target acquisition time between an EER forward mounted Leupold and a conventionally mounted 2x or 3x Leupold. The scout was faster every time. I seem to remember they were shooting skeet with them.

I don't know why you would want a ghost ring sight, as its not like you can co witness, and see threw rings are a bad idea all on their own.

Quality QD rings and bases. Practical rifles have irons.

I don't see how the weight being on your front hand vs between your hand could possibly help balance.

When it was designed to be so as part of a package, it works nicely.

If someone is just throwing parts around for show, not so much - Marlin slap on parts come immediately to mind.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    There was a video playing behind Jeff Cooper at SHOT in Atlanta, 1999-2001? Somewhere right in there, he was still travelling with Steyr promoting the Scout rifles. It compared target acquisition time between an EER forward mounted Leupold and a conventionally mounted 2x or 3x Leupold. The scout was faster every time. I seem to remember they were shooting skeet with them.

Ive read all the Jeff Cooper stuff, and I'm not arguing the point that he thinks they are faster. I'm arguing the point of in real world scout mounts have no speed advantage on regular mounts.

Im not arguing the point that Cooper is a great shot with a Scout mount. Im guessing he is not bad with a regular scope either.

Iron sights mounted behind the scope don't hurt, but if you buy proper mounting, and proper rings your really going to have to beat on quality scopes to get them to break. I would much rather have my primary sight as good as it can possibably be than to have a set of irons on backup.

You give a shooter a rifle with both options on it he is going to have better success shooting skeet with a regular scope and Im hardly the minority in this. The only time scout mounts should enter your mind are top eject rifles.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Cooper passed in 2006.

Would be interesting to see the evolution of opinion should Vortex offer a scout scope.

I wont carry it, I could stock scout scope now, but I don't. Not every business it purely motivated by profit. If I don't like a product I just wont carry it. If Vortex introduces a scout mount AGAIN, I wont carry it just like I didnt carry the Last EER scope they had that was a Total flop.

Vortex Optics - Crossfire 2x20 EER V-Plex

Whats your next guess?

And before this turns into a "Alan doesnt recomend anything he doesnt carry" threads look at this from yesterday. I do usually recomend Vortex because I honestly believe them to be a great product for most things. Why would I carry a product I thought was junk.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...91820-need_help_picking_a_spotting_scope.html

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county

Lever scout setup. leopold Scout. Skinner peep. 44 mag.

Guess allen and I will have to roll a tire target down a hill and see who hits more often.

PS allen I will be by to purchase some scopes/binoc's at the next 1500. Wife gave permissions: Cash willing and the creek does not rise. The new mower and shed did put a dent in the gun savings.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    When it rains and snow heavy or is very foggy I can remove the scout scope and go with the peep.No scope work well in heavy rain/heavy snow and you don't need one if you can only see 40 yards.

If I mess up the scope in anyway I have the instant backup.undo the warne QD rings and instant shooting action.

Reason #7: A good standard ultralight 2.5 leopold would do just as good but I like handling a lever action by the action. Easy carry is a good thing for a still hunter.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Guess allen and I will have to roll a tire target down a hill and see who hits more often.

PS allen I will be by to purchase some scopes/binoc's at the next 1500. Wife gave permissions: Cash willing and the creek does not rise. The new mower and shed did put a dent in the gun savings.

Bet, I can even borrow a buddys 44 lever so its a level playing field.:D

I look forward to talking to you at the show. If you have specific requests let me know ahead of time so I can leave them under the table so you dont show up and find out I'm sold out:yesway:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I am intrested in a

diamondback 2-7 rimfire. (For my favorite marlin 39a)
    Crossfire 6-18 AO v-plex (Target 22 but I might want a little more power that 18)
    And a solo 8 X 36 (for still hunting)

Dad is also looking at a
    Diamondback 4-12 40
    or something that would do well on a heavy barreled long range 22-250 but he likes gloss finish.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I am intrested in a

diamondback 2-7 rimfire. (For my favorite marlin 39a)
    Crossfire 6-18 AO v-plex (Target 22 but I might want a little more power that 18)
    And a solo 8 X 36 (for still hunting)

Dad is also looking at a
    Diamondback 4-12 40
    or something that would do well on a heavy barreled long range 22-250 but he likes gloss finish.

Good deal, I should have mulitples of each of those. Alot of times I can only bring 1 or 2 of some scopes and I hate it when someone comes up looking for XXX and Im already sold out.

The diamondback line is the closest thing I have to a gloss finish, and its not a gloss finish.

Top Bottom