• ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Titlecollage.png

Back in April of this year I posed a question to INGOers regarding bungee material used in rifle slings. ( https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/246866-bungee-slings.html ) It became a good discussion with many folks sharing their experiences with various slings. Even better was that two INGOers offered to send me their slings for comparison. To my Original SOE Single Point Bungee Sling I added a 215 Gear Enhanced Single Point Sling (thanks Pale Rider!) and Tactical Link Convertible Bungee Tactical Sling (thanks Faine!).

Before I delve into the details I want to frame this comparison. These 3 slings represent only a fraction of available rifle slings, especially if you consider 2-point and 3-point varieties. As such, the following is simply my thoughts on the specific slings made available to me. This isn't meant to be a comprehensive or scientific review. I simply compared the slings over a short period of time by using them in a variety of ways. You'll note that two are single-point only, and one can be used as both a single- AND 2-point. Therefore I compared them all in single-point configurations. Because of this, I won't touch on the pros/cons of single-, 2-, and 3-point slings.

First, the slings themselves. . . .

IMG_0884a.png

• Made for the "Industrial-sized Operator"
    • Attaches to rifle via quick-release snap shackle (requires special mount on rifle, sold separately)
    • Available in black / khaki / multicam
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Made in the USA
    • $42.99
    • Enhanced Single Point Sling

215collage.png

IMG_0883a.png

• Can be attached to rifle in many different ways (QD and other hardware sold separately)
    • Available in black / coyote / olive
    • Lifetime warranty (backed personally by John Willis when he handed it to me)
    • Made in the USA (Camden, TN)
    • $50
    • Original S.O.E. Gear

SOEcollage.png

IMG_0885a.png

TLcollage.png

Quality of construction

The SOE appears to me to be the standard by which all single-point slings should be judged. It's a simple, no-nonsense piece of gear. As such, the 215 Gear seemed like a cheap knock-off attempt. They look quite similar, but the SOE has better stitching, stronger bungee material, and doesn't have the anemic snap shackle. The Tactical Link, however, takes everything up a notch. The strap is wider and thicker, there are more stitches, the bungee material is the stiffest by far, and its price, though double that of the SOE, does include 2 QD swivels and a Triglide.

Comfort

There really wasn't much difference between the three when it came to comfort. The oversized length and sloppy bungee bounce of the 215 Gear did make it uncomfortable while moving with an unsupported rifle. The wider strap and rougher material of the Tactical Link would probably be appreciated after prolonged use. Otherwise they all felt like a loop around my torso. :dunno:

RideHeightcollage.png

Ease of use

The SOE gets high marks for being simple, simple, simple. It's low-profile and doesn't have a lot of buckles or adjustments. The Tactical Link was more complicated due to the inclusion of the Triglide, but operation was simple once it was set up to fit the user the first time.

Value

With only a $7 difference between the 215 Gear and the SOE, my vote clearly goes to the SOE. Pass on the over-priced copycat. Is the Tactical Link worth 2 SOEs? If you have one rifle and would appreciate the ability to easily switch from single-point to 2-point, then I think it's worth the high price. It's a premium sling that does two things well, and the pricetag reflects that. But if you want to outfit all of your long guns with the same sling, the SOE would be a worthy choice-- especially with a variety of possible mounting options.

Shooting impressions

I identified several areas that guys said were important to them when they selected their sling. So I ran each sling through the following tests:
    • Shoulder transitions
    • Supine (bungee) tension
    • Transitions to pistol

Now, remember that these are all single-point slings. Because of this, shoulder transitions were very similar across all slings. While the SOE and Tactical Link provided some bungee tension while shooting supine, the 215 Gear was too large to do so.

215shootingcollage.png

SOEshootingcollage.png

TLshootingcollage.png

The biggest differences were seen while transitioning to a pistol, letting the rifle hang freely. The 215 Gear was worst in this respect. Because the sling was larger the rifle hung lower. Because it hung lower it swung around much more, banging off my thighs. The SOE and Tactical Link both held the rifle higher on my torso, and therefore I could control the rifle much easier and it moved less substantially when hanging freely.

[video=youtube;8YLTTY1jDFg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YLTTY1jDFg[/video]

The higher and tighter positioning of the SOE and Tactical Link slings allowed me to "trap" the buttstock with my support side arm during pistol transitions (when moving and not actively shooting).

Trappingstockcollage.png

To bungee? Or not to bungee?

I like the sections of bungee material in these slings. But it MUST be VERY stiff. The 215 Gear was way too sloppy. The SOE was better, but would still sag some from just the weight of the rifle. The Tactical Link was the best. It would only give if intentional pressure was applied by me. If I pushed the rifle down toward the ground and let go, the bungee material was strong enough to pull it right back up to neutral.

That being said, I don't think the bungee material is very necessary. I think a properly-sized sling without it would be just as serviceable. Some folks mentioned muzzle strikes as a good reason for going bungee, but I'm not sure how important that would be as a non-soldier.

Again, this is how I feel related to bungee material on single-point slings. I have a feeling that I'd appreciate it more on a 2-point sling. But that's for another day.

And for those of you wondering why I'm wearing a zombie mask for this review . . . . . Happy Holloween in a couple days! :ingo:

IMG_0946a.png

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How come the sling point reviews never show anyone climbing stuff?:D

I thought about it for a moment, then quickly dismissed it because I thought it was universally understood that ALL single-points suck in that regard. If the review were comparing single-point slings to 2-point slings then I certainly think such a task would be worth testing and comparing.

Top Bottom