• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blownz28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Greensburg
    Hey everybody, I'm curious what you're using to hunt yotes with at night. Red lights pretty much suck, imo.

Im guessing gen 2 nv or better. You use a nv monocular and nv scope? Just a nv mono? Or just using a nv scope?

Wanting to get in the game a bit, just wondering whats working best for ya.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    I generally prefer the gen 3 ITT Pinnacle PVS-14's. They tend to be the most versatile. The PVS-14 then attaches to the Wilcox AN/PVS-14 Arm, which then attches to the Norotos INVG Mount, which then mounts to the Wilcox L4 Three Hole Shroud, which is attached to the Crye Precision AirFrame Ballistic Helmet. By the time you buy and assemble all these components (and a few others I didn’t mention), you have a $6,500 hat that enables you to see in total darkness. You attach a DBAL D2 or a DBAL I2 to the weapon of your choice and put the IR laser (only you can see) where you want bullets to go and pull the trigger.

Here are some links you may find helpful...
    -Crye Precision AirFrame Ballistic Helmet
    -Team Wendy CAM-FIT Chinstrap Retention System
    -Princeton Tec Charge - MPLS
    -Norotos INVG Mount Improved Night Vision Goggle Mount
    -L4 Three Hole Shroud w/ Lanyard - Tan
    -Wilcox Amber Filter
    -Wilcox AN/PVS-14 Arm w/ NVG Interface Shoe
    -AN/PVS-14 Gen3 PINNACLE MILSPEC
    -LDI DBAL-D2
    -LDI DBAL-I2
    -Crye Precision AirFrame Helmet Rails
    -TNVC Torch PRO Adjustable Infrared Illuminator - Black
    -3M Peltor ComTac III Dual Com Headset (for use under airframe helmet)

You can see part of the final system in the upper portion of this picture...
    MP9SD_01.jpg

When in operation, it should look like this...
    [video=youtube;fxF3DJY3M3M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxF3DJY3M3M[/video]

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My setup is pretty much the same as theuzibutton's. Well, I should admit his has the distinct advantage of still existing when he wakes up in the morning and mine ceases to exist. Other than that they are almost identical.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    TheUziButton, is there a reason you choose the AN/PVS-14 over the Night enforcer PVS-14? While the AN is the milspec, I have heard that the quality of the AN (while extremely awesome) usually only meet the standards of the mil spec testing. While in the commercial market and the NE/PVS-14, the tubes cannot be technically called mil spec, the tubes might be a bit cleaner (so I have heard from some video that TNVC put out a while back).

Just wondering as I was originally looking to purchase a NE/PVS-14 or the TVS/PVS-14 in the next couple months (after I save up enough) and now you got me second guessing myself.

Last edited:

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    TheUziButton, is there a reason you choose the AN/PVS-14 over the Night enforcer PVS-14?
    The link is just for reference. I wouldn’t necessarily prefer one over the other.

While the AN is the milspec, I have heard that the quality of the AN (while extremely awesome) usually only meet the standards of the mil spec testing. While in the commercial market and the NE/PVS-14, the tubes cannot be technically called mil spec, the tubes might be a bit cleaner
    True. Milspec = pass/fail while commercial market = detailed spec sheet. Quality beyond the given minimum spec tends to be luck of the draw. All tubes have imperfections and performance variations.

(so I have heard from some video that TNVS put out a while back).
    This video perhaps? Either way, the video is very informative and makes for excellent reference material for others.
    [video=youtube;eunrnNP7dwQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eunrnNP7dwQ[/video]

Just wondering as I was originally looking to purchase a NE/PVS-14 or the TVS/PVS-14 in the next couple months (after I save up enough) and now you got me second guessing myself.
    Both would be a winning choice. The TNV/PVS-14 is an excellent bang for your buck.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Here are some pictures through my tube. Note that actual tube quality is better than depicted in the pictures due to the fact that the photos were taken with a cell phone.
    (Photos courtesy of jon159753)
    11id5wh.jpg

The photo above was under a cloudy sky with no moonlight shortly after a day of rain with no IR illumination used. Note how defined the ATV tire tracks are in the grass in the lower portion of the frame. Tire tracks/foot prints in the grass are not visible at all with the naked eye but clearly visible through NOD’s.

2r44rdl.jpg

The picture above is with IR illuminator on.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I put a coyote down last month with a AN/PVS-22 sitting in front of a US Optics 3.2-17x TPAL on my .308, the combo works nicely.

My DBAL i2 works ok but is limited to around 100 yards unless it is extremely dark.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Something to keep in mind. Take good care of it. It will come with a cover that covers the objective lens that has just a tiny pinhole in it for use during day light hours...If you dont use it you will ruin your optic over time.

Also the good and bad of using IR lasers is you zero them for a certain range and depending where you mount the laser you have to adjust for both elevation and variation when the laser crosses the line of the bore.

Thirdly pictures while cool dont tell much without knowing the exact amount of illumination. Its very hard to compare pictures. Not sure what is available on the commercial market but i personally like thermal MUCH better. It is easier to distinguish a target versus a bush especially at range. And if you are going to be walking around with it...i highly highly highly suggest practicing first, you'll thank me on that later.

And lastly...No matter whether you have 1000 dollar NVG or 100000 dollar NVG's if there is no ambient light they will not work. As ambient light tapers so will the quality of the image you are able to see.

And for anyone using the AN/PVS14 setup remember outer inner outer to focus it.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    How is the spill on your IR WML? I was thinking of getting one to replace my IR SF G2 but I was unsure about what the beam looked like. I would be using it for an IR helmet mounted navigation light so I would rather have more spill and less throw. What is the run time? Does the activation button have an audible click or is it stealthy?

It's got a wide flat beam for visible light, but I don't have anything to compare it to in IR mode. From where it's mounted on my helmet it fills the PVS-14's FOV almost immediately. I find low to be the most useful; high tends to autogate the 14 an awful lot when you're in trees. You can tell it's on high when illuminating a tree about 75 yards away; low drops off before that. I will say that I'm not a fan of the way you have to cycle through modes (off-high-low-off) for both vis and IR. I'm not sure of the run time, but I've had it on both IR modes for approx 12hrs on a single cr123 that has some white light time on it too. Button is electronic, so there's no sound.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Damnit Glenn . . . . . . that front sight is cool. Now I gotta spend more $$ on my SBR.

:): It's well made; all steel and parkerized. Be aware that the FSP is much thinner than a standard A2 post. here's some more info...

Military Morons

I really like it, and I'll get another since I've dedicated the 1st one to laser use. It puts the light right where I want it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm poor, so my NV relies on me yelling "Marco!" and them lacking the fortitude or foresight to not yell back... :lmfao:

blownz28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Greensburg
    Thanks for the info and links. It gives me a starting point anyway. Dunno if I can justify $6500^ to shoot a few coyotes after dark. It's good to know whats out there on the market.

Top Bottom