• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I am wanting to upgrade to a new gun safe and Mendards has a nice Stack on 28 gun on sale. It has a electronic lock and I have always had combination. I think it does come with a backup key in case the electronic lock fails.

It would be nice to use a keypad and change my combo. Any negatives about an electronic lock if it has a backup key?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've had one of the Cannon versions of the same one you're looking at for just over 3 years now.
    Still working on the original batteries!
    I have a back-up key, but I also have a battery back-up box that will plug into the face of the electronic lock to provide power without opening the door. You still need to punch in the combination, but you can open the electronic lock even if the internal batteries are dead.

I got mine on a "Black Friday" sale. I gave $400 for it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Watch this before you get a Stack-On. This will help you ask the right questions before you buy. I had been considering a safe from a big box retailer, but after seeing this I've changed my mind. I plan to save a little while longer and get something of much better quality.

[video=youtube_share;ltK-bDbADa8]http://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8[/video]

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    That's what I thought, and why I think electric locks w/out keys are dumb.

This comes to mind.

[video=youtube_share;UAxARJyaTEA]http://youtu.be/UAxARJyaTEA[/video]

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I don't know why I've been laughing about this reply for the last 10 minutes but it's killing me, lol.
    :).

I got a chuckle out of posting it...

The safe I'm looking at ordering [for guns + valuables] has a dual redundant lock. Electronic for quick access, mechanical dial for 'SHTF/EMP/Electronic lock failure'.

It's expensive - very expensive - but considering the value that will ultimately be stored inside ... I can't see why people go cheap on a safe and then store 10x or 100x or even 1,000x the value of the safe INSIDE said safe...

bmwguru

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    The safe I'm looking at ordering [for guns + valuables] has a dual redundant lock. Electronic for quick access, mechanical dial for 'SHTF/EMP/Electronic lock failure'.

It's expensive - very expensive - but considering the value that will ultimately be stored inside ... I can't see why people go cheap on a safe and then store 10x or 100x or even 1,000x the value of the safe INSIDE said safe...
    Care to elaborate on which safe you are considering?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That's what I thought, and why I think electric locks w/out keys are dumb.

This comes to mind.

[video=youtube_share;UAxARJyaTEA]http://youtu.be/UAxARJyaTEA[/video]

That was a excellent Twilight Zone episode!

As a side note. Any EMP strong enough to make electronics like that fail will probably not be survivable anyway. Personally, as someone that has worked on electronics for 35 plus years. I'd take a mechanical lock over an electronic. And if I had to buy a electronic it would have a mechanical option for sure!

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I don't like the idea of an electronic lock on my safe, there are enough ways to get into a safe as it stands without opening the door, so to speak, for the electronically gifted criminal, or the lock-picking criminal. Give me a good ole fashioned dial and we'll call it a day.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I don't like the idea of an electronic lock on my safe, there are enough ways to get into a safe as it stands without opening the door, so to speak, for the electronically gifted criminal, or the lock-picking criminal. Give me a good ole fashioned dial and we'll call it a day.
    No matter what you use - there are ways around it. I am currently researching the electronic lock to figure out how it works/how it can be bypassed.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Last edited:

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I work at Lowes so I'm a little bias'd. The gun safes we offer seem pretty good IMO but I'm sure there are better out there through dedicated safe companies.

BCMPatriot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2013
    Auburn
    Bought my Liberty Centurion from a buddy for 500$. Best 500$ I've ever spent. Aside from moving the 500lb sucker, I haven't had to change the battery in 4 years. Not sure what I would do if there was an EMP though :scared:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm headed up to Johnson Safe in Zionsville in the morning to look at a few safes. May pick up something they have sitting on the floor, not sure yet.

Top Bottom