• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive got a stock pair of Peltor tactical sport muffs. I love them except they are quite uncomfortable after an hour or so when I also wear my eye protection. (Ruger branded Allen 4 lens)

The last time I wore them at a training event, I gave up and switched to my EP3s after two hours. I just couldnt take it anymore as the discomfort was too distracting.

Any suggestions on how to make them more comfortable? I found some gel replacement seals online, and the stock seals appear to be plain old foam. Would gel help?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I have a couple comtac IIIs. You can wear the gel cups all day long. If they're interchangeable I'd get those.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have a couple comtac IIIs. You can wear the gel cups all day long. If they're interchangeable I'd get those.

I think I will take your advice. according to Larue Tactical (and others), Peltor uses the same seal profiles for ALL headsets.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Here is a good post that has some great reviews listed. I just purchased a pair of the Tactical Sport muffs a month ago. I love them and I wear glasses. I make sure that when I get new frames that I get them with very thin arms. I have Lightec frames with my current glasses that I have worn everyday for three years. I put new lens in last year when my prescription changed. I just ordered a new pair with type 3 progressive lens in them. They are supposed to be stronger between normal and the bi-focal part. My eye Doctor said it should help in reducing the head tilt backwards to focus on front sight. He said if they didn't work for me that he would remake the lens in a type 2 progressive. The thin frames work great for wearing a helmet on the snowmobiles and motorcycles.

3M Peltor Camelback Gel Sealing Rings HY80, Black

LT LighTec 6864L Eyeglasses with Free Ground Shipping

Let me know how the gel pads work. i was wanting some but was to tight to buy them when I got the muffs.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    DELUXE CLOTH EAR MUFF COVERS | Brownells

p_084000227_1.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was going to offer to let you try them out, but you've already bought some.

I want worried about the upgrade. I recall in my aviation days I upgraded a cheap pair of comms with gel and it was a noticeable improvement.

But thanks anyway for the offer!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I had the chance to try out the new gel seals at the HCFG IDPA shoot. While It didnt make the pain go away completely, it reduced it to mild discomfort.

I'd say upgrading to the HY80 seals Gluezman suggested is a great buy and HIGHLY recommended.

These are next on my short list.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The gel seals are a great investment, so you did good there.

But it sounds like you need different eyepro. It may take some trial and error, but I too have been there with the stems of cheaper glasses digging into my head. I've been happy with the rubber coated stems on my Oakley Flak Jackets. Some manufactuers make thin stems meant specifically to pair with earpro.

Suppressor - ESS Products - ESS Eye Pro - Ballistic Goggles - Ballistic Sunglasses - Military Eyewear - Eye Protection – Shooting Glasses

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Unfortunately I don't have the funds for Oakleys, and the only ones I have seen that are obviously going to be comfy are some wire stemmed Berettas... But they are ugly as sin.

I especially like my current pair's ability to swap lenses. Cheaper than clear for indoor and a second smoke pair for outdoor.

might need to save my pennies for the suppressors in your link. Interesting design.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    looking closer, the suppressors if I build my own arent that expensive... Its only pricey if I choose their packages. THANKS!

Can somebody rep Esrice for me? rep nazis wont let me rep him again...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ordered my first pair today. Not too salty if you build your own.

And customer service is stellar. I goofed and submitted the wrong order. (Ordered a premium lens when I only wanted standard) A lovely lady helped me correct it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Feeling a bit foolish. Sitting here for the past hour at my desk wearing a pair of the ESS Suppressors and my muffs as I goof around on the intarwebs.

While I may feel silly, (and VERY safe) they are quite comfy. I highly recommend them.

if my monitor or keyboard explodes, my eyes and ears will be well protected. :yesway:

Top Bottom