• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    A coworker friend that does knife making and kydex gave me a lesson a while back. Every since I have wanted to try a few ideas I had. I picked up some supplies, upgraded the ole lady's griddle (so I could have the old one in the garage :):), and started playing. The press I made from some scrap wood and foam I had access to. The foam is not as heat resistant as I thought and I have ordered new stuff. The first project was for my Fiance's Glock 42. I had to start somewhere so OWB it was. Small, compact and simple..... She wants this in carbon fiber pattern so I am practicing with the plain black.

I'm good with critism so let me have it. I'm looking for more tips of the trade on polishing the edges without big fancy equipment. Elbow grease is free... How do I make the edge shine by hand?

Here is my first.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Better foam will help the definition quite a bit. As for the edges, I chamfer them a bit with sand paper and polish them with a buffing wheel.

What gauge is your material? Looks like .093 or even .125 both of which are thicker than you need for that type holster. Generally I use .060 for sheaths and .080 for "pancake style" holsters. I will use .093 for "taco style". The .125 stuff is reserved for mounting attachments.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    I ordered .080 but maybe I should measure it and see what I actually got..

I will try some more sanding. I have some 4000 grit somewhere that should get it better. I shaped it with a 120g sanding drum on my die grinder. No belt sander, yet.

Better foam will help the definition quite a bit. As for the edges, I chamfer them a bit with sand paper and polish them with a buffing wheel.

What gauge is thatKydex? Looks like .093 or even .125 both of which are thicker than you need for that type holster. Generally I use .060 for sheaths ant .080 for "pancake style" holsters. I will use .093 for "taco style". .125 is reserved for mounting attachments.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I ordered .080 but maybe I should measure it and see what I actually got..

I will try some more sanding. I have some 4000 grit somewhere that should get it better. I shaped it with a 120g sanding drum on my die grinder. No belt sander, yet.

It's possible (likely) that li'l G-42 is making the kydex look thicker than actually is.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Thats a pretty good first attempt, way better than mine. Better foam and pressing at a higher heat will yield much better definition. That being said, you'll then have to block out the ejection port, maybe the trigger and add some blocking for a sight channel. Sanding kydex is the same as sanding anything else to a good shine, start with the low grit and work your way up to the high grit. I also have a buffer but find myself doing the majority of my finishing by hand.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    Hpclayto.... This is your fault! you have been cranking out some great work and I wanted to try it! lol I have confirmed it is .080 and the lil 42 does make the kydex look thicker. With that said, I might get some some .065? for the smaller frame pistols if I do more. I also have new foam coming and hoping it yields better impression results. What Temp do you all like to heat .080 to? I did 350 first but kinda scorched the shiny side....got good imression tho. Then I turned it down to 225 and got it good and plyable but didn't get the same impression on the outside piece... Must be in the middle somewhere..

I agree with the blocking. gonna widdle some foam plugs for inside the trigger first and then some pieces between sights. First time I used some 1/4" tubing I had and taped it across the slide between sights.

Thats a pretty good first attempt, way better than mine. Better foam and pressing at a higher heat will yield much better definition. That being said, you'll then have to block out the ejection port, maybe the trigger and add some blocking for a sight channel. Sanding kydex is the same as sanding anything else to a good shine, start with the low grit and work your way up to the high grit. I also have a buffer but find myself doing the majority of my finishing by hand.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Hpclayto.... This is your fault! you have been cranking out some great work and I wanted to try it! lol I have confirmed it is .080 and the lil 42 does make the kydex look thicker. With that said, I might get some some .065? for the smaller frame pistols if I do more. I also have new foam coming and hoping it yields better impression results. What Temp do you all like to heat .080 to? I did 350 first but kinda scorched the shiny side....got good imression tho. Then I turned it down to 225 and got it good and plyable but didn't get the same impression on the outside piece... Must be in the middle somewhere..

I agree with the blocking. gonna widdle some foam plugs for inside the trigger first and then some pieces between sights. First time I used some 1/4" tubing I had and taped it across the slide between sights.

Glad I could help haha. It's a lot of fun being able to make your own gear. Pretty much for all thicknesses the sweet spot for me is around 320-340, anything higher than that and (I) start to get warping, lots of shrinking and glossing. I know you can push it higher but I can't do it with the oven I'm using. Also, not sure how you're doing it, but it's important to heat the kydex from low to high vs having you're heating method set on whatever temp you're looking for and then putting your kydex in.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    Thanks for info. I am using a griddle and I did have it preheated at 350 for a bit before the kydex dropped on. I was flipping and sliding it often with no scorch until i enlisted help from the samich maker...then it got scorched. Go figure! lmao Now I can't wait until this weekend to try another one. Waiting on more parts and pieces.

Glad I could help haha. It's a lot of fun being able to make your own gear. Pretty much for all thicknesses the sweet spot for me is around 320-340, anything higher than that and (I) start to get warping, lots of shrinking and glossing. I know you can push it higher but I can't do it with the oven I'm using. Also, not sure how you're doing it, but it's important to heat the kydex from low to high vs having you're heating method set on whatever temp you're looking for and then putting your kydex in.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Thanks for info. I am using a griddle and I did have it preheated at 350 for a bit before the kydex dropped on. I was flipping and sliding it often with no scorch until i enlisted help from the samich maker...then it got scorched. Go figure! lmao Now I can't wait until this weekend to try another one. Waiting on more parts and pieces.

No prob. If you've got one or don't mind spending a couple bucks ( I guess it would depend how much you really want to et into this) a laser thermometer will help a lot in knowing where the temp is at. I think I got mine at sears.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I heat my kydex at 350. I also don't worry about sight channels unless I am making a taco wrap or if the weapon has really tall sights. You do really need to block out the ejection ports, that is where a lot of "too tight" retention issues come from. I would also not cut it so low where the trigger opening is, I always try to keep mine completely covered up. To me the kydex comes up higher than it needs to on the "out, non body side" of the holster. Keep at it, it gets easier. I have also moved totally away from the .60 due to durability issues with the kydex cracking at areas where the kydex is bent.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I never pay attention to the temp other than setting the toaster oven or griddle to 300, I just wait for the right texture. One silly little trick I've developed is to set the kydex sheet on a mason jar ring in the toaster oven. When you start to be able to see the outline of the ring in the kydex, you know it's almost perfect.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    I got my new foam for the press and started another holster for the 42. Still working on an OWB but without the bolt-on type belt loops. She wants the slots in the holster itself. I'm also still waiting on a new eyelet tool and I only put the one in for now. I also picked up some finer sanding drums for my die grinder. So far I can tell the new foam gives better definition when kydex is heated up right. Struggling to get it above 250 right now. I also like the die grinder for shaping. I have several diameter drums and grit to work from. This is buying me time until I pick up a bench top belt sander.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    Here it is. I finished my second holster. The slots were tricky and I know I have some room for improvement there. Kinda wish I had a router table or bench clamp for my dremel. I might try to make a holder/jig. The other half likes this one. (kinda glad since OWB carbon fiber with slots was her idea!) If it sits around too long I'm picking it up. I really liked how tight and close it fits to the waist. Shorts and t-shirt and didn't feel like it was printing or hiking my shirt tail up. Next on the list is an OWB Shield and mag carrier.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Looking better! You're probably going to want to start blocking off the ejection port. Otherwise, as your holster definition improves, it will really start to grab the gun lock it in there. The retention of Kydex holsters should be in the trigger guard area.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    You are very corect with this. I havene't noticed it so much on the Glock 42 but I banged out a XDS 45 for a friend last night and it locks too good. I'm still working on the edges and will heat the ejection port tonight to relieve that pinch. Pics of it coming up. I gotta make one for me soon!

Looking better! You're probably going to want to start blocking off the ejection port. Otherwise, as your holster definition improves, it will really start to grab the gun lock it in there. The retention of Kydex holsters should be in the trigger guard area.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    OWB with loops for a friends XDS45. Edges aren't polished yet and I have to relieve the pinch on ejection port area. Gonna keep this one thru the weekend and go shoot it!:ar15: I like the feel of this XDS..

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I'm wanting to better my Kydex skills, where is a good place to buy a decent quantity of it to practice with at a good price?

Compared to yours i need a LOT of practice, lol...

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    There is alot of good information in Hpclayto's kydex thread too. Knifekits.com is good one. I have been going thru ebay just because it's easier to make payments from my phone. I just got some more carbon fiber in battle drab color , (2) 12x12 for $18.70 free shipping. It shipped from ohio and was pretty quick order.

I just started doing this too. Youtube can teach very well.

I'm wanting to better my Kydex skills, where is a good place to buy a decent quantity of it to practice with at a good price?

Compared to yours i need a LOT of practice, lol...

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    So now I guess this is 4th time with kydex by now but who's counting? I threw this thing together for my 26. My 26 is my first pistol and by far my favorite carry. Battle Drab carbon fiber outer and a piece of black scrap for the backing. It was scrap and not tall enough for sweat guard on this one. But I finally got to make one for myself! ha

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom