• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Does anyone have experience with this scope or something like it? It seems like for the price, the features it has are pretty nice. I understand it probably isn't the highest quality, but for someone that will be building/ buying on a budget, would this make for a decent scope? If not, what else would you recommend?

My main use will be just plinking for the most part, with the occasional long range shooting, but nothing serious.

Here's the link: http://sport.woot.com/offers/ncstar-tactical-2-7x32-mark-iii-riflescope?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=909fec197b-Daily+Digest+-+20140916+-+Woot&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c5ca76da11-909fec197b-303793717

Last edited:

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I don't really have a budget, I wasn't even really looking, I just was curious if that would be good for a future rifle...all I have now is a marlin 60 and Ruger American rimfire, but I am looking to build/buy here as a Christmas present to myself. If I had to throw a number out though, it would probably have to be between $200-300

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 2 of them in the parts drawer. Bought before I knew better. The cross hairs in both of them are canted to the left. Fine when purchased. ran them on AR's and they just fell apart inside.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    clearly this will be a waste of $50... Does anybody have any other recommendations for a scope? Right now I'm looking for a scope to put on my Ruger American rimfire, I've been thinking about taking a Remington 4 -12x40 scope off of my Marlin 60 and using that, but is there something else I should look into? I really like long range shooting with the RAR, it's so much fun to shoot. I would like to shoot anywhere from 25 to 200 yards

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I don't really have a budget, I wasn't even really looking, I just was curious if that would be good for a future rifle...all I have now is a marlin 60 and Ruger American rimfire, but I am looking to build/buy here as a Christmas present to myself. If I had to throw a number out though, it would probably have to be between $200-300

For someone who isn't a scope snob, $100 will buy you a good, decent quality functional scope. $200 will get you one of similar quality with more bells and whistles. $300 starts putting you in the bottom rungs of the higher quality glass.

I specifically didn't recommend a scope because there is a bewildering array of them out there that are all of similar price and similar quality for the features you want so a better question is to find one with features you want or think you want (a hint: only a very few of us really use many of the "features" most optics have) and then ask if there is anything wrong with that model or company for X price. Because the end result is that the differences between the middle of the road quality optics are so small as to often amount to a personal preference more than anything else.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    clearly this will be a waste of $50... Does anybody have any other recommendations for a scope? Right now I'm looking for a scope to put on my Ruger American rimfire, I've been thinking about taking a Remington 4 -12x40 scope off of my Marlin 60 and using that, but is there something else I should look into? I really like long range shooting with the RAR, it's so much fun to shoot. I would like to shoot anywhere from 25 to 200 yards

Cheap bang for your buck = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KOSB34/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#

And I concur with the others, the NCStar is not worth even half that.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a TRS-25 that I am very fond of. 3 moa dot, and it starburts with my astigmatism slightly more than an aimpoint. Eotech is blurry to me.

You can get one around 90-115 bucks.

rs00956

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    West milwaukee
    I bought one to put on my SKS because I didn't want to spend a lot of money n a gun I paid $70 bucks for in the mid 90's. The glass fell out after 30 rounds worst $50 bucks I ever spent.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    obviously like saving when I can

You obviously have more money than I do. I cant afford to buy scope that will need to be thrown away, and replaced. With my budget I have to buy something that will last a lifetime. The Simmons is a better option than the NcStar, but in most case's its not a lifetime purchase, and they have no warranty, so when it gives up the ghost, you a 50 dollar paper weight.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    You obviously have more money than I do. I cant afford to buy scope that will need to be thrown away, and replaced. With my budget I have to buy something that will last a lifetime. The Simmons is a better option than the NcStar, but in most case's its not a lifetime purchase, and they have no warranty, so when it gives up the ghost, you a 50 dollar paper weight.

I have a Simmons Scope 3-9x32 that came with my Savage 22lr, five years and no issues, but the paper weight comment is dead on.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside

I don't know what is good and what is not, that is exactly why I am asking. If the Simmons scope is something that won't last, and that will eventually have to be replaced, then I will stay away from it. What I meant by saving was getting as much out of an item for the money I paid for it. I'm not cheap, but I don't have more money than you do, I just presented an option like I was instructed to do.

Top Bottom