• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Not sure if this belongs in Handguns, Accessories and Gear or in Shooting Sports. :dunno: Your opinion is requested concerning an optic on a Ruger 22/45.

Handgun:

Ruger 22/45 with rail and threaded barrel.
    Ruger® 22/45? Threaded Barrel Rimfire Pistol Models
    Ruger 22-45 Threaded.jpg

Purpose:
    1) Steel Challenge - Primary
    2) General Plinking - Secondary

Red Dot Options: :dunno:

1) C-More Railway C-MORE Systems - Railway
    C-More Railway.jpg

2) C-More Slide Ride (not sure of mounting options)

3) Burris FastFire III

Conundrum:

I looked at some of the tube style red dots (e.g. Bushnell TRS-25, Vortex Sparc II) but I had some trouble finding the dot unless I held it just right. I didn't have access to an Aimpoint Micro and am just assuming that it would be slower on target than the open style red dots.

I looked at the EOTech open style but they appear too large (wide) to fit the pistol well and are heavy so they might throw off the balance.

The Burris FastFire III is the open style which should make it easier to find the dot but the "windshield" is smaller than the full-size C-Mores and the dot size cannot be changed.

The full-size C-Mores seems like they would be easier and faster to get on target, have changeable dot sizes (with different diode modules) and can be moved to different firearms if desired. I was thinking maybe a 6 or 8 MOA dot for getting on target fast at Steel Challenge distances and if I wanted a smaller dot later for longer distances I could just buy a different diode module. I was almost convinced that the C-More Railway was the way to go but then I heard that the Slide Ride could somehow be mounted lower which might be an advantage.

So, what say you INGO? C-More or something else? If C-More then Railway, Slide Ride or another model?

Or of course option D, "None of the above" because I am thinking about this all wrong. :)

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Have you already bought the pistol?

They make a threaded 22/45 with adjustable sights that can take the same rail that's on top of the one you pictured.

Downside is, don't ever use ruger support. They're sending me a second replacement pistol because the one I purchased was screwed up, and the replacement they sent me was worse.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    I vote for a Trijicon RMR (more specifically the RM01 or RM06 model)
    PLRg2245_01.jpg

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN

I have been following that thread but didn't want to hijack it.

Have you already bought the pistol?

They make a threaded 22/45 with adjustable sights that can take the same rail that's on top of the one you pictured.

Downside is, don't ever use ruger support. They're sending me a second replacement pistol because the one I purchased was screwed up, and the replacement they sent me was worse.

Yes, I already have the pistol. No sights or dovetail just the rail. I have had pretty good luck with Rugers (but then I have never used their Customer Service).

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Yes, I already have the pistol. No sights or dovetail just the rail. I have had pretty good luck with Rugers (but then I have never used their Customer Service).

Just before you put a suppressor on it, have a smith check it out to make sure the threads are concentric to the bore.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Just before you put a suppressor on it, have a smith check it out to make sure the threads are concentric to the bore.

Well that could lead to an unpleasant surprise. I can't afford both the suppressor and the red dot at the same time so the suppressor will have to wait but thank you for the caution. I will remember to check for that.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I vote for a Trijicon RMR (more specifically the RM01 or RM06 model)

I looked at them (online) and they certainly look durable and have great reviews. How does it compare to a C-More for rapid target acquisition when shooting steel? It is quite a bit more expensive than a C-More, is it worth the price difference and if so, why?

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The RMR is extremely rugged, like ACOG rugged. My guess is you won't need that on a 22 pistol, but I could be (and often am) wrong. I've got one in my milled out Glock 17, and absolutely love it. But on a 22 pistol, I really think you'd be fine with the Burris Fast Fire. It's a shame you can't use the dovetail rear sight mount though, because the lower you have it mounted, the less you will be looking for the dot.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    The RMR is extremely rugged, like ACOG rugged. My guess is you won't need that on a 22 pistol, but I could be (and often am) wrong. I've got one in my milled out Glock 17, and absolutely love it. But on a 22 pistol, I really think you'd be fine with the Burris Fast Fire. It's a shame you can't use the dovetail rear sight mount though, because the lower you have it mounted, the less you will be looking for the dot.

The Trijicon RMR looks good but costs quite a bit more than the C-More (or the pistol for that matter). The only way I could justify the RMR would be if I also used it on another firearm.

You are correct about wanting the mount lower which makes the 90 degree mount a good idea even if it looks a little funky.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

+1 ... I love me my rmr. But I see no use on a 22. There are other options , while not as durable as an rmr, that would be much better suited for a 22. Unless you gots lots of money like Uzi.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    C-More and Taccom 90 degree mount are on order. Thanks Litlratt et al for the input and advice.

The RMR was nice but expensive. I could see using it on a rifle but for a .22 handgun in Steel Challenge I think the sideways C-More is the better option.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I've got a Primary Arms Micro Dot on my LITE. I really like it a lot, but the PA doesn't have an off switch, which I hate. Especially since I lost the cover for it. I wrap a rubber band around it now to cover the sensor.

EACDFBD6-D02D-4AD5-B9DF-842ACE8A7FBC-7278-00000EB718B5A088_zpsfb8529f6.jpg

Top Bottom