• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    So a month ago I picked up a Safariland ALS paddle holster for my Glock 19. Love it, works great. Right after I got a second one for my M&P full size. This one seems to have a problem. The gun doesn't fit tightly. It has about a half inch of vertical play in it. It has an adjustment screw in the front under the muzzle that will adjust the tension (the Glock version didn't have this) but it just makes it tighter to draw and doesn't get rid of the vertical slop.

When I look inside the holster on the plate that locks the gun inside I see a marking on both holsters. It says GL-01. I'm wondering if a Glock retention plate was installed in an M&P holster by mistake. Is there anyone on here that has one of these for the M&P that can check what is stamped on theirs? Has anyone else had this extra play with the M&P?

Thanks.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Is it the 6000 or 7000 series ALS holster? I have the 7000 series M&P holster and I wouldn't say it's quite 1/2 inch of vertical play but there is 1/4". I do think it's a bit strange and I think I remember something that came with the holster that said there would be a little vertical play and that if you run you should keep your hand on top of the gun to prevent the slight up and down. Mine has the same stamp as yours.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Thank you for looking. I thought maybe with that part being numbered like that it might have been a mistake.

I got the 6378. Amazon.com : Safariland S and W M and P 9-mm, 40 4.4-Inch Barrel 6378 ALS Concealment Paddle Holster (STX Black Finish, Right Handed) : Gun Holsters : Sports & Outdoors

I'm not too crazy about the slop and play. It seems to affect the lever when I hit it to unlock. If it isn't just perfect then it will catch on the draw. The Glock is flawless, tight fit, no slop, perfect release. The M&P not so much. I'd send it back for an exchange but I threw the package away.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Hmmm, weird. I still have my packaging so I may consider that. It hasn't affected my draw at all. I find it very easy to release with the thumb release.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I contacted Safariland about this issue with the M&P holsters having some play in them and thought I'd post about what I found out. The guy I talked to had the genius suggestion that it could be an issue with the gun being of slightly different proportions than normal (variance in the GUN'S manufacturing process) since the holster I have is the correct holster for the M&P9. He also said, "well are you sure you have the standard M&P9 and not another version like the pro or compact?" Yep...pretty sure I know what gun I have. He was dumbfounded that this should be a problem because they "have the guns in the factory when they make the molds so they should be exactly right." I am a bit suspicious of the GL-01 marking that AngryRoosert and I found on the ALS mechanism. Does seem like maybe a Glock part? Forgot to ask about that. He said I should see if the retailer will swap it for me (probably won't since it's past 30 days...bought in January) and if he doesn't I can pay to ship it to Safariland and they'll inspect it for me and maybe replace it or fix it since they have a 2 year warranty.

I did notice that the sticker on the side of my packaging says "M&P 9mm, 4.5" barrel" which is interesting because it's a 4.25" barrel. It would make sense to have that play if they built it for 4.5" (Though no M&P has a 4.5" barrel). But on the Safariland website the same exact model number that I have says it's for a 4.25" barrel. I bought it in January and I think the 7378 model was fairly new then. Maybe they messed it up and made if for 4.5" instead of 4.25"? I dunno. But since AngryRooster's 6300 series has the same problem I'd say it might not be that. It's frustrating but it's not a huge deal for me because I don't carry in this holster very much. I usually carry IWB. It's more of a range holster or sometimes if I'm wearing a big coat. I don't OC.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I did notice that the sticker on the side of my packaging says "M&P 9mm, 4.5" barrel" which is interesting because it's a 4.25" barrel. It would make sense to have that play if they built it for 4.5" (Though no M&P has a 4.5" barrel). But on the Safariland website the same exact model number that I have says it's for a 4.25" barrel. I bought it in January and I think the 7378 model was fairly new then. Maybe they messed it up and made if for 4.5" instead of 4.25"? I dunno. But since AngryRooster's 6300 series has the same problem I'd say it might not be that. It's frustrating but it's not a huge deal for me because I don't carry in this holster very much. I usually carry IWB. It's more of a range holster or sometimes if I'm wearing a big coat. I don't OC.

Just a quick search of Gander mountain shows that there is a 9 with a 4.5 inch barrel and some with 4.25 barrels. Seems to me you bought the wrong holster. Or GM website is wrong.

ModelM&P9
    TypeHandgun
    ActionSemi-Auto
    Action TypeStriker Fired
    Caliber9MM Luger
    Barrel Length4-1/2"
    Weight24 oz
    Sights3-Dot
    FinishStainless Steel/Polymer
    GripsPolymer
    Capacity17-Round Magazin

Last edited:

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I think GM has to be wrong. I went through the whole S&W M&P page on smith-wesson.com and there is not one M&P9/40 that has a 4.5" barrel. They are all 5", 4.25", 3.5" (compact), or 3.1" (Shield). The .45 does have a 4.5" barrel, but my holster is clearly marked with M&P9/40.

Just a quick search of Gander mountain shows that there is a 9 with a 4.5 inch barrel and some with 4.25 barrels. Seems to me you bought the wrong holster. Or GM website is wrong.

ModelM&P9
    TypeHandgun
    ActionSemi-Auto
    Action TypeStriker Fired
    Caliber9MM Luger
    Barrel Length4-1/2"
    Weight24 oz
    Sights3-Dot
    FinishStainless Steel/Polymer
    GripsPolymer
    Capacity17-Round Magazin

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I emailed Safariland again and they are going to ship me a new ALS mechanism free of charge to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn´t, they said I can ship it to them for testing/fitting so they can see if there is a problem. But you have to pay for shipping so I´m going to try this first and see if it makes a difference before sending it in. When I get the new ALS I will let you know if it is stamped with a different code.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I emailed Safariland again and they are going to ship me a new ALS mechanism free of charge to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn´t, they said I can ship it to them for testing/fitting so they can see if there is a problem. But you have to pay for shipping so I´m going to try this first and see if it makes a difference before sending it in. When I get the new ALS I will let you know if it is stamped with a different code.

Thank you for your research. I'll be contacting them as well. It does seem that a part marked GL-01 would be for a Glock. I'll ask them that when I call tomorrow.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    What kinds of adjustments? The allen wrench adjustment on the top of the holster?

There are two allen wrench adjustments that I messed with. The one at the top controls the thumb release resistance and then there is one at the bottom of the holster (by the muzzle) that controls the horizontal movement. There is another screw on the side of the holster, but I did not mess with it.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    There are two allen wrench adjustments that I messed with. The one at the top controls the thumb release resistance and then there is one at the bottom of the holster (by the muzzle) that controls the horizontal movement. There is another screw on the side of the holster, but I did not mess with it.

I only saw one allen wrench adjustment on mine on the top for the ALS tension. Do you have the 7000 series ALS? There is a screw near the bottom but it seems like it's just to hold the holster together. I'll look again though.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

What was the email you used to get in touch with them? I tried to use the contact us page and keep getting an error message.

I talked to them on the phone twice today and got two conflicting answers. The first lady asked me for the model number of the holster including the dash. It's a 6378-213 as imprinted behind the paddle. She said it was the correct holster. She also went and found one and verified the GL-01 part number on the inside as well. She was in the process of finding out if she could send me a new ALS mechanism to try when my phone lost signal. I called back and got a guy this time who said he could not get me back to the first lady since he was the only one that handled things and had no idea who I was talking to. I started all over and told him what she had said and gave him the model number. He said the -213 was for the M&P 22 and I had the wrong holster. I also own a 22 and have tried it a few weeks ago. The 22 fits tight and the lever will just barely release the gun. You have to press it down as far and as hard as possible to get it to release. It's clearly not for the 22. He didn't seem to care when I told him the ALS mechanism inside was also out of alignment. The groove where the front sight runs is not lined up with the little metal tab that sticks down. He said he could try to send me another ALS for the 22. I told him I didn't need it for the 22 but that was all he was willing to do. I tried to send them an email explaining everything and after typing it all out I get an error message when trying to send it. I've used 3 different browsers to try and no joy on any of them. They don't even have the actual email listed anyplace on the website. I called back to get the email and was told it was customercare.sfsa@safariland.com. I repeated this back to him twice and he verified it. When I tried it the mail bounced back as undeliverable.

I can't believe it's so difficult to talk to these people. I'm about to throw it in the trash and find another brand.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Here is the email I have been using and have been getting responses from, though I haven't heard back since I did request the ALS to be sent to me: customercare.ca@safariland.com

So it is a bit different than the email you posted, so try this one.

Thank you, I'll give that one a shot.

ETA: Well the mail went through using the address you had. Now I guess I'll wait and see what they say.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom