• ...and so much more!
  • historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    How much do you want to spend?

How much noise reduction are you looking for?

Does she shoot rifles a lot?

I'm thinking about $50, but if there is a good quality one for less, I'll take it, and if there is a superior one for a few bucks more, I'll go for it.

She doesn't shoot much, but is getting into it.

As far as rifles go, I have a Mosin, so if we are shooting that, she'll need some good protection.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    As far as rifles go, I have a Mosin, so if we are shooting that, she'll need some good protection.

Might want to double up, use plugs and muffs. Depending on where she might be standing (and the range), sometimes those things really bark.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Might want to double up, use plugs and muffs. Depending on where she might be standing (and the range), sometimes those things really bark.
    +1 Any electronic muffs in that price range will be lower on the noise reduction. If you pull out the mosin you will want to have her put plugs in as well.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I wear the Howard Leights. No complaints on the noise reduction, and I don't double up with plugs. The noise reduction has been adequate for me.

Only complaint is that the electronics give some feedback that's annoying sometimes.

If you're wanting to spend more, the 3M Peltors are nice. The electronics were nicer and didn't have the feedback issues my Howard Leights have, but I couldn't justify how much more expensive they were.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I like these for the price constraint... .Howard Leight Impact Sport OD Electric Earmuff, Green - Hunting Earmuffs - Amazon.com

They are thinner then some of the other ones and are awesome for the price..... there was also a thread on here that esrice did a while back and compared a whole bunch of electronic ear pro....

Edit... https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...electronic-hearing-protection-any-budget.html

Definitely check out this review. It's got good info and will probably help you decide.

Another vote to check out that review. I settled with the Peltor Tactical, but i still use foam plugs with the muffs on top if I'm indoors. However, recently I was shooting a rifle with RobbyMaQ and realized I could not get a solid cheek weld with the ear muffs and had to switch to the foam plugs.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Another vote for Peltor Tactical Sports. I liked them so well I bought a second pair for the wife. No issues with the cheek weld for me.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Should I increase the price range? 100? I'm willing to spend for quality.
    Well, that is a slippery slope. Hearing protection can go all the way to a couple of thousand dollars for a pair of custom made in the ear devices.

I have a pair of Pro Ears Pro NRR 30 electronic Muffs that really block out most all noise when off. When on they can be used to amplify soft sounds as well as block loud ones. They retail for over $300 though. They are also large and can be hard to use with a rifle.

Definitely read the review, it is a great starting point. If you can find someone that has some of the ones you are thinking about getting, see if you can try them out.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have the Impact Sports and TCI Liberator II (same as the TCI reviewed with a mic). The difference is night and day. I have the same issue with the Impact Spotts in that the don't adjust small enough to text on my head. I also get a lot of feedback and extra noise at times. Comfort isn't bad with the Impact Sports otherwise, but the TCI is crazy comfortable and I forget I even have them on.

While led I haven't used the Peltors, I would spend the extra cash to get something a little better than the Impact Sports.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom