• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Looking at finally finishing up a long neglected project of a Cowboy Assault Rifle. I have a Marlin 336 in .30-30 which has been cut down to 16.5", shortened LOP, Skinner winged sights installed and the whole thing coated in Birdsong Greet Teflon. I plan on adding an XS scout rail and using a long eye relief scope. Sure, I would love to have a $500+ Leupold but this will see limited use, more of a travel/truck gun than a go to war rifle. I am hoping to stay under $300.

The two I am looking at are the Weaver Classic pistol scope 2.5-8x28mm OR the Burris Scout Rifle scope 2.75x20mm. On paper they are close, similar ocular diameter, overall length, eye relief, etc. The weaver of course has the advantage of the 8x but the field of view suffers.

This is going to be a general use rifle in the true scout fashion. Given the .30-30 caliber I doubt I would ever be shooting beyond 150 yards in any scenario. This will be my go to rifle for road trips, woods walking when needed and (someday) deer and/or hog hunting.

I guess the main crux is how likely is it that one would need that upper end magnification?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    For me on long relief scopes, I never use the upper magnification, I shoot with both eyes open and it is easier for me at the lower magnification, heck I keep the scope at it's lowest magnification.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I really like my Leupold FXII Scout, and it runs about the same price as the Burris. It's worked fantastic on my Ruger GSR:

Also had it on my Scout Squad and really like it:

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The Leupold looks very nice. On paper it is 1.5" to 2" longer than the other two and I am hoping to keep things compact.. However, I
    found a pic on the net of the burris mounted on a Ruger GSR and visually the difference is minimal. It has a FOV of 22' @ 100 yds which is very nice.

ETA Traderator, are those medium height rings?

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I think either will serve you well. I've looked through both, and the differences between the two are minimal. I would caution you from getting a variable power one though, the eye relief really sucks and totally ruins the beauty of a scout setup. 2.5X is perfect, you can shoot with both eyes open and get on target fast.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'm a big Weaver fan.

A response I got from Weaver:
    "We use no plastic on our scopes. There are a couple different metals used in our scopes. Outer tubes, erector tubes and other various parts are aircraft grade aluminum. The reticles are cut steel and the collar that the turrets ride on inside the scope, are brass."

They make quality equipment.

I can't speak to Burris, but I know a lot of other companies cheap out and use plastic guts in their scopes.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I too like weaver and have an older k-4 on a .22 mag that is excellent. I think after it all I am going to go with the burris due to its shorter oal and more compact design.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Finally ordered a scout rail and the Burris 2.75 fixed power LER scope today. Should have them in a week. I will try to get things assembled and post some pics when it's together. then it will be off to the range with my CZ-527 carbine in 7.62x39 to have a little shoot out.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It sounds like you should like the Burris. When I was getting a scout scope for my Ruger GUnsite Scout, I ended up with the Leupold but the Burris seemed to be as highly reviewed.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The Leupold looked great, and I put a lot of weight on traderator's opinion, but I really like the compactness and simplicity of the fixed power. I almost went with an RDS of some kind but it just seemed wrong.

Top Bottom