Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tritium Paint ?

Tritium Paint ?

Anybody know if I can buy this paint somewhere for do it myself night sights ?

Nope.

Tritium is a radioactive isotope and is actually imbedded in a small vial, not as paint.

Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Nope.

Tritium is a radioactive isotope and is actually embedded in a small vial, not as paint.

I was thinking that but figured I'd ask anyhow , thanks .

Shooter
    It's Hydrogen with an extra "H" as most hydrogen floats around as H2, this one is H3 and is radioactive and it's import is controlled. I think it has two neutrons that H or H2 does not and that's what makes it unstable and decay...

Right now, I believe Kimber and/or Trijicon are the only importers.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephR View Post
    It's Hydrogen with an extra "H" as most hydrogen floats around as H2, this one is H3 and is radioactive and it's import is controlled. I think it has two neutrons that H or H2 does not and that's what makes it unstable and decay...
    Proper notations are difficult with plain text. If you mean H(subscript)2 it reads like "two hydrogen atoms", which is hydrogen in its normal gas state. Tritium is H(superscript)3, meaning "one hydrogen atom with two neutrons, giving it an atomic weight of 3", and is radioactive. As the tritium decays, the radiation hits a fluorescent coating on the vial, illuminating it in a way similar to the operation of a conventional TV screen.

Self-luminescent paints are for the most part not a good idea. Cesium paints for watch dials are what gave a bunch of women cancer in the early 20th century. Glow-in-the-dark paints are available, but unless you are OCing in a yaqui or race holster they probably won't get enough light to "charge up" to a point where they are useful.
    While [the gun] gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks. -TJ

What kinda paint would be good for sights. Wanting to brighten up the irons on a couple guns

OK You just got thread jacked! I got a Question~ is there any thing close to a tritium paint? A way to fake it? Any glow n the dark paint that can do the job out there? Or are the "night-sighters" the closest thing?
    "If the American people ever allow the banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property, until their children wake up homless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson, 1791

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    OK You just got thread jacked! I got a Question~ is there any thing close to a tritium paint? A way to fake it? Any glow n the dark paint that can do the job out there? Or are the "night-sighters" the closest thing?

There was a post / report a few weeks ago that said the night siters pretty much sucked .

Quote Originally Posted by 2ADMNLOVER View Post
    There was a post / report a few weeks ago that said the night siters pretty much sucked .
    Is this the thread you are making reference to?

http://ingunowners.com/forums/access...iters_com.html
    INGO has an excellent resource for safety recalls. Check it out: http://ingunowners.com/forums/genera...l-listing.html

Quote Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
    Is this the thread you are making reference to?

http://ingunowners.com/forums/access...iters_com.html
    That's it .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast