• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I know, most people go with a flip up sight when using sights on an AR, but I like the look of the carry handle a lot better. Anyway, quite some time ago, I bought a carry handle from one of the two closest lgs to me. They had always been good to deal with and everyone, on here included, has had good reports.

When I attached it to my AR, it wouldn't tighten up. Cross bolts in the slots, both sides caped over the rail...... Tighten the nuts up and the whole thing just rattles like hell. Nothing else does that, just that carry handle. The only way to get it to work is to position the cross boots on top of the flats. So that is what I have done and just lived with it.

Reciently, I was in that same lgs and told one of the guys about it and said that I would bring it in so they could see for themselves. Not long after that, I brought it in and showed it to the same guy as before and he insisted that something is wrong with my upper. I pointed out an AR on the rack and told him to try it for himself, he refused. This is not the owner, just an employee. In the meantime, I picked up one of those used, military takeoff carry handles at the 1500 and have been using it. It's perfect.

I was just by there a while ago and they had one hanging on the wall. This one was new in the package, I assumed the other one was too but it was just in a narrow ziplock bag and no brand. This one is a CAA, and I have another upper now, so I figured I would get another one while I was there. Brought it home, put it on and tested it out.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. With the rear sight all the way down, it's about 24" high at 170 yards. I cranked up the front post and it's still a little high, and WAY to the right. I crank the rear sight all the way left, still it shoots a little right. I leaned back to get an overall view of the craziness and then I see it.

Here is the gun with the old military sight on it, and sighted in,

2vuzvxk.jpg

And here is the new one,

eow1e.jpg

You can see the base is milled crooked as hell. Has anyone ever seen such junk out of these types of things?
    And does anyone have a good one that is collecting dust?

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    You usually get what you pay for especially when it comes to the AR game. I only purchase AR carry handles with a forge mark present. I had an UTG carry handle that came on an upper I purchased. I quickly sold it.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I purchased one from BCM, which wasn't cheap, but it seems very solid and straight. Haven't had a chance to get out and shoot it yet though, so we'll see how it zeroes.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    A lot of shady places are buying the chinese airsoft ones and selling them as genuine.

I had purchased a carry handle from a reputable online store through amazon. When I contacted them, they said the same thing, something is wrong with my upper. When I got amazon involved, they promptly refunded my money and told me don't even bother returning it.

Why would they tell me NOT to return a product they knew wasn't defective? :rolleyes:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The carry handle you are having issues with is canted to the right, easily enough to cause the windage issue you are experiencing. I'd junk it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I kinda miss the old M16A1 I learned on in basic... One day I'll build an AR with the old A1 style upper.

I am thinking of doing a 'nam era build myself. Not 100% but close. Triangular handguards, carry handle upper, surplus stock, etc.. I am not spending any money right now as all my money and then some is going into a major home reno, but once the outflow of cash slows I have three more to build. I am thinking one would be old school, one would be MK12 style and one for High-power match or possibly 3-gun(which I probably won't do either, lol.)

Sorry about the thread drift. I had one of the PSA handles and I liked it. My brother now owns the rifle and I believe he is using it.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    kind of debunks the lgs theory though. I have problems with lgs that dont stand by their product. It's not right when they sell defective merchandise and then expect the customer to absorb the bad product and loss. This translates to lost customers, lost money, and closure in some cases.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    The carry handle you are having issues with is canted to the right, easily enough to cause the windage issue you are experiencing. I'd junk it.

Yea, I came to that conclusion after about 10 rounds and I leaned back and took a look at it.

The he lgs did take it back, and thanks to a fellow ingoer, I have what looks like a good one on its way here now.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I am thinking of doing a 'nam era build myself. Not 100% but close. Triangular handguards, carry handle upper, surplus stock, etc.. I am not spending any money right now as all my money and then some is going into a major home reno, but once the outflow of cash slows I have three more to build. I am thinking one would be old school, one would be MK12 style and one for High-power match or possibly 3-gun(which I probably won't do either, lol.)

Sorry about the thread drift. I had one of the PSA handles and I liked it. My brother now owns the rifle and I believe he is using it.

I have a retro, M-16a1/603 type that I pieced together. It's the most fun to shoot of the 4 floating around here.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a retro, M-16a1/603 type that I pieced together. It's the most fun to shoot of the 4 floating around here.

There is a guy selling a set of triangular handguards on here right now. Unfortunately I am on a strict no hobby purchases right now.:(

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    This is kind of related, but sorry if thread jack. For those in the know: what is the current fair market value for a military issue carry handle? I've seen prices everywhere while searching for one.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    This is kind of related, but sorry if thread jack. For those in the know: what is the current fair market value for a military issue carry handle? I've seen prices everywhere while searching for one.

The he one that I have came from the 1500. Was in a big box of them for $20 or $25 each. It's a good one, but finish isn't very good. That's the one that will be on the 7.62x39 deer upper and my latest acquisition will be on my 5.56 upper. It will match and look nice where the other just has a job to do.

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    Interesting, the ones I've seen online with a forge mark are going for over $100 on the high side, $50 on the low. It looks like I'm going to have to take my time and look around carefully. Thank you!

Top Bottom