• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I like the magpul bus. Mine is essentially just a range toy, but when I did the reading, the only negative stuff I could find on them was the front sight would melt under heavy fire if it was on a railed gas block. Other than that, all positives. I have then on 3 guns. Zero problems out of them. One thing that stood out to me was in the torture tests, a lot of the metal ones bent or broke. Not the Magpuls. And you can usually get the set for cheaper than just the rear of a metal sight.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have the Magpul polymer sights and the Troy BUIS. Like both of them and I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Pretty much this.

Polymer Magpul BUIS are tried, tested and good to go. No better bang for your buck. If you already have an A2 sight post you only need the rear sight which you can find used for $30-40.

If you don't want plastic they also make Magpul PRO which are metal sights.

Troy BUIS are pretty much the gold standard for iron sights if you want to take it up a notch.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Your receiver is a flat top but what is your forearm/gas block?

If you're going to be mounting a sight on the gas block, get a metal sight. If the gas block is lower than the receiver, then you have to get a gas block height front sight (they're taller when deployed). If you're mounting on a free float rail, get whatever you like.

I have a set of Troys, 1 GG&G rear with Troy front, set of Magpul MBUS, and 1 set of MBUS Pros.

I love the MBUS Pros because the low profile. They Troys are solid but compared to the MBUS Pro they sit up SOOOO much taller when folded down.

MBUS are solid for the price and I like them much more than the Diamondhead polymers and the FAB defense polys

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I had Magpul on my 2 ARs, then tried for a cheap set for my AR pistol (most recent, final one). I liked the cheap ones because the rear sight had 2 apertures (rotatable) like my CETME rear sight.

But, they don't lock into place as securely as the Magpuls. So, just today, I bought a used/great condition set of Magpul for about half of what retail would've been. I'll keep the cheap ones as backup to the backup or for the next AR.

;)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I got some yankee hill metal flip up sights. the front is a flip up/gas block. Hasn't failed me yet. Can't comment on polymer, other than I've read they can melt near the gasblock.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    If you are looking for true backup sights, I feel you can't beat the MBUS. They are reliable, solid, quick deploying, and most importantly light. The MBUS as far as I know are the lightest backup sights out there, unless you spend much more on something like a knights armament setup. Just don't mount them to a gas block as people have mentioned.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    At one time, my favorite flip ups were the Troy sites - I have 2 or 3 rifles that still have them. But now, my favorites are the Magpul MBUS PRO sites. The last several builds have used Magpul Exclusively because I think they are the absolute best value in back-up sights.

61UeEFZmvBL._SX522_.jpg

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    My upper is a flat top. What do I need to look for for on flip up sights? Anything to stay away from? Best values?

Thanks! :ingo:

My number one concern for any sight is do they hold zero after flipping them up and down several times? I haven't tested a bunch of brands but that is my advice. Firing enough rounds to melt them is probably low on my list. I've watched videos of Glocks melting from high round counts but I doubt I ever approach the melting limit.

Obm12ctsv

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2016
    Ham. Co.
    I have the Magpul PROs with a Blitzkrieg luminescent front post. It's the perfect combo for me because I had difficulty seeing the original black front post on some targets.

Jimb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Cicero
    I have the Magpul PROs with a Blitzkrieg luminescent front post. It's the perfect combo for me because I had difficulty seeing the original black front post on some targets.
    A positive review of the Blitzkrieg sights from me as well. I have the luminescent "V" front sight with the tritium dot, standard A2 carry handle with Trijicon night sight for the rear, and a 1000 lumen NiteCore hunting light used for the coyote go to gun.....works like a champ. I wanted to keep the rig simple, reliable, and not have multiple devices requiring batteries. The combination of the luminescent stripes, tritium dots, and periphery light from the torch silhouette the iron sights perfectly for easy reliable target acquisition in total darkness with the iron sights.

Top Bottom