Issues with Prostaff or just how it works?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I bought a new Nikon Prostaff 4x12 late last year and have only used it on my gun a couple times. When you shoot the inside view shakes and none of my other no name brand scopes do that. I can't imagine a .223 having too much recoil for it. Does it sound like a defective scope?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    ...plastic guts. There's a reason those scopes aren't very well respected here.

but you're correct, the inside of the scope shouldn't "shake."

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Send it to Nikon, the lifetime guarantee applies regardless of the model. I have a 2-7 Prostaff that has seen use on everything from a 22lr to a 500 S&W Encore barrel that sheared off the forend screws from the recoil and it's still works fine. I am not a big fan of the higher end scopes for my uses.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    ...plastic guts. There's a reason those scopes aren't very well respected here.

but you're correct, the inside of the scope shouldn't "shake."

I'm not familiar with scopes so I was on the fence between this and the Vortex Diamondback. 4 of my friends had a Prostaff on their rifles so that's why I chose it.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought a new Nikon Prostaff 4x12 late last year and have only used it on my gun a couple times. When you shoot the inside view shakes and none of my other no name brand scopes do that. I can't imagine a .223 having too much recoil for it. Does it sound like a defective scope?

Just to be clear. Are you talking about the sight picture shaking as you shoot, or something inside the scope rattling around? If it is the latter, broken scope. If it is the sight picture shaking under recoil, that is normal and more pronounced as you reach for higher magnification. Is your zero changing as you shoot?

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Just to be clear. Are you talking about the sight picture shaking as you shoot, or something inside the scope rattling around? If it is the latter, broken scope. If it is the sight picture shaking under recoil, that is normal and more pronounced as you reach for higher magnification. Is your zero changing as you shoot?

The picture itself rattles, but no noise coming from it. I couldn't even see where I was hitting because it was shaking so bad.

Top Bottom