• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Says it all. Never had night sights before.

What do I want to ask myself?

What should I be considering?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    This is where I am.

Stock sights are pretty much useless in the dark.

Tritium seems to be the best at night.

Fiber Optics seem to be the best during the day.

Then there are the color options. It seems intuitive that having the front sight a different color than the rear would be the best for focusing on the front sight.

Some seem to have fiber optic/fluorescent. Some have tritium/white dot. Are there any with fiber optic/tritium AND a color difference on the front sight*as that seems to be the best night/day sighting system?

Or am I just thinking wrongly on some of this?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Interesting discussion here, complete with lots of pictures of various sight set ups: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?20098-Sight-Pictures!

Also interesting discussion of the PX4 specifically here: Ernest Langdon and the Beretta PX4 ? Gun Nuts Media

That out of the way,

Tritium night sights are useful in one very limited situation. Where you are is too dark to see the sights but the person you are considering shooting is in enough light to ID as a threat. In daylight, there is no benefit. In dusky light, very limited benefit as the glow usually isn't bright enough to add much. Some fiber optics are brighter in a lot of the dusky lighting.

So, depending on intended use, how well your eyes pick up various colors, budget, and who makes what for the Beretta I'd look at a red or light green fiber optic OR Trijicon HDs. Trijicon HD orange front sights stick out to me nearly as well as a bright fiber optic, but are also usable night sights. I think the general consensus among both competition shooters and serious professional shooters is a plain rear with a high visibility front sight, and then minor variation on that theme to suit the specific requirements of the mission. (front sight width, for example).

The HDs don't lose much in absolute accuracy potential at likely handgun ranges. The top target is my P220, 8 shots, 15 yards. The Point of Aim was just barely covering the black dot with the top edge of the front sight. Note it took me awhile to figure out the POI vs POA with these sights. Covering the target with the dot will work for up close fast shots, but when you start getting out to 50y + they were more difficult to shoot than the fiber optic/tritium combination on my P226.

20160525_122443_zpsh4ldl76y.jpg

I am not a fan of XS Big Dots on handguns. Much like shooting with no sights, it can be done and done reasonably accurately...but slower at distances where sights matter and no real gain over just using the slide as a reference point for aiming at distances were sights don't matter. I don't see competition shooters or professional shooters running them.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    anybody have the ability to install PX4 sights and can help me press in some Trijicons?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom