• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I know that the software author has an INGO account but haven't seen him post here in forever. I like the reviews, I like the look, I like the encryption. What I don't like is that the website comes up as unsecure & I have a few more than ten guns so need the paid version.

Clicking this url (https://cmp.mygundb.com/download/) generates this error in Firefox:
    Your connection is not secure

The owner of cmp.mygundb.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Chrome also displays the error. Not sure if I can trust this site.

Your connection is not private[FONT=&quot]Attackers might be trying to steal your information from cmp.mygundb.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

[/FONT]

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I purchased My Gun DB a few years ago and started entering my firearms. It appears to be a great place to store a lot of information about your firearms, ammunition, and accessories. My concern is the information is stored in the cloud and I prefer physical security to convenience. I purchased a new computer shortly after purchasing My Gun DB and I was not able to activate the database on the new computer. Your error is because The certificate expired on Monday, February 09, 2015 12:01 PM. apparently he has not maintained the site or he has abandoned it.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Does it have provisions for C&R records?

I didn't see a specific area for C&R records, but it has the ability to capture a lot of data for each firearm. There is an area for custom input fields for any thing you might want to add. I have only added two firearms today to check it out. So far it looks good.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Regarding the 2A software... I don't see info about encryption, NFA items, trusts...

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I use a simple spreadsheet that was included with my iMac. It does all I could ask and was free. I record the serial number, make model and caliber plus any distinguishing marks or features and the finish of the weapon, type of weapon (shotgun, rifle, revolver etc) and finally disposition should they ever be sold or stolen(so far none have been stolen).
    I also take pix of all my firearms so I can provide this to the police should they be stolen. Otherwise, they stay encrypted on my computer with a back up on a data stick, also encrypted, in my safe deposit box that I update every month or so if I need to do so. Makes it easy for me at least and until it is needed the encryption I use is hard,but not impossible, to break. Most but not all of my firearms were bought when I had either a C&R or my FFL (07 SOT) as a gunsmith. I no longer hold these so there are some I have now that were purchased like a regular person might. I also like to keep the original cost of the firearm around to tell how well I did, or poorly, when it was sold.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Regarding the 2A software... I don't see info about encryption, NFA items, trusts...

As far as encryption goes, I wouldn't trust a "software generalist" to deal with encryption. Cryptography is really a very specialized field.

I use TrueCrypt to create a container then store the whole package (executable and data files) inside that. I make many backups of this container.

Top Bottom