• ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Dovetail mount, rail mount, or MOS slide for Glock?

To start, I've got a 9mm can on the way to use on my Gen4 G19. I bought it from a local shop that lets me shoot the can in their range while I await my tax stamp in the mail. The can is taller than my front and rear sights, so it's more "point and shoot" than actual aiming. I know I can get raised iron sights, but I think it'd be more fun to slap an optic on my G19. With that being said, it would seem that my main options to mount an optic on my G19 are a dovetail mount or a MOS slide. I know some people have their slide custom milled for optics, but I am not really wanting to get -that- serious into pistol optics and don't want to permanently alter my gun. The cheapest route would be a dovetail mount, but I can't seem to find a whole lot of info on how good / not good they are. Anyone have any feedback on that? The MOS slide looks pretty neat, but that's going to cost a pretty penny. But I suppose it'd be worth it if dovetail mounts are junk.

Additionally, although I would buy an actual pistol optic, I was curious if an EOTech XPS2 could handle the stress if mounted on a pistol slide. I'm sure it'd be too heavy to really use, but thought it'd look pretty cool on a G19 with a can. :):

*EDIT* -- Upon further review, I found a rail optic mount. This seems like the cheapest route yet, as I could use my Primary Arms Micro Dot, since it wouldn't have to withstand the forces of being mounted on the slide.

Last edited:

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Saw that video. looks pretty decent for the money. I think I'm going to order one. I'll report back with how I like it and how well it works! I think I'd get the specific Glock one though that hooks onto the rail and trigger pin.

29-gis-on-weapon-3d.png

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Spend the coin and get the ALG 6-second mount.

IF you don't like it - you can sell it for just about what you'll have paid.

You may also want to look into a back-plate charging assist handle/lever. Something like this: Longhorn Slide Pull Charging Handle Note - I have no idea if this is a good to go product specifically or a good website - this was just an example.

IF you like this set-up and want to machine your slide - you can also look into having that done in order to accommodate a multitude of RDS from handful of companies. This will involve machining, new taller iron sights, and refinishing. Plus the cost of your RDS. (The RDS itself can be anywhere from $280 - $600 depending on brand/specs)

But the ALG + the optic you already have will be the least expensive way to go by far - and you'll not permanently alter your pistol's slide.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Spend the coin and get the ALG 6-second mount.

IF you don't like it - you can sell it for just about what you'll have paid.

You may also want to look into a back-plate charging assist handle/lever. Something like this: Longhorn Slide Pull Charging Handle Note - I have no idea if this is a good to go product specifically or a good website - this was just an example.

IF you like this set-up and want to machine your slide - you can also look into having that done in order to accommodate a multitude of RDS from handful of companies. This will involve machining, new taller iron sights, and refinishing. Plus the cost of your RDS. (The RDS itself can be anywhere from $280 - $600 depending on brand/specs)

But the ALG + the optic you already have will be the least expensive way to go by far - and you'll not permanently alter your pistol's slide.

I decided to go the opposite route, and went with the Fab Defense MAKO GIS. My thought process being that I don't know how well I'll like an optic on my G19, but I do need a way of being able to use a sight with my can installed and the Fab Defense mount is the cheapest option I have found to accomplish said task. (raised irons were even more expensive than the mount I bought) So if I don't like it, I'm only out $40. And if I do like it, I can then invest in either a better mount, or possibly have my slide machined. I'd rather start off cheap and work up to something more expensive if I like it, than start of expensive and possibly find out that I don't like it.

I'll be receiving the mount on Friday and will hopefully be able to hit the range that day or the following Saturday. I'll be sure to report back with how I like it / don't like it! As well as the build quality and whatnot.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I decided to go the opposite route, and went with the Fab Defense MAKO GIS. My thought process being that I don't know how well I'll like an optic on my G19, but I do need a way of being able to use a sight with my can installed and the Fab Defense mount is the cheapest option I have found to accomplish said task. (raised irons were even more expensive than the mount I bought) So if I don't like it, I'm only out $40. And if I do like it, I can then invest in either a better mount, or possibly have my slide machined. I'd rather start off cheap and work up to something more expensive if I like it, than start of expensive and possibly find out that I don't like it.

I'll be receiving the mount on Friday and will hopefully be able to hit the range that day or the following Saturday. I'll be sure to report back with how I like it / don't like it! As well as the build quality and whatnot.

Looking forward to the range report, I'm looking to turn my G-17 into a "fun" gun. The G-17 is no longer my EDC, so need to do something with it besides gathering spider webs.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Looking forward to the range report, I'm looking to turn my G-17 into a "fun" gun. The G-17 is no longer my EDC, so need to do something with it besides gathering spider webs.

Yeah. That's the plan. I might get serious into pistol optics down the road, but for now, I just need something to allow me to aim my G19 when I've got my can attached. And spending only $40 to accomplish that, is pretty nice. I'll try to do a thorough range report after I get it!

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    Based on what I've read and heard, the advantage to having a Glock slide milled for an optic is: 1. the mill job would be custom fitted for the optic (which means that if you change optics, you may have to have the slide reworked) and 2. the mill job will allow the optic to sit lower on the slide (which would not solve your problem). The advantage to the Glock MOS feature is that the base plates accommodate various types of optics without additional machining and you don't have to send your slide off to somebody for the mill work. The disadvantage to the MOS is that you now have an adapter plate between the slide and the optic which means an additional set of screws that must be kept torqued.

Of course, if you are headed down the rail route, this is moot. And, if I'm merely spreading Internet nonsense, ignore everything I said.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    For a serious defensive gun, my plan would be taller irons (lower 1/3 co-witnessed), AND the optic.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a g19 with a RMR 06. If you lived closer I'd let you try it out. I haven't decided on irons yet so I still have the dovetail protectors in.

Top Bottom