• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Looking for some input from safe owners for a new safe for the house. Looking for something close to $1K, holds long guns on one side, shelves on the other. Need it to hold about 6 long guns (that's including a couple future purchases). GREATLY prefer local, as I like to see what I'm getting before I buy. Definitely want some fire rating. Doesn't need to be great, mainly to keep the kids out and a quick smash and grab busy long enough to get ran off by the alarm. but don't want a $200 sheet metal locker either. Used is fine by me, if you happen to be looking to upgrade.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I'm partial to Fort Knox, but the masses here on INGO seem to favor Johnson Safes (made right here in Indiana). The size you're looking for seems a wee bit on the low side. If you're expecting to grow to 6 long guns, get a safe that fits 18! I think you'll find that your budget is on the low side. If you can bump it up to $1,500, you'll have an easier search for a quality fire rated safe.

When you do find your safe, you'll want to invest in a better way to store those guns than the factory rack and shelves. I use products from Gun Safe Accessories (rifle rods and handgun hangers). I was able to double the amount of long guns I can store and easily access, and the handgun hangers help free up the shelves for other equipment.

I picked up a golden rod when I purchased my safe to help with dehumidification, but never got around to installing it. To date (about 20 years), I haven't had a single issue with moisture inside the safe. LED lighting is also on my wish list. At the moment, I keep a powerful flashlight inside the safe ... cheap but effective.

That's all I can offer at the moment. Best of success finding your perfect safe.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Do some reading on safes. most of them are not all the manufacturers claim they are. Most are pretty easily defeated with a fire axe or sawzall. ANything with above 10 gauge steel is not as secure as you think. 10 is my minimum but I much prefer 7.

Johnson safes are awesome and Jeff is about a nice of guy as you could meet. quality stuff made right in Zionsville IN.

Read up on the fire ratings. 30 minutes is not enough time depending on where you live most fires burn around 1250 to 1300 degrees and burn for about 45 minutes. AT least that is what I saw in my research. So 60 minutes is the lowest I would go. country life with a slower response time 75 minutes is better.

Also bolt it down. After watching how easy it was for Jeff to move my 1200lb safe arounf by himself I was amazed.

Also a lot of people like to store their ammo in the safe. Seems smart based on value but after researching safes for several months and talking to numerous fire victims if the safe gets hot enough and your ammo starts cooking off it isn't a real threat to people but is to your scopes and paperwork. especially since most safes have a door jam sealer so all the soot and smoke judt stay trapped in side and really make a mess of things.

There are many more knowledgeable on this subject and hopefully they will chime in. This is just what I learned ftom my research.

The best I found in my research is johnson safes. Sturdy safes. Several other custom safr makers (very expensive lol) Ft knox with certain models (others not so much based on steel) some liberty safes samecreason as above.

Anything is better than nothing but just don't get to much of a false sense of security because you have your stuff in a safe.

Also get insurance lol. It's a better investment than the safe. A lot of people don't know with out a special rider policy most insurance companies top out your payment at 2k which won't replace much

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Rural King has had some great sales lately. I am not sure if they are the 10 gauge as suggested above but worth a look.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I looked at Johnson safes at the show, he said they are on a 6 month waiting list, so I need to keep that in mind. I was also looking at MESA safes. They are only 12 gauge bodies, but have a 7 gauge door. Also an hour fire rating at 1350 (if memory serves me). I can get free curb side delivery with that one too... I'll just need to calculate how many steaks and beers I need to buy to get enough help to get it installed. I'm actually looking at building it into a storage center in a closet, so only the front would be accessible, and being in a tight space, there wouldn't be a lot of room to "work" on it. I am looking at adding a layer of blue fire board around the enclosure as well, so that can only help with the fire rating.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    If you're building a room, then all you need is the door. That could be a less expensive option ... maybe more ... depends on how secure you build the room.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I'll add this tidbit from my buddy, a locksmith:

Get combo dial. Specifically a S&G (sargent and greenleaf) dial.

He has replaced lots of the pushbutton electric pads for failure to open on many makes and models of safes. The only brand of lock he uses for replacement is s&g.

I'll also add that safes are like barns....go much bigger than you think you will need. Much much bigger. Your wife's jewelry, kids pics, car titles, wedding pics, etc are all gonna end up in there.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you're building a room, then all you need is the door. That could be a less expensive option ... maybe more ... depends on how secure you build the room.

Thanks for the input, not really building a room, just going to enclose the safe with shelving, etc, so there is non-safe storage around it.

I'll add this tidbit from my buddy, a locksmith:

Get combo dial. Specifically a S&G (sargent and greenleaf) dial.

He has replaced lots of the pushbutton electric pads for failure to open on many makes and models of safes. The only brand of lock he uses for replacement is s&g.

I'll also add that safes are like barns....go much bigger than you think you will need. Much much bigger. Your wife's jewelry, kids pics, car titles, wedding pics, etc are all gonna end up in there.

yeah, I have a quick access save for my handgun, so I don't need quick access to this safe, so a dial is the way I am planning on going.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    On size, even if you have all the guns you ever want to get, once you have the safe you can use it for securing non-gun things. Get bigger than what you think is "bigger than what you need".

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    On size, even if you have all the guns you ever want to get, once you have the safe you can use it for securing non-gun things. Get bigger than what you think is "bigger than what you need".

Absolutely! I looking at one what will hold 3 times the number of long guns I currently have, and has on door storage for hand guns (there are still a few of those I want to get).

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Honestly, wait and save a little more. Do some more research. I did about a years worth of research and thinking about it. I ended up tripling my budget.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Honestly, wait and save a little more. Do some more research. I did about a years worth of research and thinking about it. I ended up tripling my budget.

I love this idea, but I've run out of space in my pistol safe for my pistol and all the fire assemblies for my rifles, and with plans on another purchase soon, I'm a bit pressed for time (while I've made it a top priority to instruct my kids on gun safety, I still like knowing none of my fire arms are in a firable condition when I'm not at home).

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I know the exact feeling. I had cable locks through the actions of all of my long guns before I got the safe for that very reason. Although easily defeated, it was a good short term solution. I'd say invest in a small home office lock box and extend your temporary storage for now. Although, the used safe market isn't too bad and Johnson offers a trade-in. I'm more of a long game thinker. I could have purchased a Liberty/Winchester/Cannon a year earlier, but I'm glad I waited. Your circumstances are not mine though. Just speaking from my personal situation.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    I bought a Stack On total defense 36-40 gun yesterday as a short term primary/long term secondary safe. $599 sale price at RK in Greenwood. Im aware its not the uber amazing awesome dude safe everyone advocates but for someone whose circumstances suddenly dictate gun storage without the benefit of a year of research I am very satisfied thus far.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I know the exact feeling. I had cable locks through the actions of all of my long guns before I got the safe for that very reason. Although easily defeated, it was a good short term solution. I'd say invest in a small home office lock box and extend your temporary storage for now. Although, the used safe market isn't too bad and Johnson offers a trade-in. I'm more of a long game thinker. I could have purchased a Liberty/Winchester/Cannon a year earlier, but I'm glad I waited. Your circumstances are not mine though. Just speaking from my personal situation.

All very good points. The one I'm looking at is a Mesa MBF5922, and I can pick it up for about $800 (delivered) which is under the price range I had originally set, but is something I can get "for now", and move up to a better unit later (say next winter-ish). I'm normally in the boat with you on a long game thinker (all of my fire arm purchases are after at least a month of research), but I'm just getting less and less comfortable with my temporary solutions for now, and with an upcoming shotgun purchase, removal of the firing assembly isn't in the cards.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I doubt he can fit your budget, but Jeff at Johnson safe is where I get all my safe's. You could not ask/find a nicer, more knowledgeable guy. His product is well worth the wait, and a huge difference between Jeff, and a big box store is when Jeff says delivered be means put in its final resting place. I have roughly 5300 pounds of various products from Jeff. I have never moved any of them a single inch. Hell when I moved houses, he came out, and moved the safe's.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I doubt he can fit your budget, but Jeff at Johnson safe is where I get all my safe's. You could not ask/find a nicer, more knowledgeable guy. His product is well worth the wait, and a huge difference between Jeff, and a big box store is when Jeff says delivered be means put in its final resting place. I have roughly 5300 pounds of various products from Jeff. I have never moved any of them a single inch. Hell when I moved houses, he came out, and moved the safe's.

Yeah, I talked to him at the show, great guy, and I loved the safes. I'm thinking I'll probably go with him on my next purchase (middle to late next year), at which time I'll get a bigger unit, and I can either sell this one, or keep it as an overflow.

BTW, thanks for the info on the optics (I was the guy with Paul that you talked to on Saturday).

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Check our Superior. I have a nice one thinking about down sizing.

My other choice would be Ft Knox.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    I'm about to start on a basement remodeling project and I've earmarked the space under the stairs for some sort of (small) safe room or gun closet. Need to start researching this option.

Top Bottom