14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I've upgraded several maglights to led. I used the bargain kits available online. It was worth it to me, but I'm old school and like my big maglights.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I upgraded my 3C maglight with the nite ize bulb. I like it. Its mounted in the closet as primarily an emergency light for a power outage. every family member has an LED by that light.

MY only beef is it is not quite as easily focusable as incandescent, but it still casts a decent spot. (flood really sucks)

I presume I have the standard upgrades and not the HO versions. It is more than adequate for regular use.

LED Upgrades

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    I have a Maglite I've had since 1995, I just could not dispose of it. I found a conversion by Malkoff and installed it. I would say it's around 300 lumens, throws a nice beam about 200-250 ft and the flood is just OK. The drop in is currently on sale for $39.00.

I have other lights that are as good or better for not much more money but I just want to keep this one as a usable self defense tool, so it was worth it to me.

By the way I have no affiliation with Malkoff.

Pat

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Stay away from the TerraLux conversion kit. The price is good, but the quality isn't. It replaces the bulb and reflector cone and it has two very small pins that plug into the receptacle where the original incandescent bulb goes. Mine was always very loose and the connection didn't always work so half the time I didn't have a usable light. I went ahead and bought a new Magcharger LED and have had no issues with it.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    As grunt said. I have upgraded two sure fires, a 6p and 9p from a xenon bulb to malkoff led drop ins. Caught the drop ins on sale. Also upgraded a mini mag lite. Price on all three upgrades was cheaper than buying the led version of each light. Battery life is much longer, especially with the surefires and the LEDs are brighter than the original bulbs.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    On the topic of Maglite upgrades...

So, I recently found a 2D Maglite from about 20 years ago. Kept it by the bedside for most of the time, then about 10 years ago realized that one of the D cells had popped. Put it in the garage and re-found it.

Pulled the bad D cell out (gee, that was almost fun) and cleaned up the inside as best I could (vinegar, steel wool, and round files). The corrosion is still a stain on the inside, but doesn't appear to spoil the function. I even rigged it to a spare high-lumen LED I had from a small light that busted. So, it does work with 2 D cells, but I don't trust the corrosion that's already in there.

I've read of using PVC to convert the D cell to CR123, and I like that idea. The PVC sleeve would protect the batts from the corrosion. Then, I could also get an aftermarket CREE to have a bright, somewhat heavy (not as heavy as D cells, obviously) and sturdy Maglite.

Any INGOers mess with their Maglites like this?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Why would you do all of this extra expense and conversion work on maglites? You're better off just buying a good light with the features and performance you want from the get go. Good lights aren't that expensive these days. Olight, Fenix, Zebralight, Streamlight, Surefire, and the list goes on.....

Unless you just like tinkering. I can relate to that :cool:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Why would you do all of this extra expense and conversion work on maglites? You're better off just buying a good light with the features and performance you want from the get go. Good lights aren't that expensive these days. Olight, Fenix, Zebralight, Streamlight, Surefire, and the list goes on.....

Unless you just like tinkering. I can relate to that :cool:
    Mostly that last thing. :D

I have all the small, (relatively) high-lumen LED lights I need. (Well, my wife says I have more than I need, but that's a different issue.) ;)

Some google searches reveal that I could try a Maglite "solvent trap." That seems WAY riskier, in several ways.

Figured a battery/LED conversion would satisfy the DIYness with less potential for explosiveness or arrestedness.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Tinkering is at the top of the list of things I enjoy :rockwoot:

Mostly that last thing. :D

I have all the small, (relatively) high-lumen LED lights I need. (Well, my wife says I have more than I need, but that's a different issue.) ;)

Some google searches reveal that I could try a Maglite "solvent trap." That seems WAY riskier, in several ways.

Figured a battery/LED conversion would satisfy the DIYness with less potential for explosiveness or arrestedness.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I prefer keeping the maglite original, but the light is wanting when compared to my surefire.

Yeah this is the other thing (and congrats on 50 posts) ;) with the advancements in lighting tech, I think there's still a (narrow) place for an oversized, sturdy light with really good output. With the old incandescents, the lighting just isn't where it needs to be by to today's standards.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I've had a magcharger since the early 1990's (mounted in my police car when the official YOU WILL USE THIS was a five c-cell Maglight), and converted to LED last year with a kit (brand escapes me) purchased from Amazon. The brightness, especially close in is much better, and battery life is much, much longer.

I realize I could have bought a newer, much nicer light, but this one has been with me for a long time, and I enjoyed bringing it back to a level of modern serviceability. Also, I've trained extensively with it through the years and it may be helpful to have another hand weapon at hand.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I stopped in Menard. I found for under $25.00 a package of two LED 700+ lumens.
    the Variable range is tremendous.
    It has a single LED and uses a 6 "AAA" Module.
    It is about 7 inches long and about 3/4 around battery and about 1 1/4 around LED.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I stopped in Menard. I found for under $25.00 a package of two LED 700+ lumens.
    the Variable range is tremendous.
    It has a single LED and uses a 6 "AAA" Module.
    It is about 7 inches long and about 3/4 around battery and about 1 1/4 around LED.

Beware the lumens fudging. There is a LOT of it going around.

For instance there is a popular Cree Q5 "300lm" flashlight online you can buy for $5. There is only one problem. The Cree LED is rated for 300lm, but not at the current a single AA alkaline battery can produce. to get 300@1.5v you need 1000ma. A single AA battery just cant do that.

But given the number of cells, your light could do it. But as a single LED, I am still wary.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Still using the 5d battering ram purchased in the 1980's maybe 1990. And a 2c from around 1998.

Will look into an led upgrade. The 5d should be able to put out plenty of light with a little assistance.

Will do do am I e google search and see what is up. Love that heavy baseball bat of a flashlight

Top Bottom