• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've had a Streamlight Tlr-1 300 lumen WML for quite some time and it has served me well. I'm looking to pickup another one for an AR mount. I'm debating on whether to take a step up and go with the HL 800 lumen. or stick with the 300 lumen again. Looking for some input from those that have taken the step up.

Is the 300 lumen still adequate for most needs? 800 lumen overkill? Thoughts.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Depends what you want I suppose. 800 lumes in a house is dayum, if you have white walls and are close, IMO it's about max without getting some wall reflection "blindness".

If you want to identify targets at 80-90 yards, yeah it's great.

I have a Surefire X300B at 600 lumens and really like it. I've only played with the HL before but don't own one yet. It's a lot of light and maybe for certain purposes overkill but that depends on you, but I'm sure Streamlight did the testing and research to make the 800 lumens not overkill indoors

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah my 800 lumen "overkill" concern is with indoor applications. Don't have much call for outdoor night shooting at 80-90 yards but then again I don't really have much call for indoor night shooting :D I'm planning on mounting it on an AR 5.56 10.5" pistol with a Thorntail offset mount that I used on an AR 9mm pistol which is geared more for CQB and it worked really well with the Streamlight TLR-1 so that's why i'm leaning towards picking up another 300 lumen. Now if it were a "truck" gun I can see an 800 lumen coming in handy.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Use the spill of the beam to search, not the hot spot?
    Yeah that is my understanding of the proper way to do a search especially indoors. Using the spill also avoids pointing the muzzle directly at something you don't intend to shoot.

whitemamba91

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2017
    South Bend
    i just bought one for my fnx 45and its slightly overkill. it has a really nice spill and makes scanning a room really easy. shine it in one spot and you can see the whole room. with that said if you hit a white wall or glass at all it it washes your eyes out

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Yeah that is my understanding of the proper way to do a search especially indoors. Using the spill also avoids pointing the muzzle directly at something you don't intend to shoot.

I do a lot of building searches and just shining a light on the floor in front of you (with a weapon mounted light) will usually light up an entire room. Normally I use my hand held light to shine on the ceiling, which works a whole lot better than you think it would. It's not as effective in large buildings like warehouses, but in a residence it works great.

Top Bottom