Has anyone ever had scope mount screws walk out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    Most people recommend loctite on their scope mount screws. Has anyone ever had any of the screws on the scope mount walk out on them?

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I had them walk out on my Burris PEPR on my AR. Remounted with blue loctite. Have wondered if it was because I didn't tighten enough because I didn't want to hurt my new scope. Either way I'm sure it won't happen again.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    This may be stupid to admit, but many years ago I had an awful time sighting in a rifle in 7.62x39. 3 Shots, adjust scope, 3 more readjust scope, this went on for an hour (I was very young and dumb) had adjusted scope to max in all 4 directions and still couldn't do better than 8" pattern at 25 yards. Was about to give up and when I fired final round I actually saw the scope bounce in my vision. The rear base screws had worked loose, eventually falling out and the scope bas jumping about a quarter inch with every shot. Rings were tight so when I adjusted the scope it did not move. This of course beat the crap out of the scope and I had to send it to manufacturer for repair. I did not tell them the story. Now degrease, blue Loctite, torque, and check for any looseness. Learned that as soon as you have an unusual problem, stop and check out the basics before anymore changes are made.

nettinyahoo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    South Bend
    I had a similar experience as Old Dog but with my Marlin 1894. Also broke the scope in the process. Loctite has held for years but I always wonder if the last shot might have knocked them loose again.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Tighten them to proper torque specification for that fastener and they will not come loose unless one or both threads are out of spec. If a fastener breaks doing that, then you didn't want it on there anyway.

I have used Loctite, and wished later that I had not and had only just followed the advice above.

But if you must use it, use BLUE. NOT red, and though green penetrating grade can work, it will get all over everything.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Use a paint pen to put a witness mark on the screws.
    Indeed. I forgot that. The only thing I will add is to use a paint pen to put indexes on EVERything that can move, and some things that "can't".

I also use paint to mark focus points on adjustable oculars, and for zeroes for various yardages...because counting clicks is stupid when you have really good dope.

HobbyLobby has what you needs...get fine ones and regular point in several colors. Red, white, and blue come first.

-Nate

courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    Indeed. I forgot that. The only thing I will add is to use a paint pen to put indexes on EVERything that can move, and some things that "can't".

I also use paint to mark focus points on adjustable oculars, and for zeroes for various yardages...because counting clicks is stupid when you have really good dope.

HobbyLobby has what you needs...get fine ones and regular point in several colors. Red, white, and blue come first.

-Nate

Does that stuff wash off if you ever wanted to clean it up for resale value?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Yeah, the paint comes right off with acetone. Obviously don't put it on plastic parts unless you are really sure you want it to STAY on there...though a Q-tip with nail polish remover will usually do the job without using full-strength acetone.

Full strength acetone is just perfect on steel and anodized aluminum but it does no favors to rubber or plastic.

I haven't tried mineral spirits on the paint, but I bet it would work (since the paint is oil-based), and it wouldn't harm the plastic. I'll try it after a bit and let you know!

-Nate

courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the help guys, I just mounted a Stiener 1-4x on an American Defense mount, for some reason I am paranoid about the screws walking out on me. Gonna try the nail polish try and see how it works.

Top Bottom