Best Red-Dot Sight Under $200 for Entry-Level AR-15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So, I've decided that my birthday present to myself this year will be the Ruger AR-556, which will be my first foray into AR-15 ownership. I would like to get optics for it, since I've only ever used bare iron when shooting any of my firearms thus far.

I would like a decent red-dot sight (as opposed to a scope), mounted for co-witnessing with the onboard F-height A2 front sight, but don't want to pay $400+ for it. I've done a bit of research, and have come up with the following "short list". I'm interested in comments on the listed optics, as well as any suggestions for others (including ones that may cost less than the $150-200 range of the ones listed, if there are any that you think might be suitable).

Based on my reading and understanding of what I'm looking for, I'm really leaning toward the Holosun or the Vortex StrikeFire II. I am very open to being persuaded for or against those, or for something else.

Thanks in advance!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The Bushnell was tested by our range and was one of the recommended optics for patrol rifles. I trust the guys who tested it and the testing procedure.

I have a Vortex for a few reasons, some or none of which may matter to you. The reticle is etched. If the battery dies or the unit dies, you still have a reticle, it's just not lit any longer...basically a traditional scope at that point. I like the shape of the reticle and the sharpness of it. My color vision isn't 100%, and dark red blends into some background colors for me, meaning I have to turn a red dot up more than others to see it. The more you turn it up, the bigger/fuzzier it is. I can use green at lower/sharper levels in many more situations.

Also, you didn't ask but I'd go with the S&W M&P II over the Ruger. The Ruger has some proprietary parts, which can make future upgrades more of a challenge. For the same money, I'd go S&W...and it's $500 at Primary Arms right now: Smith & Wesson M&P 15 SPORT II 5.56 16"

That's a lot of gun for the money, IMO.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Ref TSR-25, can't speak to the tacticool aspects, but I had mine on my 357 Mag Level Action, 9mm Glock, and several 22s (do they even count) and it has held up fine.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I would go with Vortex. The optic is top notch for what you want, and it comes with a lifetime warranty. The Vortex warranty can't be beat.

I'll also recommend working with Alan at AA Optics.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Another vote for the TRS-25. Mine has held up through carbine classes in the pouring rain, gotten muddy, dropped, and banged around and is still going strong and has held zero through it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I would spend more money and go with an Aimpoint PRO, but if that is not an option, the Bushnell. Overall they have done very well at their price point. I used one on an AK until I put an Aimpint Micro on it. It did fog up on me at a 4 day rifle class where it was pouring rain and in the mid thirties, but Bushnell did end up replacing it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I would spend more money and go with an Aimpoint PRO, but if that is not an option, the Bushnell. Overall they have done very well at their price point. I used one on an AK until I put an Aimpint Micro on it. It did fog up on me at a 4 day rifle class where it was pouring rain and in the mid thirties, but Bushnell did end up replacing it.

I don't have a problem with paying $400 for higher-quality optics, but probably not for what I intend to be a "starter" rifle, that itself will only cost $600. With both the rifle and the optics, I intend for this particular setup to be what I learn with, so that in the future, I know what I'm doing, if/when I want to upgrade. So, for a $600 rifle, I'd really like to keep the optics to $200 or under.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The Bushnell was tested by our range and was one of the recommended optics for patrol rifles. I trust the guys who tested it and the testing procedure.

Ref TSR-25, can't speak to the tacticool aspects, but I had mine on my 357 Mag Level Action, 9mm Glock, and several 22s (do they even count) and it has held up fine.

Another vote for the TRS-25. Mine has held up through carbine classes in the pouring rain, gotten muddy, dropped, and banged around and is still going strong and has held zero through it.

Lots of love for the Bushnell. I may have to get one, just because. I assume that I can always throw it on a target pistol if I decide I like the Vortex better. For $65, why not?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I have a Vortex for a few reasons, some or none of which may matter to you. The reticle is etched. If the battery dies or the unit dies, you still have a reticle, it's just not lit any longer...basically a traditional scope at that point. I like the shape of the reticle and the sharpness of it. My color vision isn't 100%, and dark red blends into some background colors for me, meaning I have to turn a red dot up more than others to see it. The more you turn it up, the bigger/fuzzier it is. I can use green at lower/sharper levels in many more situations.

I would go with Vortex. The optic is top notch for what you want, and it comes with a lifetime warranty. The Vortex warranty can't be beat.

I'll also recommend working with Alan at AA Optics.

That's two vote-of-confidence for the Vortex, from among the optics in the $150-200 price range. I take it that you guys like it better than the Holosun? If so, is there any particular reason?

I'm also interested in comparing red and green dot settings. My eyes can be...funny (very near-sighted, terribly astigmatic, cross-dominant, but good with color differentiation as far as I know). So, that was one of the things that interested me about the Vortex.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Also, you didn't ask but I'd go with the S&W M&P II over the Ruger. The Ruger has some proprietary parts, which can make future upgrades more of a challenge. For the same money, I'd go S&W...and it's $500 at Primary Arms right now: Smith & Wesson M&P 15 SPORT II 5.56 16"

That's a lot of gun for the money, IMO.

I appreciate the recommendation. Those are the two that I've been comparing, actually. I've been trying to do a lot of research, watching a lot of reviews/comparisons, etc.

I don't plan on doing any future upgrades on this rifle (never say never, though, right?). I really just want a stock, entry-level rifle to learn with. The 8:1 rifling in the Ruger barrel seems to be preferable to the 9:1 in the S&W. The Ruger has a forward assist and a dust cover (being new to the AR-15, I honestly don't know how necessary/useful those are?). They both have an identical stock (just stamped with different logos). And while I don't plan on making modifications, I'm curious about the proprietary delta ring on the Ruger, that allows for easy removal of the hand guard. And they're both $619 at Bob's shop (which, I'm assuming is pretty comparable to having something shipped from Primary Arms, plus the FFL transfer fee?). And, if all else is equal, I just like Ruger guns.

We'll see. I probably have a few months to make a final decision.

mototc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    I've got several red dots including a Vortex Sparc 2, Eotech, and a Holosun HS503GU. I can honestly say that the Holosun is by far my favorite. It is much more compact, I'm my opinion built just as well, and has a selectable reticle with both 2 MOA dot and 65 MOA Circle with 2 MOA dot. I prefer the GU because is has the side access battery. At first I ordered one of the new Sig red dots (made by Holosun) but has some real quality control issues that I've never seen on a Holosun branded model. The Sig Romeo 4 has a battery tray and those screws that secure the batter tray are extremely small diameter with fine thread. Mine were cross threaded from the factory and there were also machining issues on the body so I returned it and ordered the aforementioned Holosun. It's been really solid. I like the new Vortex Sparc AR however it specifically designed for the AR and does not have multiple base heights.
    Now with this being said, the Holosun model I own cost about $120 more that the Sparc 2 but IMO it's well worth the additional features. The guys over at Holosun USA are pretty responsive and the warranty is decent....not lifetime though which is where the Vortex shines.

mototc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Chip Bennett..
    Purchased a Ruger earlier in the year and feel it is on par or better than some of the more basic AR's I have owned. I only wish it came with a chrome lined barrel. Haven't done anything with the handguard so cant attest the delta ring but their concept seems solid. I'll play around with mine and let you know how it works.
    I also second Alan at AA Optics, he has always been excellent to work with should you decide to go the Vortex route.
    I see a previous mention of Primary Arms, I'm sure most realize these are also a private label made by Holosun. You see Holosun patented features in all three of these lines.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That's two vote-of-confidence for the Vortex, from among the optics in the $150-200 price range. I take it that you guys like it better than the Holosun? If so, is there any particular reason?

I'm also interested in comparing red and green dot settings. My eyes can be...funny (very near-sighted, terribly astigmatic, cross-dominant, but good with color differentiation as far as I know). So, that was one of the things that interested me about the Vortex.
    I hadn't heard of holosun, but looking at their warranty it doesn't compare to Vortex's.

I use both the red and green for the dots in different situations.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have no experience with Holosun and have no input.

The Sport II from S&W also has the forward assist and dust cover. The minute difference in twist is a non-issue.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I love the Vortex on one of my SBR uppers, and I'm looking at getting the Bushnell for a shotgun build I just did...

I might also throw the Lucid HD7 in the ring, have it on my other SBR upper, has an inexpensive 2x magnifier option, multiple reticles, the auto light sensing works well (at least to me), and lower 1/3 co-witness (neither of my SBR uppers has BUIS so I had to look that part up). Every reticle had held zero just fine for me switching between them, really love the circle dot, and the rubber armoring holds up to the occasional ding or scratch when carrying it through the woods. (my shortie is my "woods varmint" gun). Also under $200.
    LUCID HD7 Generation III Red Dot Sight

I vote the Strikefire II and Lucid HD7 as pretty much a dead tie in my book. Lucid doesn't come with caps, Vortex has only one reticle, if either of them added the feature they're missing I like, it'd be the winner.

My

Top Bottom