• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    In another thread, someone mentioned that having an astigmatism and using a red dot sight could mean the dot is blurry. I had no idea about this. Many years ago (about 1999 or 2000), I had a cheap Tasco red dot on a Super Redhawk and the dot was kinda "starburst" like. I just figured that was how it was supposed to be as I had never use a red dot before. It really didn't bother me though.

I will be buying some sort of RDS in the next month or so for my AR. I had kinda figured on the Bushnell TRS-25 or TRS-32. But reading up on this problem, I'm not sure now. Supposedly, a pair of polorized glasses and or leaving the rear sight up will help out. But is there another optic, under $200, that will help out with this problem?

I need to do a little window shopping at my LGS and see what I like anyway before I buy anything.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I also have an astigmatism and find using the lowest brightness setting I can get by with helps to reduce the "starburst" effect of RD's.

While I still use RD's, I recently picked up a Spitfire from Alan and the starburst is gone. The "downside" to prism sights is that they don't work well with magnifiers that are used with the RD's.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I also have an astigmatism and find using the lowest brightness setting I can get by with helps to reduce the "starburst" effect of RD's.

While I still use RD's, I recently picked up a Spitfire from Alan and the starburst is gone. The "downside" to prism sights is that they don't work well with magnifiers that are used with the RD's.

Thanks. I don't plan on using a magnifier so that won't be an issue. I'll try a few out and see how I feel about them, then give Allen a call.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Looking through a rear aperture can help but it's not a real fix IMO. The prism looks very good to me. A bit heavy and a bit of paralax but worth it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I tried out a TRS-25 while at Bass Pro on Saturday. Inwas happy with what I saw. On a low power setting, there was little starburst. Even turning the brightness up, it wasn't horrible. I'd still like to find a prism sight to compare it to though before I buy something.

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    +1 on the prism sight. I have a Gen 1 Spitfire 1x and love it. Very crisp circle and dot. Paralax is really limited on the 1x. Can't speak to the 3x. The new AR-specific Spitfire looks really nice and is high on my list of next purchases.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    So I have an astigmatism on my right eye. When I look through my aimpoint t1, the dot isnt a clear crisp dot, but to me looks more like a line similar to a slash \ ..... I know its not the optic as I can go support hand and eye and the dot looks crisp.....

This happens to me on all red dots that I own including multiple aimpoint t1s and trijicon rmr, so even on higher end red dots you might not get a crisp dot.

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    Vortex Strikefire II has been working fine for me, with severe astigmatism in my dominant eye. Ringing 1/3 size torso steel at 100 yds all day long with both eyes open. With a bit of searching, it can be had for around $150 with mount included. It can be a red or green dot, and I find that the green seems quicker for me to pick up in bright conditions.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I don't have astigmatism and I had this issue, turned out that I was slightly near sighted, now with my glasses on the dot is clear and round, even on the cheap red dots.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I fight this....
    astigmatism contacts are weighted to get correct orientation. sometimes as the eyes dry out, or you just blink, they change orientation. that changes how I see the dot considerably. I've seen as much as a 2moa change in POI. I chased the zero for a while until I realized what was going on. I can still make solid hits to 200 which is all I really cared about w/ my SBR, but it has me thinking about going to a 1-4. I really like the light weight and durability of the T1, so I'm putting up with it...

-rvb

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    So I have an astigmatism on my right eye. When I look through my aimpoint t1, the dot isnt a clear crisp dot, but to me looks more like a line similar to a slash \ ..... I know its not the optic as I can go support hand and eye and the dot looks crisp.....

This happens to me on all red dots that I own including multiple aimpoint t1s and trijicon rmr, so even on higher end red dots you might not get a crisp dot.

I have this same issue. With my strong eye, the dots are actually a slash with the upper left being brighter. I just use that as my aiming point and have never had an issue. I tried looking through the red dots with my other eye, but it's actually worse. Turning the brightness down as low as it can be while still seeing the dot makes a huge difference.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    All my guns wear scopes because of my astigmatism. I can get by with a dot if I have to. Looks like a starburst or a big hazy red spider web. Eotech really sucked for me.

I have yet to find a decent prism with a reticle I liked. Will look into the spitfire. Also wanted to look through an ACOG or an illuminated scope.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    It's crazy how different things look to different people. Astigmatism is a cornea shape caused problem and we're all different. My EOTech looks really good to me. I don't know what was done differently in the new Sig red dot but that dot looks pretty good to me as well. I'd like to hear what you other astigmatism brothers think of that one.

Dirtdart504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    I have a slight astigmatism in my right eye. Had LASIK a few years ago. Corrected the vision but not the astigmatism. I used to have a Vortex Sparc AR and the dot was fuzzy. I now have a Spitfire AR and really like it. The reticle has a 140 MOA outer ring, a 44 MOA inner ring, and a 3 MOA dot in the center. I find it very clear. The only issue is that when I tried to zero it with the red reticle on an orange and white target I couldn't see the center dot. Easily fixed by switching to green. I like the Spitfire so much I just got a second for another rifle. The new one isn't the AR version.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    As others said turning down the brightness makes the star effect go away.

If you are blinking and the contact is rolling then you need to find a new eye Dr., Correct astigmatism contacts do not roll when you blink. Acuvue Oasis is the ONLY contact that will work for me.

Top Bottom