• ...and so much more!
  • alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burns Harbor by the Dunes
    Looking for a scope for my first AR15, no red dots. Most of my shooting will be 100 yards, but once every few years maybe 200 max.
    I have been to three different gun shops and been on the internet for the better part of three days. Sometimes I think I found the scope for me but I just can't pull the trigger one one.
    I have three in mind but I could be swayed.
    Nikon Monarch 3 1x4x20
    Vortex Crossfire II 1x4x24 illuminated or not.
    Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6x24
    Any comments or suggestions to help me will be appreciated.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Get in touch with Alan at AA Optics. Tell him what you want to do and he will help point you in the right direction.

Welcome to A&A Optics Inc - Certified Vortex Dealer

:+1: This.....Alan will point you in the right direction and is priced competitively...

Upthread the Barska scopes were mentioned...I have never had good luck with Barska products...I have had 3 (on a rifle I bought or traded for) and tossed them all and bought Vortex Crossfire II's...

alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    I don't get out shooting very often a but I will change that. I like to do things right the first time and it takes me a long time to make a financial decision. That said the Strike Eagle is at the top of my budget and my wish list. I am open to suggestions.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Of the 3 you listed, the Vortex would be your best choice. I personally like the 2.5X10 scopes on an AR, but there are many other options out there.

PS: Pease don't buy a Barska as suggested above. Same goes for BSA, NC Star, UTG, and the rest of the crew fighting for the bottom tier of the ladder.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Definitely talk to Alan.

He also had some refurb Vortexes. Last month he still had a PST 1-4 for $360.

A refurb would be a great choice. I picked up one of his Viper 1-4s refurbs and it works just as well as new. And you still get Vortex's warranty, hard to beat that. I would suggest contacting Alan as mentioned and talking with him about it.

Honestly, try not to over think it too much. At 100-200 yards, any of the optics you suggested would be a great option.

bman940

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    N. Tx
    Since I do some freelance work for Nikon I have 2 suggestions for you. First is the M-223 2-8x32 BDC 600. This is a low profile scope built with MONARCH glass that will make shots at 200 yards easy and dial it back to 2 or 3 and you're shooting targets at 100 yards and in. My second suggestion and one I'm sure non of you are aware of is Nikon's brand new BLACK Series of scopes. The Black Force 1000 1-4x24 with Illuminated reticle and 30mm tube and best of all, $399! This scope is still a few weeks away from hitting retailers but judging from the feedback Nikon has received it's going to do well. It was made on specs guy's have been asking me about for 3 years. There's also higher magnification choices also with MOA/MRAD reticle and Illumination. Defintely worth checking out. Plus the electronics on these riflescopes fall under Nikon's No Fault Policy. You won't find that anywhere else I believe.

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-15%20at%2011.56.18%20AM.png

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Of the 3 you listed, the Vortex would be your best choice. I personally like the 2.5X10 scopes on an AR, but there are many other options out there.

PS: Pease don't buy a Barska as suggested above. Same goes for BSA, NC Star, UTG, and the rest of the crew fighting for the bottom tier of the ladder.
    I agree with most of those but UTG has really stepped up their game. They are making quality products at a very nice Price range.

OP, I used a Bushnell 1-4x24. AT 100 yards this was plenty of magnification for me. I thought the glass was very clear and gave a very nice view range. And they come in at a great price.
    Bushnell - 1-4x 24mm

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    If I remember right the Nikon M-223 scopes were designed around the .223/5.56 trejectory so that you can use the mil dots for various ranges without changing your settings.

alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    While visiting my daughter in Michigan I stopped by a local Cabela's. I was pleased to see they had a Strike Eagle 1x6 that I could inspect. I was pretty impressed with it until the sales associate pulled out a 1x4 Vortex Viper PST. All I can say is wow what a difference in optics. The SE was marked $359 and the Viper was reduced to $399. I was not in a position to buy at the time and left the store with visions of Vipers and eagles in my head. Now I wish I would have pulled out my credit card and bought the Viper.
    Any thoughts on the Viper?

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Viper is a great optic. As was mentioned, aa optics (an INGO site supporter and IN business) has refurb Vipers for $360. Check out his site here: Welcome to A&A Optics Inc - Certified Vortex Dealer

my only hesitation on buying one of their 1-4s is Vortex just announced their Gen 2 PST line which includes a 1-6x PST. While I don't feel handicapped with 4x magnification, 6x would be nice. This is assuming equal glass quality in each scope.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    When I want an optic, I pm 42769vette (Alan) with my budget an intended use and I take his advice. Alan knows optics, nuts to bolts, and if there is a better optic for you somewhere else, he will tell you that straight up, rather than selling you on something he has in stock. He is also very generous with the Indiana shooting community, with his time, land and inventory.

alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Vortex Viper 1X4 PST. When I started looking for a scope for my flat top AR15 I never thought I would spend $399 on a rifle scope. I looked at quite a few and after looking through the Viper I could not settle for anything less. Now I need to get a mount for it so a new journey begins.

Thanks to all who added to this thread.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Vortex Viper 1X4 PST. When I started looking for a scope for my flat top AR15 I never thought I would spend $399 on a rifle scope. I looked at quite a few and after looking through the Viper I could not settle for anything less. Now I need to get a mount for it so a new journey begins.

Thanks to all who added to this thread.
    Excellent choice IMO. :yesway:

Top Bottom