Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I've had a few over the years. I collect Milsurps, so I leave them alone. Russians have the best re-sale value. Milled receiver is better than stamped. In my opion "eastern bloc" SKS are the ones to have. I would either get a Russian or a Yugoslavian.

Best thing to add to an SKS?

Ammo

They tend to be pretty reliable as built. The stocks can be a little short, at least on the Chinese, don't know about the others. A new stock or an add on recoil pad cures that. The milled receivers are better.

I put a Williams peep sight on mine. Its really great. Besides that, I'd say its up to you. I wouldn't dump a lot of money into it trying to make it what it isn't. One of the best things for it is defiantly ammo.

all you need with an sks is ammo the are fun to shoot and dont even let you know you have been shooting for hours

Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk80 View Post
    I put a Williams peep sight on mine. Its really great. Besides that, I'd say its up to you. I wouldn't dump a lot of money into it trying to make it what it isn't. One of the best things for it is defiantly ammo.
    Thats the key right there, get a sight set up you like, then just shoot it.

Folks tend to want to add a bunch of crap to a rifle they buy to keep in stride with the AR tacticool crowd. Most parts (with some exceptions) are like aftermarket Glock parts: Look stupid and reduce the functionality of the gun.

I can tell you a few parts to AVOID:
    Top cover mounted scope mounts, handguard scope mounts, folding stocks (looks goofy). If you want a scope, get a reciever mounted one and get someone to drill and tap it onto the reciever. Its the only stable way to do it. Most of the detachable (except the Tapco ones, IMHO) work horribly and add yet another thing that could go wrong.

Just shoot her and love it to death!
    Gone! See you all in the funny pages!

I wouldnt worry about a bunch of add ons either. The only thing I would do is change it over so it can hold 30 round mags.

A decent site to go to for sks knowledge is
    Collecting and Shooting the SKS Carbine - Disassembly and Reassembly. They have real good instructions on how to's for the SKS,

A good place for parts:
    Buymilsurp.com, Your source for military surplus.
    Last edited by target64; 07-31-2009 at 18:36.
    Sometimes I wonder.........and at other times......... I just do not care.

IMO, the only mod needed on an SKS is a spring on the firing pin. Otherwise, just keep it stock.

If you buy a Yugo, check the bore first. The Yugos don't have chrome lined bores, and can be terribly corroded if not properly cleaned or stored. I spent DAYS trying to clean out a very badly stored Yugo once, and the bore still looked like a sewer pipe when I was done.

CLEAN OFF ALL THE COSMOLINE...EVERYWHERE. The easiest way I've found to do this is by boiling all the metal parts in a pot you don't really care for (it leaves a nasty residue), and then promptly drying and oiling them. Pay special attention to the gas tube and firing pin channel...cosmoline hardens when heated, and if you leave some around the firing pin, it can cause slamfires.

I had a Tapco T6 stock on my last one, and in addition to looking cool, I thought it was an ergonomic improvement over the wooden stock. If you want to put a scope on it, have a gunsmith drill and tap the reciever for your scope mount...most of the crappy ones that mount over the gas tube will lose zero easily when you fire, because they're not very stable.

The SKS is a fine rifle. Enjoy it.
    Mossberg 500, Lakefield MKII

Plinker
    got a russian love mine put a scope and bipod on it and got some removeable mags. also just for fun a few years ago i was at a gun show and picked up what they called a hell fire system for it. It is just a spring more or less that set behind the trigger and uses the recoil from the gun to make it almost full auto. it is fun but you burn alot of ammo that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2