• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm looking for some relatively cheap replacement sights for my wife's RIA GI model 1911. Want something larger and easier to see and acquire than the standard sights, easily installed without machining, but can't afford much.

Looking for recommendations for decent basic sights, plain black is fine also.

TIA :)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Maryland Arms something, not sure, makes replacement tenon and GI dovetail sights that they sell on Midway. Supposedly they are pretty good and came out in response to the demand created by the RIA guns.

If feeling particularly racey, Trijicon makes night sights (check tenon size though, I think they are standard colt, not the Springer one) for that same situation. :)

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    I've bought a couple of sets of these off ebay for RIA 1911s from reddogxxalaskan. They took some filing/fitting but I got them to work. Very inexpensive too.
    b8_1.jpg

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    The RIA takes a NARROW tenon front sight and has a Colt cut rear dovetail (sometimes called standard cut or government cut).

If you've not done this before, I'd suggest you take it to a smith that will do it for you. Due to the tenon on the front sight, you'll need a staking tool to do this right and that'll make it a much more pricey proposition.

As mentioned, Trijicon makes a set if you want to get some night sights, but be warned, this is risky to do as it's easy to break the vile on the front sight while staking it.

I've installed the Fusion sights with success. Sight Set Government 3-Dot, MIL STD

dkc485

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Greenwood
    Man, I just did this with my RIA! the parts i used were a colt high profile rear sight and a Maryland Gun works Improved ramp front site. the colt high profile front site was too short for what i needed, so i went with the MGW. I used the colt rear to keep it looking as G.I. as possible.

had to take it to a 'smith to get it done, but he gave me a good price since i already had the parts. I'll try and post some pics of my RIA as soon as I can

Top Bottom