• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Anybody have a favorite recipe for loading 9mm target loads?
    I don't want these for self defense just accuracy.
    I have read that the subsonic 147gr bullets work well but anybody with some hands on experiance here?

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    Try working up loads using HS-6 combined with Winchester 115 grain JHP, or 115 grain FMJ-FB bullets. Both provide excellent accuracy and consistency for me.

Another bullet that works really well for me using 6.6 grains of HS-6 is the Speer 124 grain GDHP. But, please, work your loads up incrementally for safety... Otay, Dude? :thumbsup:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Yea I always do my own work ups sometimes I will try a load someone suggest if it is safely below max printed data.
    Thanks for the feed back though. I have never tried HS 6 before.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Ive had great luck with 115's and Vhit N320.

Keep in mind that most calibers will be their most accurate at the slower end of their velocity range.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Ive had great luck with 115's and Vhit N320.

Keep in mind that most calibers will be their most accurate at the slower end of their velocity range.

I have been wanting to try Vihtavuori for some time now, I have never used it sounds like a good cartridge to experiment on.
    Thanks

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    It is getting expensive, and harder to find, but after you try it, you will understand why the demand for it is so high. It is the softest recoiling powder I've ever tried. It meters beautifully, and it is very consistent. Single digit standard deviation is not that uncommon, even batch to batch.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    The outdoors man in greenwood carries it locally but that is why I havent tried it in my rifles. Because of cost I was afraid I might like it :)

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    The most accurate 9mm loads I've found used the Hornady 124 FMJ FP (Flat Point). I don't buy much of them because it's a lot cheaper to buy bulk 115 or 124 FMJ-RN bullets.

I haven't loaded much 147 grain, because when loaded to equal Powe Factors, the 147 recoil feels a lot milder than my carry ammo.
    I like the 124s and 115s.
    A lot of people find 115s to be less accurate than 124 or 147, but I don't see much, if any, difference when using typical bulk bullets from Rem, Win, Zero, etc.

When loaded to the same power factor, or close, the 124s give less felt recoil than 115s (to me, anyway).
    I usually load 115s just to get that slightly sharper recoil, so it feels more like my carry ammo. I use 124s when I want less recoil, like trying to do my best in the IDPA Classifier.

Powders:
    VV N330 works great. I love t. But it's expensive, and since I used up a bunch I got for "a deal" I haven;t bought any more.
    5.0 grains of VV N330 with a 115 FMJ is very accurate.

Winchester 231 is good. It was my standard for a long time. I loaded 4.9 grains with a 115 bullet, and 4.4 with a 124.
    Then I got one gun that didn't like that W231/115 FMJ load and I had to start experimenting again.

TiteGroup works well. It's my "fallback" powder when W231 doesn't work well.

Some people like Power Pistol powder. I like it OK, but it seemed to give it's best accuracy at higher velocities. I found that good info to have, but not what I needed at the time. I keep it in mind for if/when I need an accurate load with more zip.
    It seemed louder to me than the other powders, but you're burning more of it than the other powders.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    At Rose, I ran what the club ran:
    124gr LRN over 4.3gr of Green Dot (I want to say it chronoed at 1200 fps?)

It was a good, soft shooting load and was accurate enough for what I asked of it. The main downside is the smoke and that it was dirty. 200 rounds of a similar recipe (230gr LRN over 4.3 of green dot) in my XD-45 and the LCI was stuck in the up position. The first match that a friend and I shot at Riley, Dave asked us if we were shooting black powder.

I'm going to work up both a load for 125 grain and 147 grain HAP bullets once I get a press in here.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    cool good info. I am getting ready to go through my brass and do some trials.
    I want to use it for steel plate so the lighter recoil heaver bullets at least 124's may be what I start with

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    3.3 gr. Titegroup under a 147gr. FMJ = FUN! They are very mild, only about 800 FPS, accurate, will cycle most guns very well (cycled a Glock and Beretta at time of testing).

Cheers!

I really like titegroup on my lite .45 LSWC loads.
    I have seen a couple of other posts using it as well. I plan on trying it first.
    The 147's sound good to. I just need to decide and order some

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    At Rose, I ran what the club ran:
    124gr LRN over 4.3gr of Green Dot (I want to say it chronoed at 1200 fps?)

It was a good, soft shooting load and was accurate enough for what I asked of it. The main downside is the smoke and that it was dirty. 200 rounds of a similar recipe (230gr LRN over 4.3 of green dot) in my XD-45 and the LCI was stuck in the up position. The first match that a friend and I shot at Riley, Dave asked us if we were shooting black powder.

I'm going to work up both a load for 125 grain and 147 grain HAP bullets once I get a press in here.

Yeah, the lead is pretty dirty. I've been thinking about picking up some plated 124gr bullets to try with the same load to see if that cuts down on the smoke. 1200fps give or take sounds right to me... as long as it makes minor I'm happy.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I really like titegroup on my lite .45 LSWC loads.
    I have seen a couple of other posts using it as well. I plan on trying it first.
    The 147's sound good to. I just need to decide and order some
    Neat thing is that formula works not only in jacketed, but lead (or plated) as well! The plated/lead has a touch more velo due to the sealing effect, however, at only a max of 850 fps, cant beat a good gas seal, heavy slow accurate bullet!

Titegroup burns quick too, so its relatively clean, not to mention the pressure curve is awesome for alot of guns. Unlocks the action late enough to keep the pressure up longer so that you can get more consistency. Tried the same load in Unique but "felt" like it unlocked my Hi Power too early. Blue dot is an absolute mess and HP38 just plain sucks in 9x19 (in my experience). 231, Titegroup and even Bullseye are killer in 147!

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am loading 147gr 9mm plated Berrys with AA No5. I just discovered that the Lee manual says to load at 4.0-4.4 grains No5, (just like lead) but AA lists only the the Hornady XTP 147 gr jacketed (?) bullets at 4.8-5.3 grains No5. The lower load for the plated says ~800-900 fps while the XTP's says 1100-1200 fps. Is it really that bad of an idea to drive the plated bullets at the higher speed? Otherwise pressures ought to be *similar* (?) for the same weight and close shape and size? Any thoughts?

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Berry's and Rainier both caution against high velocities because they say the copper plating can be stripped off in the barrel. I have regularly driven plated bullets to 1250 fps without problem. Both manufacturers say you will get superior accuracy at the lower velocity. They both recommend real jacketed bullets for the reall high velocity work, such as hunting. Plated bullets are mainly designed for economical practice and target work where the high q

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Powders for 9mm

Mainy powders work well for 9mm. The main problem is matching bullet diameter to barrel.
    I have had best success with 231/HP38 and WAP/Silhouette

Top Bottom