Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Diamond Collision Services AllenM's Avatar

9mm Target loads?

Anybody have a favorite recipe for loading 9mm target loads?
    I don't want these for self defense just accuracy.
    I have read that the subsonic 147gr bullets work well but anybody with some hands on experiance here?
    Blessed are those who in the face of evil can focus on the front sight.

Try working up loads using HS-6 combined with Winchester 115 grain JHP, or 115 grain FMJ-FB bullets. Both provide excellent accuracy and consistency for me.

Another bullet that works really well for me using 6.6 grains of HS-6 is the Speer 124 grain GDHP. But, please, work your loads up incrementally for safety... Otay, Dude?
    I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Yea I always do my own work ups sometimes I will try a load someone suggest if it is safely below max printed data.
    Thanks for the feed back though. I have never tried HS 6 before.

Master
    You want your practice load to have the same POI as your carry ammo. FWIW.
    AMERICA - Clinging to our GUNS and RELIGION since 1776.

NRA Certified Instructor - Rifle, Pistol
    www.danvilleconservationclub.org
    www.jpfrog.org

Marksman
    Ive had great luck with 115's and Vhit N320.

Keep in mind that most calibers will be their most accurate at the slower end of their velocity range.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Elzinga View Post
    Ive had great luck with 115's and Vhit N320.

Keep in mind that most calibers will be their most accurate at the slower end of their velocity range.

I have been wanting to try Vihtavuori for some time now, I have never used it sounds like a good cartridge to experiment on.
    Thanks

Marksman
    It is getting expensive, and harder to find, but after you try it, you will understand why the demand for it is so high. It is the softest recoiling powder I've ever tried. It meters beautifully, and it is very consistent. Single digit standard deviation is not that uncommon, even batch to batch.

The outdoors man in greenwood carries it locally but that is why I havent tried it in my rifles. Because of cost I was afraid I might like it

Marksman
    The most accurate 9mm loads I've found used the Hornady 124 FMJ FP (Flat Point). I don't buy much of them because it's a lot cheaper to buy bulk 115 or 124 FMJ-RN bullets.

I haven't loaded much 147 grain, because when loaded to equal Powe Factors, the 147 recoil feels a lot milder than my carry ammo.
    I like the 124s and 115s.
    A lot of people find 115s to be less accurate than 124 or 147, but I don't see much, if any, difference when using typical bulk bullets from Rem, Win, Zero, etc.

When loaded to the same power factor, or close, the 124s give less felt recoil than 115s (to me, anyway).
    I usually load 115s just to get that slightly sharper recoil, so it feels more like my carry ammo. I use 124s when I want less recoil, like trying to do my best in the IDPA Classifier.

Powders:
    VV N330 works great. I love t. But it's expensive, and since I used up a bunch I got for "a deal" I haven;t bought any more.
    5.0 grains of VV N330 with a 115 FMJ is very accurate.

Winchester 231 is good. It was my standard for a long time. I loaded 4.9 grains with a 115 bullet, and 4.4 with a 124.
    Then I got one gun that didn't like that W231/115 FMJ load and I had to start experimenting again.

TiteGroup works well. It's my "fallback" powder when W231 doesn't work well.

Some people like Power Pistol powder. I like it OK, but it seemed to give it's best accuracy at higher velocities. I found that good info to have, but not what I needed at the time. I keep it in mind for if/when I need an accurate load with more zip.
    It seemed louder to me than the other powders, but you're burning more of it than the other powders.

At Rose, I ran what the club ran:
    124gr LRN over 4.3gr of Green Dot (I want to say it chronoed at 1200 fps?)

It was a good, soft shooting load and was accurate enough for what I asked of it. The main downside is the smoke and that it was dirty. 200 rounds of a similar recipe (230gr LRN over 4.3 of green dot) in my XD-45 and the LCI was stuck in the up position. The first match that a friend and I shot at Riley, Dave asked us if we were shooting black powder.

I'm going to work up both a load for 125 grain and 147 grain HAP bullets once I get a press in here.
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." - Robert E. Howard

This also explains a lot about internet forums.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast