• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    While visiting my father recently, I took another look at a Remington bolt-action rifle with a rather unusual scope. The scope dominates the look of this classic rifle and is unlike any optic I have ever seen. It is a “Spot-Shot” by R.A. Litschert.

2hs41sp.jpg

I grew up in Randolph County, the home of Mr. Litschert. His shop was in a garage in Winchester, Indiana. As the story goes, Mr. Litschert was a tinkerer. In the late 1930s, he started converting low-power scopes into higher magnification scopes and later started selling his own line of target models. During World War II, he was contracted by the US military to build sniper scopes.

I’m always looking for interesting things to do at the range, so I asked to borrow the rifle and scope and see how they perform. (My father bought it used but had never shot this rifle.)

I took it down by the range and zeroed it at 50 yards. Then I shot across the pond at both steel and paper targets at 206 yards. The following pictures will describe what happened on this cold but sunny day.

The set-up at the range
    2pq874z.jpg

The rifle is a Remington 700 BDL with the heavy barrel. It is chambered for .223 Remington. It has a 24” barrel and is 43.5” long overall. The trigger is exceptional. It’s light and has no discernable creep or overtravel.

The scope is 26” long with a 5” sun shroud for a total length of 31”! It is marked as a 20X power. (They came in 10X, 12X, 15X, and 20X.) The objective is 1.5” in diameter. It’s finished in blued steel. I imagine it would be a good varmint scope. The retical is a simple crosshair, very fine.

Internet research tells me that this type of scope was made in the late 1940s and through the 1950s until Mr. Litschert sold his business to his son-in-law, Myron Davis. Mr. Davis sold the scopes as the “Davis Spot-Shot”. There is conflicting information about when his company went out of business. One source says late 1960s and the other lists 1987 when the business closed.

This scope moves! The front mount allows the whole scope to move forward about 1.5”. There is a spring that holds the scope in place except during recoil. This ‘buffer spring’ reduces the recoil shock loading on the optics.

Recoil spring arrangement
    2i6gn7b.jpg

The rear micrometer adjustment knobs have ‘J.Unertl’ stamped on them. That stands for John Unertl. He originally worked for J.W. Fecker and later founded his own scope and mount company.

The rear of the sight tube can move. It’s held on three points; one from the elevation knob, one from the windage knob, and the third point being a spring-loaded pin. Although it can move, it always returns to its precise setting. Just to look at it, it seems cumbersome; but it works!

The adjustment clicks for elevation and windage are very strong and positive feeling. I believe they are ¼ MOA adjustments. Clockwise moves of the windage knob moves the point-of-impact to the left. Clockwise moves of the elevation knob moves the point-of-impact down.

Rear adjustment knobs
    2vvjspf.jpg

I used 55 grain ball ammo from Winchester for all the work today. As expected there were no issues with the ammunition. Everything fed well and went ‘boom’ when it was supposed to.

Ammo used for the testing
    vmwryx.jpg

Zeroing was done at 50 yards and took only seven rounds to do it.

View of the target stand at 50 yards
    t9e6v4.jpg

After zeroing, I fired 5 rounds at the target. They fit in a 1.25" circle.

Final target at 50 yards
    14l3htu.jpg

The focus is accomplished by turning the front objective ring. The objective shroud ring can be locked against the focus adjustment ring to keep it from moving.

Scope range markings
    fd4whx.jpg

View toward targets across the pond
    2eyxf10.jpg

2d1n2a9.jpg

I took a few shots at the new steel target stand I recently built.
    (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/72334-homemade_target_stand_for_long_distance_steel.html)

The .223 rounds did not penetrate the treadplate but they did leave some healthy craters. I’m not surprised by the damage. I believe the plate is standard steel. It was left on our property when we moved here. I am looking into a plate of A500 someday!

Hits on the steel target stand
    206ykvk.jpg

Close view of the hits on the steel plate
    10h8s4z.jpg

I also had a hanging flange. It took a couple of hits with little damage. I was hitting to the right so I made a few adjustment to move the shots closer to center.

2h7o1eu.jpg

I took five shots at a paper plate. I had a 3.5” group size. It would have been 2” without one flyer. As usual, I’m the weak link in the system.

With a 50 yard zero I required a 4” holdover at 206 yards.

Final target at 206 yards
    24gulic.jpg

Conclusions:

This vintage scope is surprisingly accurate! That the rifle is front heavy is not unexpected. However, if supported by a bench rest or bipod, the scope/rifle combination provides a very precise platform. The Remington 700 is a wonderful rifle with a great trigger.

This firearm does prove that not everything good in weapons has to be black polymer! There is still room at the range for some blue steel and walnut!

Be safe and happy shooting!

Last edited:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    that is a very neat combo there! give me blued steel and walnut anyday of the week and twice on the weekend! :yesway: very good review! repped!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Excellent review and very interesting setup. I really enjoy the "found this at (insert relatives name) and tested it" type of posts. Brings back some memories, and is very cool to learn about the older and new alike. Thanks for taking the time to do the research on it as well. I have family from Randolph County and had no idea about Mr. Litschert.

BTW...nothing beats the sight of a beautiful wood stock with some crisp blue steel.

+1

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I really enjoy the "found this at (insert relatives name) and tested it" type of posts. Brings back some memories, and is very cool to learn about the older and new alike.

Your comment got me to thinking about how many INGO members have a father, brother, grandfather, etc. that have been firearm enthusiasts in the past. They might enjoy a visit and some time with you. Looking at some of their handguns and rifles is a good activity to do during the visit. The real reason is to spend time with them.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    How heavy is that scope?

I'm going to venture a guess that it may be worth more than the rifle itself.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    As usual your reports are better than ones found in G&A. That is a beautiful rifle also. If you ever want to trade range use for a free boat slip on lake lemon just let me know:D

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Your comment got me to thinking about how many INGO members have a father, brother, grandfather, etc. that have been firearm enthusiasts in the past. They might enjoy a visit and some time with you. Looking at some of their handguns and rifles is a good activity to do during the visit. The real reason is to spend time with them.

A HUGE +1 for you sir! :+1::+1:

Edit...I am being forced to spread some rep around...but I certainly owe you one!

That in fact may be why I like those threads so much!

My father is the one who introduced me to firearms/safety/reloading at a very young age. Those were some great times, but I lost interest in my teenage years, and replaced it chasing girls and cars. He passed away at a young age, and I miss him dearly and wish we could spend time now enjoying the hobby together we both loved and have a passion for.

My great uncle and grandfathers the same. I specifically regret not spending enough time talking to my grandfather about the war. He was one of the young gents that stormed the beaches of Normandy, and he hated to talk about it, but what little he did was truly a lesson in history that sent chills up and down your spine.

I encourage everyone to take the time now, as you only have so much time left!!

:ingo:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    How heavy is that scope?

2d1n2a9.jpg

I weighed the rifle and scope on a kitchen scale and it came in at 11.5 pounds. On the internet, I came across a specification for the Rem700 BDL at 7.5 pounds. That would make the scope weigh in at 4 pounds!

It may be slightly less than that as this rifle has the heavy varmint type barrel that would make the rifle weigh a bit more than the 7.5 pound spec. The Spot-Shot is probably in the 3.5-4.0 pound range. Compare that with current long-range scopes that weigh in around 1.5-2.0 pounds. Either way, this vintage scope is a handful!

ljcrutch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    ljcrutch

Coincidence: I have the same model rifle (22-250 - heavy barrel) and 12x unertyl scope (used, just acquired).
    I was searching for instructions for mounting and adustment. Your pics gave me insight. Thx.
    Larry

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Just an FYI, Unertl scopes provide 1/4 MOA adjustment when the bases are spaced 7.2 inches apart. I have several old brochures and charts concerning Unertl scopes. Wonderful scopes. They were once the standard for serious target shooters, and still command a very high price.

Top Bottom