• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm looking forward to training with pierce195 and other fellow INGOers this Saturday.

So tonight I figured I better start getting my gear ready. To be completely truthful, I've not spent a lot of time actually practically planning out my gear.

For some background, I normally carry my pistol in a Don Hume IWB strong side. I would like to train as close to my real world carry situation as possible.

I currently have a surplus Vietnam era LBV and pistol belt that essentially has 4 AR Mag Pockets as well as a standard military pistol belt. This same rig --> Military Tactical Load Bearing Vest SP0100-94-C-0321 NR - eBay (item 230516460007 end time Aug-31-10 18:51:14 PDT)

Good for AR mags, fits well, is clearly combat proven, and I can hang canteens and other goodies off the belt that have the right pistol belt hanger attachements. The problem is I really don't have a good option right now on hand for a holster and mag pouches for my G19.

I also have a UTG brand tactical vest UTG SPORT TACTICAL VEST - WITH QUICK DRAW HOLSTER that I got as a Christmas gift a few years back. Not a bad set up, but quality is clearly UTG. This solves my holster issue to some extent since there is an attached pistol holster and dedicated mag pouches. The downside is that I never carry my pistol in that orientation, so wouldn't get the full benefit from training.

My thinking at this point is to go with the Milsurp rig for the carbine portion of the course, and then ditch the rig for the handgun portion and train with my IWB holster. The dilema would be the combined carbine/pistol stages working on transition to and from each weapon.

So, I ask ye oh wise and knowledgeable INGO...what say you? As much as I'd love to get a much better set-up, I doubt I can in the next couple of days. Are there any options to upgrade my Milsurp gear, such as a more modern pistol belt? I'd like to still have a strong side draw option, such as a belt mounted holster, with weakside mag pouches.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If you aren't training with your EDC gear, you are wasting your time. You gotta reach deep down inside and ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to learn and get better with your chosen equipment, or are you trying to win a ninja style award? If this is your first class, forget the LBV and all the other doodads and just bring your rifle, sling, mag carriers and pistol w/holster. That's all you need to get started. :twocents:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If you aren't training with your EDC gear, you are wasting your time. You gotta reach deep down inside and ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to learn and get better with your chosen equipment, or are you trying to win a ninja style award? If this is your first class, forget the LBV and all the other doodads and just bring your rifle, sling, mag carriers and pistol w/holster. That's all you need to get started. :twocents:

I completely agree with your first point. My goal is as stated in the OP...train as close to my EDC arrangement as possible, which at the moment is an IWB holster and spare mag in my pocket. However, since there is a carbine section of the training, I want to be prepared for that also.

The LBV's I've listed are my primary options for carrying mags for my AR, so I'm really not looking to gain any style points, but also don't want to show up with something completely useless. Since an LBV isn't part of my everyday rig, I really haven't put much time into working on a set-up that would be effective in a dynamic situation.

At present, the typical use of my carbine is range duty, where a range bag or ammo can is always at the ready with spare mags and ammo. I suppose I could strap the .50 cal ammo can with loaded AR mags to my back, but I'm guessing that would be a bit uncomfortable, and definitely not Tacti-Cool! ;)

So, my present plan of attack is:

My thinking at this point is to go with the Milsurp rig for the carbine portion of the course, and then ditch the rig for the handgun portion and train with my IWB holster. The dilema would be the combined carbine/pistol stages working on transition to and from each weapon.

If I can find a good way to combine a strong side carry option for my pistol with the rig, I can at least utilize some similar techniques during any combined pistol/carbine sections of the training. And, who knows...in that .001% chance of SHTF, I at least have a combined rig that I can turn to.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Training

Use your EDC gear with your handgun and throw your Carbine gear in the trunk of the car and see what happens if you need it then you have it if not needed then oh well

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    My line of thinking is that since its a carbine course, I'm going to make running a carbine as efficient as I can in regards to what I am wearing.

If I was taking a concealed carry or defensive handgun course, what I would wear would be different.

Whatever you choose to do though, I promise not to point and laugh when I see ya there :):

runandgun44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    First off, this is only my opinion. For what it's worth. I took the same class back on 7-31. Great class, your are in for a awesome day of training! I plan to take Matt's Carbine #2 also.

I had the same exact thoughts on gear set up. Daily carry or LBV with cross draw holster? I finally decided on the LBV set up and I was glad I did.

To my way of thinking, if I am using a carbine in real life, then this is no "every day carry" situation. The S*** has hit the fan. My side arm is secondary and my rifle is my primary weapon. This is where the LBV shines.

I believe you will find, as I did. The less crap you have around your waist (pistol, extra mags, multitool, whatever) The better you can run, shoot, move, crawl on your belly. (and you will be doing all of that and more!)

The crossdraw LBV you mentioned keeps everything right there and comfortable.

I have 2 pistols, both the same. One is my daily carry and the other stays on my LBV at all times ready, right next to my carbine. It makes it simple for a true "grab and go" set up.

I practice with both set ups. Anyway, I guess that's why we train. To see what works best. This is what works best for me. Good luck and have a safe day.:yesway:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wow now I feel really left out. Going to the course Saturday and I don't have any tacti-cool stuff. If I would have thought ahead I could have ordered some 5.11 pants. Mayby I will just buy some cheap cargo pants at WalMart. Figured I would just stuff the Glock in the Comp-TAC IWB, throw a couple mag pouches on the weak side, and some AR mags in a pocket or belt pouch of some sort. Maybe I am completely wrong and not ready. But other then a zombie invasion I can't see ever needing or using a vest. If I ever grabbed a carbine in a hurry I would probably just have the mag in the gun and maybe a sidearm.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Death Valley Magazine talked about this issue recently (link is article). Have a read through their archives.

Language warning for the site.

this is some good stuff. i am sure a lot of you are over on glock talk and have read ferfal posts. he seconds a lot of what's said in there. why train for end of world instead of walking out of the grocery store with a couple sacks of groceries getting robbed and practice that instead of thinking you will have all your kit with you when someone tries to rob you which is much more likely. i did a lot of high speed stuff in preparation for iraq and afghanistan wearing full kit all set up for combat operations but for here in the states my main focus would be and is pistol with mag changes and transitioning to my BUG in the front pocket.

carry your lbe in the trunk and if they suggest you use it go for it but if you can carry a couple mags in your pockets and what not i would try that route cause its a lot more likely than you just being fully kitted up when it kicks off. just my opinion others may vary

don't get me wrong do a couple classes for all out warfare also just so your versed in them also but more than likely you will be walking down the street like normal when you need to defend yourself even in a true shtf situation.

Last edited:

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    From what I am hearing, most think you will never need a carbine here in the states. Or if you do use one you'll only need one mag.

So why even waste time taking a class if your going into it half a**?

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    From what I am hearing, most think you will never need a carbine here in the states. Or if you do use one you'll only need one mag.

So why even waste time taking a class if your going into it half a**?

i agree huh??

i haven't heard anyone say that but just a question for you when your out and about shopping, working, going to the movies do you always have your carbine and kit on you? do you always keep it in your vehicle. i am just curious cause i know i don't, thats why i have my pistols and a get home bag with a couple extra mags. it would be nice to keep a carbine and your whole set up in the veh but not practical and i have a feeling it would be getting replaced a lot due to break ins. maybe i am over reading into your statement so no offense meant to you but i will say again your much more likely to get robbed at the store than for all out warfare to break out here in the states. i think everyone should take as many classes as they can afford but take the most practical ones for the situations that will most likely occur.

ps there is a new article out by ferfal in the survival forums here. check it out as he is a good source of info on what happens when a society collapses, what happens and doesn't, and what works and what doesn't

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...s/107192-another_great_article_by_ferfal.html

Top Bottom