• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Got an AR-7 (Henry Survival .22 Rifle) about a month ago. First time at the range ran 100 Remmington HP .22 (525 Bulk Buy Box) before it would jam up on every 3rd or 4th round. Firgure it was due to the amount of "stuff" on the barrel from the ammo. Took it home cleaned it and oiled it and took it back to the range the following week. Same results. After about 100 rounds jams again. Same thing the 3rd time around.

So this past week when I was done cleaning it and instead of using the Remington Oil I used Royal Purple Synthetic Oil (found at AutoZone). One of the worker's at the gun range when he showed me how to assemble and disaamble my 1911 he metioned that he had been using the royal purple on the shop guns (rentals) after cleaning and they are getting few jams and less wear and tear. He said he had been using it for 5 years with good results.

Well I went to the range today and ran 200 rounds thru the henry and only 1 jam and that was during the first 8 rounds. The round was dented on the rim which could not have been by the rifle. So can't really count that one. I ran out of ammo so now sure how many more rounds I could have done. When I got home it was and took it apart there was a thick layer of "black goo" all over the inside. I though it was going to take forever to clean it but the "goo" wiped off with a rag easily.

Will keep you posted if the oil was the reason I was able to go over the 100+ mark or perhaps the AR-7 is finally likely the rounds and is 'broken-in'? Not sure. My goal is to take a box of 500 with my on the next visit and see how many I can go thru. Need to get more magazines first.

As far as the 1911 have not have an issue with it so not sure if it's the oil or just the 1911 being good? (SPRINGFIELD ARMORY MIL-SPEC 1911) is what it is.

Anyways give it a try if you like.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    --UPDATE--
    Have been using the oil since NOV 08 and I really like it. The cleaning of the AR-7 is so much easier! Added it to the AK before I shot it last month and when I came home to clean it it was not dirty at all. Looks like the oil keeps most of the "stuff" so I just wipe it down and the do my normal cleaning. I think it's well worth it.

gr6lg%5B1%5D.jpg

Last edited:

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    We used to have to try and sell Royal Purple at a lube shop I worked at, from what I understand it is the best synthetic oil on the market (according to management). Trying to sell that was hard because it was so expensive, it was like an $80 oil change.

I use Mobil 1 in my truck lol.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    the only thing I know of thats better(synthetic oil wise) and readily available is redline synthetic. as for gun lube you might look into militec 1 to, some people use it in their cars!

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'm more of a Citco High Temp Bearing Grease user.

$2.78 for a pound. at Meijer.
    should last me the rest of my life, using it in all of my firearms.

thirty cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    +100 for the miltech 1 it is awsome and they used to give free samples of their oil and grease. I got a free 2 oz tube of oil and of grease and still havn't used it all.

Top Bottom