• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It finally arrived! :rockwoot:You see prior to today these were my "safes".
    201108_safe_06.jpg

What? You don't see them? Well off course not since they are "hiding" behind all that stuff. That's too keep the BGs from seeing them. :rolleyes:
    Since I trust ya so much here let me know you a closer picture.
    201108_safe_07.jpg

Now you see the "safes"? Yup basically just the thickest size chains I could find at the hardware store and I drilled holes into the wooden beams in the house and a lock at the bottom. Here is a close up of the holes on the beams.
    201108_safe_08.jpg

Now after saving up my dimes, nickles, pennies, lunch money, extra money and close to 2 years of saving and saving this arrived today!

201108_safe_01.jpg

(The kid is for sale BTW he eats too much. He can clean guns however! :laugh:)

Here is a few more pictures of the brand new Johnson Safe, Model BR-536 (36"x60"x24") in Elvis' Pink Cadillac color! (Cost was $2485 for safe, delivery and install (ie. bolted into cement floor):patriot:

201108_safe_04.jpg

201108_safe_03.jpg

& guess what it is true what they say get the biggest one you can because it's still going to be too small! That is why I saved room to the right of this safe for it's "brother" one day in the future. ;)

Now I'm taking up donations since this safe needs to be full of firearms so if you have a firearm that needs a home send it my way. :laugh:

Now if the BGs manage to take a PINK safe, bolted to the floor at over 1000lbs (ammo inside of it) then they really wanted it. :):

Special Thanks to Phil502 & 4sarge for their help in helping me go with Johnson Safe.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Nice safe. I'd love one like that. In a different color. :D

1 question, and not to be jerky because I've done some super ghetto stuff before, so I'm not knocking your previous "security system".

Buy why bother with the super heavy chain? You could sawzall thru the wood beam in about 2 seconds, or hand saw in 10-15. So why not some more manageable chains since they're really more of a deterrent than a rock solid system?

Before I got my crappy $400 Sentry safe I used to just hang my rifle from 2 nails between the rafters in a corner of my basement with the bag locked to keep curious kids out. So don't think I don't "get it". :D

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Very cool. I love our Johnson Safe.

Can I ask why pink? Not that I don't like it. I'm just curious what motivated you to go with that color.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I award you 1500 Ferrari points.

This is the 2nd pink safe I've seen Jeff Johnson make. The other was more of a "Barbie" pink and was in honor of a man's wife who fought breast cancer (and was kicking its butt!).

I love it!

bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    What made you go with the Johnson safe? I have been looking at them also. The Liberty Fat Boy at Gander Mtn is only 1800$. How does that compare? The Liberty website says they will replace the safe if it's ever in a fire, will Johnson do that? I don't have many guns but all have optics of some kind.
    Thanks

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    1 question, and not to be jerky because I've done some super ghetto stuff before, so I'm not knocking your previous "security system".

Buy why bother with the super heavy chain? You could sawzall thru the wood beam in about 2 seconds, or hand saw in 10-15. So why not some more manageable chains since they're really more of a deterrent than a rock solid system?

Before I got my crappy $400 Sentry safe I used to just hang my rifle from 2 nails between the rafters in a corner of my basement with the bag locked to keep curious kids out. So don't think I don't "get it". :D

Well the way I figures (& my logic may have been flawed) was that unless the BG came with a saw on hand s/he was not going to be able to saw either the wood or the chains since I don't have a saw in the house. :D I figured the big chains would be a visual deterrent.:dunno:

The chains came from Menards and were on sale during their buy 1 get one 50% off plus I have some Menard's Gift Certificates so I think out of pocket I ended up spending like $10 cash for the 2 chains.

Besides it's a good setup for some hanky panky. :laugh:

Very cool. I love our Johnson Safe.

Can I ask why pink? Not that I don't like it. I'm just curious what motivated you to go with that color.

Phil502 had told me that Johnson could paint it any color. That was confirmed by Mr. Johnson (he uses car paint on the safes). So at first I was going to go with a std. car paint color: blue. Then I figured heck let me do a cobalt royal blue (like the hot rods). But the more and more I thought about it the more and more I told myself it really needs to be "Elvis Rose" as in Elvis Pink Cadillac (Elvis' Pink Cadillac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) color (ie. light pink).

1) I would like to one day own a car such as that one day. I don't think the car is pretty (shape wise), nor do I care for Elvis (he is before my time), nor am I a car guy (to me they are machines that take you from A to B on wheels) but I see that car (color/design) as 100% American Icon.

Besides I already own a "man muscle car"
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/78309-mustangs_pics.html
    I bought this car for my dad's 50th B-Day and he LOVES this car he had several growing up. While I am on the title and pay for the insurance it's really his. I do drive it every now and then to ensure it does not sit too long but while I like the car (having it) again it's more of a "garage queen". Something I can say look what I owe. :D My son will most likely be the person to inherit the car from my dad. The joy that car gives my dad is beyond anything I have ever seen. He loves it and it was a small token of THANK YOU that I could give to him for everything he has done for me over the years.

2) The NWI INGO social group always teases me because I ask for the "pink" weapons when I bring new shooters (typically girls) and melensdad in particular tells me it's really me who wants to shoot his PINK AR. (It's daughter rifle BTW). Well now they can have another reason.

3) Say someone does manage to break into the house and steal my safe. How many Pink Cadillac color safes do you think there are in IN?
    I wanna see those thieves attempting to haul a PINK bolted 900lb+ safe out the door and in a truck. Now that takes a REAL MAN! :D:laugh:

4) It will go "well" with all the toys (ie. barbie stuff) that my daughter has down in the family room.

& lastly
    5) why not? (88GT this is not directed as you in a bad way) It will be unique and different and I have been saving forever for this safe. Besides it will make a nice "conversation starter" when people come over. ;)

I award you 1500 Ferrari points.

This is the 2nd pink safe I've seen Jeff Johnson make. The other was more of a "Barbie" pink and was in honor of a man's wife who fought breast cancer (and was kicking its butt!).

I love it!

Yes I did heard about that other pink one from him.

ITS OFFICIAL. I have "seen it all."

Now I understand why he likes my daughter's pink rifles.

You & my daughter! She got home from school and went to the lower level bathroom. When she came out she was dumbfounded and asked what the big pink box was for? I explained that it's a safe like those she likes to play at cabela's with rest the guns go to sleep in. She asked to see the inside and after counting the guns closed the door and said. But dad it's pink! That's for gggggggiiiiiirrrrrrrlllllllllssssss & began to giggle. :faint:

I asked her what's so funny. She tells me dad you are a boy. you should of picked a boy color and then ran off. :rolleyes:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Very nice safe. Congrats. I even like the pink. It is different. I know how the scrimping and saving for what you really want goes. Wish you luck on gettin it filled with all kinds of good gear.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    What made you go with the Johnson safe? I have been looking at them also. The Liberty Fat Boy at Gander Mtn is only 1800$. How does that compare? The Liberty website says they will replace the safe if it's ever in a fire, will Johnson do that? I don't have many guns but all have optics of some kind.
    Thanks

Johnsons Safe (JS) are fire rated at 2600 degrees for 1 hour.
    Liberty Fat Boy (LFB) are fire rated at 1600 degrees for 1 hour.

House fires can range from 900 to 2000 degrees depending on the materials house is build with and what is inside based on a quick google search.

From the JS website Johnson Safe
    If your goal is to protect your guns and other valuables from both theft and fire, don't settle for inferior materials and workmanship. Please compare other safes' fire ratings to Johnson Safe's 2600 degrees for 1 hour. We acheive this rating by fully welding all our seams and using a ceramic insulation wrap that does not absorb moisture or degrade over time. Most other safe manufacturers spot weld their seams and use common drywall to "fireproof" their safes.

JS the BR series (one pic above) uses 7 guage steel. JS also sells a JS series which uses a 10 guage steel.
    LFB uses 11 guage steel

The lower the steel guage the thicker the steel. 99% of the commercial safes use 11 gauage steel.

The only downside to the JS is that there is no "replacement" for fire/theft/etc like the commercial big boys. But I talked to my home owner's insurance today and the safe is covered under my policy so in essence if something should occur to it I will have money to be able to buy another one. :D (Need to get more details on my deductible still but it's covered.)

Now I'm not knocking the commercial safes. All safes are good or else they would be out of business. I heard a ton of good stuff about JS. What sold me was the fact that he uses 7 ga steel. Heck you can order an even thicker steel safe if you go his custom route (cost :dunno:). Plus you deal directly with Mr. Johnson and he won't sell you anything you don't need, will answer all your questions, you get to pick color, carpet color, right/left swing door, & configuration inside. The safe is built by him right here in Indiana with all USA made parts and he personally comes to deliver and install. Cash or Check only however. Missed getting my cabela reward cc points on this purchase. :(

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Nice Safe, that was fast too! Jeff Johnson makes a great safe and is a great guy to deal with, no bs, no stuff you don't need, just great craftsmanship and straight answers.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Thanks

We just got ours at the tail end of June, and even "I" LOVE it! He doesn't have to guarantee it against fires, it's FIREPROOF! Water resistant too I believe, but you'll have to ask BOR about that one. I love it because it not only holds his guns, it holds our papers, and the most valuable things in the house, MY JEWELRY!!! YEA!!!!! Finally, 3 days later our daughter can't walk up to me and say...."uh mom.....I borrowed your.....and forgot to tell you about it.....hope you don't mind?!" GRRRRRR! Mind? She's 23, at this point I have no mind left! (Just lots and lots of gray hair!)

But she can't do that anymore! She came walking out of the "safe room" as she calls it now, and said, "Hey? What's that thing in there, and where's your necklace I was going to wear tonite??? Where'd you put it, I can't find your jewelry box?!?!?" To which I answered, "Why not? It's in plane sight!

I just looked at her and went "BBRRUUUHHHAHAHAHHAHA!!!! You can't borrow it, because you didn't ask first! Yes, you have to ask first, it belongs to ME, not you! And my Jewelry box got moved, into that "what the heck is that thing!" And NO, you can't have the combination!"

Security! Peace and Security! That is worth all the money in the world. And Jeff is a great guy, and builds all his safes custom, to your specifications, and with what you do or don't want in it. We've pretty much come to the conclusion that were we to take a direct hit by a tornado, the house may be gone, but the SAFE will still be there! And so will all our valuables!

Now I want a couple with shatter proof glass, to use in place of my display (aka "Touch it and DIE") cabinets! Cool! That would be majorly cool! And being air tight, I wouldn't have to worry about having to dust every little nick-nack that was in there! YEA!

Thank God for Jeff, he's absolutely the BEST!
    7th Stepper

Besides, didn't your parents ever teach you that "if you want quality, you buy quality", and the saying that goes with it, is..."you get what you pay for". And Jeff IS both Quality, AND the Best!

Top Bottom