• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thomas Carey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2011
    How many of you have one of those tactical pens that are on the market? For those of you that do what are your thoughts on them? Also what brand/model do you have? =)

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    The "tactical pen",as I understand it, functions essentially as a kubaton. The ones I have handled seem to be a Very sturdy pen, able to withstand a direct strike with the point -although shorter than most Kubatons I have handled. I like the kubaton as a defense weapon - I think the pens would be better than nothing, but I would choose one for it's writing quality so you have it if/when you need it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I used a regular Parker pen made of steel, works the same, even better since it doesnt look like a weapon.Usually "tactical" pens have brands of weapon on them, not great to go thru security in airport.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I agree with Sylvain.

Carry a sturdy "regular" pen (or three). You'll get little/no scrutiny from security which means you actually have your pen with you if you need it.

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    The one difference with the tactical pens, if I recall correctly, is that they tend to be larger in diameter. Can you confidently hold a slim metal pen firm enough to make an effective strike?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The one difference with the tactical pens, if I recall correctly, is that they tend to be larger in diameter. Can you confidently hold a slim metal pen firm enough to make an effective strike?

Yes you can, I can anyway (depends if you have a martial art background).
    I practiced striking wood board with the pen I got, it doesnt slip off your hand when you strike.
    Also it still works as a pen after I used it to make holes in wood.
    Since it's a "real" pen, and not meant to be a weapon first, I found out that it's much easier to hold it to write.
    The "tactical pens" may not be as good to hold when you write since they are so thick.
    Let's face it, I actually have a pen to write, that's the number one use for it.And you will use it to write 99.9% of the time.
    It took a metal one in case I would have to use it as a weapon but it's a pen first (I do have many other options as far as weapon before I would even need to use the pen).
    One of the other uses I have for this pen besides (1) Use it as a regular pen (2) Use it as an impact weapon, is to use it to make a tourniquet for first aid use.
    I have a nylon strap in my trauma kit (that I carry in one of my jacket's pocket) the solid metal pen allows me to use the strap as a tourniquet.
    It's works great and a plastic pen would break if used this way.

Like I said earlier I would not buy a "tactical" pen because they look too much like weapons.
    I know that some brands are even banned by the TSA because they have sharp edges.
    Most of them have weapons brands on them such as "smith and wesson" or "tactical something", those models and brands are well known by securiy in airports or other type of security.
    Most of the time they will take it away from you.

I have seen "tactical pens" for $50, some even $100 like Surefire pens.
    It's ridiculous and it's mostly hype.
    My $20 Parker pen works fine and does the same job.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    All pens are tactical pens. If you have to stab a fool you can mess them up good with a sharpened #2 pencil, a cheap plasitc pen that your insurance agent gives out, or any of the many nice metal pens that run a few bucks each. If you want to look cool and carry a "tactical" pen that says Smith and Wesson on it so it matches your carry piece then by all means knock yourself out, but rest assured that any pen you can lay hands on will be adequate to defend yourself in a pinch.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How many of you have one of those tactical pens that are on the market?

I have one.

For those of you that do what are your thoughts on them?

Like someone already mentioned, any pen can be a "tactical" pen if you need it to be. However, I was actually looking for a "hardened" pen that could stand up to some abuse, and a "tactical" pen seemed to fit the bill.

I had some criteria that it had to meet:

• Body must be strong enough to use as an impact/striking weapon if necessary
    • Finish must be durable
    • Must have a strong pocket clip
    • Must be inexpensive
    • Must not have a concealed blade or sharp points (other than the pen tip itself) or otherwise look like a weapon
    • Prefer clickly tailcap versus removable cap
    • Prefer pen insert to be available locally and inexpensively (Fisher insert would be bonus)
    My purpose for this pen is more as an "EDC pen" than anything. I've got other tools that I'd use before using the pen as a striking weapon, but I wanted something that could ride in a pocket or bag and not break or get lost.

Also what brand/model do you have? =)

So far the only one I've tried is the Tao Pen by CRKT, based on a custom design by Allen Elishewitz. I got it from Brad's Knives at an Indy 1500 for around $40.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/brads_knives_and_knife_lady/155561-1_for_bradsknives.html

It fits most of my criteria but lacks in some areas. I don't like that it takes 30-seconds to unscrew the cap. As I wanted to use it for actually writing, this makes using it somewhat annoying. There are also some rounded cuts in the cap that aren't very comfortable when striking with my thumb positioned on top. Because of these issues I've reallocated it from EDC to riding in a gear bag. Its still a very tough pen, but isn't great for writing on the go.

14e7504.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    • Body must be strong enough to use as an impact/striking weapon if necessary
    • Finish must be durable
    • Must have a strong pocket clip
    • Must be inexpensive
    • Must not have a concealed blade or sharp points (other than the pen tip itself) or otherwise look like a weapon
    • Prefer clickly tailcap versus removable cap
    • Prefer pen insert to be available locally and inexpensively (Fisher insert would be bonus)

I agree with those points.

I use a Parker Jotter stainless steel.

stylo-bille-acier-jotter-parker-i4268-s400.jpg

It's not a big thick pen like most "tactical" pens are.
    The design is elegant and it doesn't look like a weapon.
    Plus it feels great in the hand when you write.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I read an article somewhere and the author also recommended a Parker Jotter. I think this will be my next test subject. :yesway:

I went to my local pen shop, that looked to be the best model for the job.
    It's also light weight and easy to carry in a pocket.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I went to my local pen shop, that looked to be the best model for the job.
    It's also light weight and easy to carry in a pocket.

Light enough to carry clipped to a shirt pocket or next to the buttons on a polo? The TAO was too large/heavy for that, and that is where I'd prefer to carry it.

(not my pic, but an example)
    images

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sylvian how much was your Jotter?

I bought mine in a little local shop in France, I paid 15 Euros for it I think.
    It's about 20 USD.

You can probably find better deals in bigger shops or online.It must be around 10 USD in the US.

Top Bottom