• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    I have a DPMS ar15 and bought some Magpul 30 round pmags. I can't get them to lock into the lower. Bolt open or closed it doesn't matter. Mags empty of loaded. I have some steel and other poly mags that lock fine. IS this a knowen issue or something I can fix?

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I'm interested to hear answers on this. I've actually had the same problem on occasion with my LMT. Never with the bolt open, but with it closed.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    It may not be the case but my older M&P15 wouldn't accept PMags...it has something to do with a tab or some such thing in the receiver that prevents the PMags from fully seating. It's been probably a year or more since I found out about it but never used PMags in my M&P anyway.

I believe in the case of the Smith and Wesson you had to have that small guide tab machined out in order to use PMags. Never heard of that issue on a DPMS but it could be an older gun or older lower maybe?

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I used a DPMS lower on the build I did back in 2007, and PMags worked just fine, but I have the original version of the PMag. Like someone mentioned above give the mag catch another turn (or few) in and see if that solves the problem.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Sounds like your magwell may be undersized. PMags are tight in a few of mine.

Are they hard to insert or to pull out?

As mentioned you could try adjust your mag catch.

Look to see if the threaded end is flush or slightly below flush on the release button.

if they are just tight in the magwell sand these areas down.......

new version PMag
    s3q2xc.jpg

dpzvd3.jpg

Old version PMag
    000_1026.jpg

000_1025.jpg

Also look for any other spots that look like they are rubbing.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I have the same problem with my DPMS. Metal mags work fine, but PMAGS will not fit at all. I literally have to beat them in then use both hands and a lot of strength to pull them back out. I sanded some plastic off of one of the mags and it worked, but it was a lot of work and I didnt feel like doing it to the rest of them. They fit just fine in my Bushmaster though.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    They were to loose in the mag well. What I did was tweaked the mag catch arm just a little. Now the lock in nice and tight and drop out with ease. Thanks for the help guys.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Magpul now has 3 "generations" of pmags. If you call or email magpul, they will send replacements along with a pre-paid shipping label so you can send yours back. The first 2 generations had a problem with bad seating.

ApacheTactical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    Hamilton County Indiana
    Don't quote me on this but i heard that the P-mag will hold upto 31 or 32 rnds. the reason is to give extra spring room for the dust cover which also releases the tension off the feed ramps on the mag. Some guys just fill the mag up until no more rounds will go in which makes seating the mag extremely hard. Check that and let me know if it is true. I do not have any P-mags so I can not check that theory

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Make sure you only and always load the mags to 28 rounds and smear chalk on the portion on the mag that enters the magwell. Insert the mag and remove and you will see the high points on the mag.

The other issue could very well be your lower is not to spec. P-Mags will work in a spec lower. Your metal mags work because they are a few thousands thinner. Some have had issues with the band that seperates the top of the mag from the bottom portion that sticks out of the rifle. This band can be sanded down or or you can buy E-Mags that will fit, however this comes down to the same issue that original P-mags fit in spec lowers.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Glad to find this thread, doing a build with a Doublestar lower and Pmags are extremely tight, not got the LPK in yet to see if they'll seat and lock, but I was assuming it was an issue with coating thickness on the lower...

Looks like all of mine are the newer verson (no "tabs" on the back edge/spine of the mag...) But gives me something else to check when I get it together later this week (I hope!)

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Don't quote me on this but i heard that the P-mag will hold upto 31 or 32 rnds. the reason is to give extra spring room for the dust cover which also releases the tension off the feed ramps on the mag. Some guys just fill the mag up until no more rounds will go in which makes seating the mag extremely hard. Check that and let me know if it is true. I do not have any P-mags so I can not check that theory

None of mine will hold more than 30.

Make sure you only and always load the mags to 28 rounds and smear chalk on the portion on the mag that enters the magwell. Insert the mag and remove and you will see the high points on the mag.

The other issue could very well be your lower is not to spec. P-Mags will work in a spec lower. Your metal mags work because they are a few thousands thinner. Some have had issues with the band that seperates the top of the mag from the bottom portion that sticks out of the rifle. This band can be sanded down or or you can buy E-Mags that will fit, however this comes down to the same issue that original P-mags fit in spec lowers.

No reason not to load 30. I've loaded all of my Pmags to 30 rounds and never had a problem.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    No reason not to load 30. I've loaded all of my Pmags to 30 rounds and never had a problem.

There is an excellent reason to load to only 28, it allows compression of the spring when performing bolt forward reloads. It guarantees the magazine will insert and lock under stress and accounts for variances in the orientation of the rounds when they are loaded.

If you are worried about two less rounds in the magazine, those two won't solve anything that a reload would not solve. You should not be shooting to bolt lock anyway.

Twenty-eight rounds in a magazine has been proven on the ranges of several high quality instructors as magazine loaded to 30 consistently end up on the ground during reloads as they fail to lock in place.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    There is an excellent reason to load to only 28, it allows compression of the spring when performing bolt forward reloads. It guarantees the magazine will insert and lock under stress and accounts for variances in the orientation of the rounds when they are loaded.

If you are worried about two less rounds in the magazine, those two won't solve anything that a reload would not solve. You should not be shooting to bolt lock anyway.

Twenty-eight rounds in a magazine has been proven on the ranges of several high quality instructors as magazine loaded to 30 consistently end up on the ground during reloads as they fail to lock in place.

I'm not worried about anything. If it works for you then that is just great. So far I've yet to have a problem using them with 30 rounds loaded. I often purposely insert a magazine into my AR with the bolt forward for practice.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    in a USGI mag 28 is a good idea.....PMags have accounted for for the extra needed room, load 'em to 30

This.

I have never had a problem seating Pmags or having them tight in any lower, but I only buy Daniel Defense and Noveske lowers, I didnt think the cheaper brands were any different tho....

odd.

Top Bottom