• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I have an M&P9 full size and I am in need of a holster and mag carriers. I plan to use the holster for Idpa, uspsa, and to occasionally carry. I have read that most every one in idpa uses comp tac. I have heard that kydex can cause alot of damage to the finish on guns... so then I found silent thunder holsters. These look apealing to me...but are pricey. I would rather spend more money on 1 holster first vs spending twice as much on 3the and only use 1... btw im on the heavy side.. moderate love handles and pants ride on hips. 6'1" 255#

Is kydex really that "bad" for the finish?
    What are you using for the above applications?
    What are better single or double mag carriers for competition? Best brand?
    Belt recommendations? Width?
    any brands I need to consider that I didn't mention?

Thanks.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I use a Crossbreed. Have one for my 1911s and one for my Glocks. Been using them for around 5 years and while there has been some holster wear, it's no different than leather would be. I try to keep the kydex clean. So dirt doesn't get against the gun and wear the finish.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Oh, I use double mag carriers and for a belt, I like the 5.11 stuff as well as the Beltman belts found at gunshows. He is normally at the 1500.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I use a Crossbreed. Have one for my 1911s and one for my Glocks. Been using them for around 5 years and while there has been some holster wear, it's no different than leather would be. I try to keep the kydex clean. So dirt doesn't get against the gun and wear the finish.

Is this for every day carry or competition, or both?

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I have used Bladetech for competitions. I also use Blackhawk, Galco and Fobus for personal carry. Just received my Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe yesterday and am absolutely amazed with it. I have love handles that took me 42 years to grow. :) No issues at all and completely comfortable.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    Have you looked into PJ Holsters? They are kydex and really affordable. I have an IWB and a mag holster from him for my G19. He's a really good guy and can customize the holster just about any way you'd like for little to no extra cost (depends on the customization).

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    The two most recommended (That I've heard of at least), would be a Crossbreed Supertuck, or a Serpa Blackhawk.

prduke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    I have a Crossbreed for my IWB holster and a Blackhawk Serpa for my OWB holster.

Love them both.

Use IWB for when I am out and about and use the OWB for range, at my parents who have acreage, etc.

Oh btw, I have a Springfield XD9.

PAUL

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    I use a crossbreed supertuck for my M&P for my EDC and for IDPA. I use a blackhawk double mag holder. I got a supertuck for my 1911 as well. But for 2012, I'll be trying out my new all kydex holsters and mag holsters, reviews to come later.

As for holster wear, from what I've heard, any holster will eventually start to wear the finish on your handgun in someway, shape or form. But unless its a safe queen, I say don't worry about the finish and run her hard. I run my M&P hard, and train with IDPA with all my EDC gear, as if I was involved in a SD situation. Train as you fight. But that's just me...

Reno_Morris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Get the blackhawk serpa. It's a great holster and it won't wear the finish off because it doesn't really even touch the slide. Plus they are not very expensive.

sant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    You might try Raven or one similar. Crossbreed and others like it were a pain for my in comps.

rphutchi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Galco King tuck has better materials and finish than Crossbreed Supertuck IMO. Have owned both and no longer have a super tuck. King Tuck is also cheaper and doesn't take 6 weeks to arrive.

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Blackhawk Serpa retention is an excellent way to go. The Target Sports retention holster is also great for the money, this is a low-cost way to see if you like paddle/retention holsters.

CtWest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Here
    I tried out a Safariland this weekend, liked it so much ordered my own. Cost me $53 for my G30...

Top Bottom