• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm just about sold on the Raven Modular Phantom holster. Just wanted to hear some more reviews from people before I commit.

PhantomSlick1260-500x500-500x500.jpg

Also, any experience with their mag holsters? I'm trying to justify the $65.00 price.

DMC%20BK-500x500.jpg

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Raven has good quality stuff.

I picked up a phantom light body here on INGO and ordered the hardware.
    They kept me updated through the order and really made a smooth painless process. They are in my opinion a bit overpriced, but they ARE quality. If you have any problems they will stand behind their product, I have no doubt about that.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This video was very informative. I'd still like some other reactions.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZplHQWW-UEM[/ame]

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Raven is quality. Now for IMO the same quality and style check out Hooch holsters here on INGO, I use a couple of his and love them. If you want to spend the money get a Raven and it will work great!

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    Raven has great products. My first raven was great, my last holster seemed to be loose fitting. When I would run I could hear my weapon moving around in the holster, I could also with a empty magazine get it to come free of the holster with a somewhat firm shake. I do feel like there are just as high of quality products being made by other companies that charge less. Hooch holsters, Henry Holsters, Custom Kydex Solutions, Mills Tactical, etc. (These are just Indiana based companies). I have been using Hooch Holsters now for a while and I would say his holster are just as high of quality as raven, His prices are less and he has almost no wait time for the most part (couple of days).

Here is a Hooch Holsters G22 w/TLR1
    IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

I also have a non light-bearing model for my g22 and another for my M&P shield. Great products and they are made right here in Indiana.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have 6 holsters, all of mine are great.

Never had a loose fitting one, that would get sent back IMO.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    OK guys, you've got my attention about Hooch Holsters.

On a Hooch holster, does the gun "click" into place as it becomes fully seated in the holster? (See video posted about regarding Raven.) I like that feature.

Are the Hooch mag holsters appropriately snug? I noticed that they are not adjustable with a screw. This is a concern of mine because I have owned mag holsters that were unusable at fast speeds because they were too tight, and not adjustable.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Raven holsters are high quality and they are here on INGO. But they are just a basic kydex holster. I dont care much for kydex holsters. But I do have a couple of Blackhawk holsters (yes I can hear the hissing and booing from the peanut gallery). What I really like and my next purchase are going to be G Code holsters XST system (retention system). Using the RTI wheels you can take the holster off your hip put it on another wheel in the car etc...

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

On a Hooch holster, does the gun "click" into place as it becomes fully seated in the holster? (See video posted about regarding Raven.) I like that feature.

Are the Hooch mag holsters appropriately snug? I noticed that they are not adjustable with a screw. This is a concern of mine because I have owned mag holsters that were unusable at fast speeds because they were too tight, and not adjustable.

I've owned several and they do click in nicely and are plenty snug yet easy to draw whether OWB or IWB.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This video was very informative. I'd still like some other reactions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZplHQWW-UEM

Never tried a Raven, when I was mobilized I e-mailed them with a very specific question and all they did was dump me into their FAQ's when nothing there addressed my concern. If they can't even respond to a simple question from an army guy then I didn't have time for them either. Try a Hooch you can get them direct from him or Elmores in Indy and the place in Seymour stocks them so you can check them out.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

My pistol is snug in a Hooch. I also have one of his double mag holders and it has a screw to adjust the retention. I don't believe the single mag holders do. The nice thing about Kydex is that it can be heated up and adjusted a bit more. I would recommend the Hooch.

My buddies use and swear by the Ravens. They are excellent quality as well.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I have broken two Raven holsters and a Raven magazine pouch and separate from those incidents I also broke a couple belt loops for both the holster and the mag carrier. So I am not sure about their long-term durability. I should say that I run my gear frequently. I wear the holster daily, am on the range weekly doing varoius drills involving drawing and moving and various positions, etc , and I attend several shooting classes a year. I don't baby my gear. I expect it to work through anything I have to do.

On the other hand, in all these instances, I found Raven customer service to be very responsive and accomodating. They were quick to replace the holsters and belt loops and offered up some solutions such as different belt loops for the holster to increase strength and alleviate some of the stress on the holster body. So I give them good points on that.

The first magazine carrier I had was press-molded kydex and it was very well formed to the magazines. (Glock 9mm) I really liked the way it was molded. The replacement for that magazine holder was from a new type of molding (injection molding?) and it is not as well fitted to the magazines. Also, the tension spring seems to hold one magazine tighter than the other.

I still run the Raven holster and magazine carrier on the range and in classes. I like the way it carries and it holds the gun well. I also still carry in it sometimes. However, I think well crafted leather is more durable than Kydex.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    I will be getting mine in the near future. The wait for custom units is long, but they did clearly let me know before I finalized the order. My holster is in production now, it's like waiting on xmas.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I have broken two Raven holsters and a Raven magazine pouch and separate from those incidents I also broke a couple belt loops for both the holster and the mag carrier.
    Can you say more about how you broke them? Were you practicing tactical rolls with the holsters, or did they just crack one day after a lot of use?

I've owned both Raven and Hooch products. I like them both, for different reasons.https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...7-review_hooch_holsters_single_mag_pouch.html
    Thanks Evan, I read both of your threads.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    New and used, I'm on my...5th, I think.

I am a very light user, however.

I also have a single mag pouch.

Their quick Ship is a welcomed addition for the most popular items, too.

There is good reason that many of the "big names" in the training world buy and run Raven gear.

ETA: I've used a phantom for both IWB and OWB carry. IMHO, they are much better suited for OWB, but work equally well IWB, just not as comfortably.

I now have a Henry Holsters hybrid holster for IWB carry

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I realize these are 2 different products, but can you give us an idea of specific differences in the products from each (i.e. thickness of the material, etc?)

Esrice, we need a head to head holster throw down ;) I can't afford to drop the $ on both, but maybe some INGOers have one of each and could loan them to you for one of your amazing reviews :ingo:

I'm looking to pick up one of these holsters myself and would like to get some idea of the specific differences of the Hooch vs the Raven (overall size, material used, differences in design, etc).

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I can't see myself paying 60 bucks for a gun holster, and however much for a mag holder for each gun I carry. I would rather pay for materials and a rivet setter and make it myself. No warranty, but if it breaks I am out what, 20 bucks?

They can be made quite simply, and kydex can be ordered online for 5 bucks a square, if you buy 4 squares it's even cheaper.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Please don't tale this personally... this is more of a generic statement/opinion than a comment directed at you.

But if I'm going to take the steps and make the investment of a lifetime LTCH, invest big money into quality firearms, and more good money into quality training... I'm not going to trust that investment in a poor quality holster/belt. MY life, and the lives of my family are worth the peace of mind that quality gear provides.

No one has to spend $60 per gun on a holster... but I certainly would spend that much on something I intended to carry. I HAVE made that investment...three times now. (Three bought new, Bought one used, found one in a bargain bin, and my Henry came in a trade).

I will honestly ask you, though- how much is your life worth? Worth it for quality gear?

I can't see myself paying 60 bucks for a gun holster, and however much for a mag holder for each gun I carry. I would rather pay for materials and a rivet setter and make it myself. No warranty, but if it breaks I am out what, 20 bucks?

They can be made quite simply, and kydex can be ordered online for 5 bucks a square, if you buy 4 squares it's even cheaper.

Top Bottom