• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks for the info. I'd be interested in some info on a good non +P loading if found a reason to test it. I have an old Colt Agent that I'm a bit leery of using +P in with the aluminum frame.

I like those cool metal "saw horses" you used to hold the project up with.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Thanks for the info. I'd be interested in some info on a good non +P loading if found a reason to test it. I have an old Colt Agent that I'm a bit leery of using +P in with the aluminum frame.

I'm having a heck of a time finding anything in a defensive load that's not +P. Buffalo Bore makes a load that isn't +P, but does gain the velocity of a +P load and uses some really soft lead.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to find the stuff locally and I usually don't order ammo. I've had a lot of trouble with doing so.

As I think that report said, this stuff seems to be barely +P. Certainly not any snappier than standard pressure practice ammo, and less snappy than the FBI load.

My Rossi isn't +P rated either though it'll take Speer Lawman 125gr +P (hot hot hot) and not fall apart. I just practice with standard pressure and carry the Gold Dot Short Barrel tested above.

Thanks,

Josh <><

P.S. What type of standard pressure ammo do you carry? I'll be on the lookout of for some. J.S.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    P.S. What type of standard pressure ammo do you carry? I'll be on the lookout of for some. J.S.

I don't really carry it. It's been a safe queen for years. Just recently I dug it out and discovered it fits very nicely in the neoprene top of my Muck boots. I live pretty close to a lake and often bank fish in them.

I have some very old lead round nose in it now, 158 gr I think. I need to put a fair amount of rounds through it to see how accurate I can be how far out.

Thanks

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Hey Josh,

Have you done any testing at all with this frangible or "green" ammo? I thought I read where in addition to being "range & environment friendly", it was also showing promise as a defensive round. :dunno:

Here's an example: Catalog

BTW..... Nice data flow on all that testing!!! :cheers:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

No, I've not. I don't see it around here.

If I get my hands on some, I'll test it though. I'm always on the lookout for new and different stuff - and old and different, in the case of some of this stuff I have tested.

Josh <><

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Thanks for the info. Looks like it may be a good choice for when I carry my old S&W, Military-Police (now model 10) even though it is a 4". Glad to hear you don't think the pressure is to high. The old Smith is about 1949 vintage but really tight. Wouldn't use these except for test and carry. Handloaded wadcutters for practice.
    Thanks for the time and trouble to test and report.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    FYI: Winchester Silver Hollow Point 110 grain .38 standard pressure is still available. I use the "Short Barrel" 135gr+P Gold Dot as the load ammo in my daily carry 642. I keep 6 silver HP in a speed strip in my pocket as "slow reload". I figure if things are bad enough that I am reloading from my speed strip, I'd better have silver. :lmfao:

Top Bottom