• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Well I placed an order last week and it arrived today. This thing is huge and very heavy. It has a 7 guage body with a 5/16 thick door, S&G combo lock and is very "sturdy". I know some people either love Sturdy or hate them, I far one am very happy with this. It has a very "commercial" feal and look to it, it's not a living room show piece.

I was able to move it off the pallet quite easily by myself with the use of my brains and floor jack. I was able to lift one side up and slide a roller underneath it and it slid off pretty easy.

It's very easy to move in a straight line but a major pia to turn. I called Sturdy and asked Terry (owner) for advice and he said to use 6" roller lengths instead of the 20" I was using, point them in the direction you want to go...easier sade then done. My concern is moving it on the carpet, I feel like it will tear it up, keeping it in the garage is not an option. I got it turned 180 degrees around and primed to go in the house but I am going to need further assitance from friends to get her in and situated.

Here are some pics:

DSC00291.jpg

DSC00292.jpg

DSC00293.jpg

DSC00294.jpg

Some of the reasons that I choose Sturdy:

YouTube - 10000lb. Forklift Pull Test On Sturdy Gun Safe Door Video

YouTube - Pry Bar Test On a Sturdy Gun Safe With Deadbolts Removed!

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I looked at these and also talked with the owner. I liked it but the cost of delivery was way too much. I ended up with a Fatboy. I like it and it was cheaper yet not the crap chinese stuff.
    Either way, great purchase :thumbsup:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Nice looking safe. I ended up purchasing from Johnson Safe Company. In part because they're local. In part because he's a site advertiser. And in part because the owner of the company took my call at ~ 13:30 on New Years Eve.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Thanks for the replies :yesway:. I may do some things to jazz it up a little, a little 3m spray and some fabric, not sure about that though. Needless to say there is no way I could come close to filling it up but they always say buy bigger than you need.....:ar15:

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Boy am I glad that is done.....
    icon_smile_shock.gif
    . I moved it 95% by myself then had help once it was in the room it was going it and it was a huge help (thanks to member USAGOLD), moral of the story is next time I might pay to have it moved. I used 6" pieces of broom handle and moved it almost the entire way on 3/4" plywood. Next time I move it I think it will be fine to move it on the carpet without issue.

Love the size and all the room. I'm getting it settled in as I type. I know I know I need more guns, some day. Next task will be to work on some ligthing.

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00297.jpg

DSC00298.jpg

ImGumbyD@mIt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Lafayette Area
    Nice looking safe. I ended up purchasing from Johnson Safe Company. In part because they're local. In part because he's a site advertiser. And in part because the owner of the company took my call at ~ 13:30 on New Years Eve.

I was going to order one from Sturdy but also ended up with a Johnson. I am glad to hear that you like your Sturdy though. I really like Mr. Johnson and am glad that I could purchase locally. My dad was impressed with my safe and Mr. Johnson and just ordered one like mine.

:+1:For Johnson Safe :rockwoot:

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Nice heavy looking safe.When I got mine the first thing I did was look for a way to change the combo.Its not that tricky and can be done yourself or have someone do it for you.Only problem with that was when i talked to "Them" a couple bonded locksmiths ,I didnt trust them either. They just seemed a little off to me.Maybe it was just me,but I didnt like the fact that someone had the combo besides me.
    Anyway,if you want instructions on how to do it send me an I.M. again nice safe.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Nice heavy looking safe.When I got mine the first thing I did was look for a way to change the combo.Its not that tricky and can be done yourself or have someone do it for you.Only problem with that was when i talked to "Them" a couple bonded locksmiths ,I didnt trust them either. They just seemed a little off to me.Maybe it was just me,but I didnt like the fact that someone had the combo besides me.
    Anyway,if you want instructions on how to do it send me an I.M. again nice safe.

Thanks for the heads up. It cam with a key to change it. I believe you use the 11 o clock position on the dial instead of the 12. I may do it some day once I get the hang of dialing it in. It's very touchy if you don't get it just right it doesn't work.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    That is a nice looking gun safe, must of been a bear to move by yourself. What is the size and weight of the safe? Plenty of room for christmas and b-day presents in the future. Enjoyed the video with the forktrucks and was waiting to see if the chain was going to break. Lets see the BDs try to get in there.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    That is a nice looking gun safe, must of been a bear to move by yourself. What is the size and weight of the safe? Plenty of room for christmas and b-day presents in the future. Enjoyed the video with the forktrucks and was waiting to see if the chain was going to break. Lets see the BDs try to get in there.

It's 48x24x72. The depth does not include the handle so with the handle it's actually 27 (some safe manufactuers measure their depth with the handle). It came it right under 1100 pounds.

Here updated photo, added lighting.

DSC00301.jpg

Top Bottom