Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    WHAT: ACT DR210 Defensive Rifle Combined
    WHEN: 16JUL16 0900-1600
    WHERE: Riley Conservation Club - near Terre Haute, IN
    TUITION: $165
    PREREQUISITES: A defensive handgun class such as ACT DP101 or consent of instructor
    INSTRUCTORS: John Viray; ACT staff

Our next Defensive Rifle (DR210) class will be held on Saturday 16JUL16 near Terre Haute, Indiana. This class is intended for individuals who keep a rifle for potential defensive use. Most civilian defense situations will occur at relatively close range (less than 50 yards) and the dynamics of close quarters use of the rifle differ considerably from longer range engagements. Any fully-functional, centerfire repeating rifle or carbine will suffice for this class, but a self-loader is recommended.

NOTE: We will be doing a "battle field pickup" exercise. Should you want to participate you will need to bring some .223; .308; 7.62x39 .22lr and shotgun slugs. I say "some" because there will be those that may wish to run the exercise more than once. 5 to 10 of each will be plenty. This is, of course, in addition to your ammunition for the rest of the class.

TO REGISTER: Send EMAIL to john@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com

Questions leave here in the thread or pm me.

Some of the topics addressed include:

• SAFETY! SAFETY! SAFETY!
    • Attitude and the commitment to protect yourself and those in your care
    • Stopping threats and how to do it more efficiently; ammunition selection
    • Configuring the rifle and related gear for your own needs
    • Zeroing the rifle
    • Basic operations & manipulations; reloading; malfunctions; other gun handling
    • Features and controls of the AR-15 and AK rifles
    • Basic marksmanship
    • Stance; ready positions & presentation; other positions
    • Engaging single and multiple threat targets
    • Movement
    • Cover and Concealment
    • rifle to secondary transition
    • Battle field pickup

EQUIPMENT LIST:

REQUIRED ITEMS:

• Eye protection
    • Hearing protection (suitable for use with rifle)
    • Rifle - repeater; must function reliably with your ammunition
    • Lubricant suitable for rifle (FP-10, WeaponShield, CLP, Slip-2000, etc.)
    • Magazines -Three (3) minimum; more is better
    • Magazine carrier on body (for at least one or two spare mags)
    • Sling - either a tactical sling or a simple carry strap
    • Ammunition - 300-500 rounds (generous estimate)
    • Pistol with holster, mags or speedloaders and ammunition (50 to 100 rds)

RECOMMENDED ITEMS:

• Clothing appropriate for season, including hat with brim and rain gear
    • Comfort items (sunscreen, insect repellant, over the counter pain reliever, etc.)
    • Shooting mat, knee pads, elbow pads, gloves
    • Cleaning kit
    • snacks and beverages (hot dog lunch and water will be provided)

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Questions have been raised as to what we consider relevant training or experience to meet requirements. Some examples could, but not absolute, USPSA or IDPA classification card, RO or SO credentials from either organization, Bright Training's intermediate level offerings, Frank Sharpe's offerings etc. You get the idea. This is an open enrollment class, but the pace will be fairly quick and we want you all to get the most out of the class you are able.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have started keeping a lever gun with me in the truck for emergency use. Would there be drills of portions of the day where that would be appropriate to get some trigger time in with?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I have started keeping a lever gun with me in the truck for emergency use. Would there be drills of portions of the day where that would be appropriate to get some trigger time in with?

You essentially know the program, Coach. Thought the AR or AK may be more efficient, the lever gun is a good choice. Any of the drills can, and should be, shot with the lever.

Hope you can make it!

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'm almost ready. I have around 112 rounds of ammo from six different manufacturers, none of which I've fired through any rifle I own.
    I've never cleaned my rifle because I want to test its reliability in your class.
    The rifle has had nearly a full magazine shot through it, so I know it works fine.
    My buddy at the gun shop said I didn't need to zero it, lube it, clean it, or check any screws for tightness. I did most of that, but couldn't stand not lubing it, so I squirted my special mix of WD40 and 3-in1 oil inside it.
    It's a good rifle, though. It's just as good as those big buck rifles you stupid guys overpaid for.

Looking forward to it.

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    John & Eric,
    Thanks again for putting this class together. It was great to get out with the rifle again and put in some more serious work with it.

Barry I had a pretty good chuckle at your last post here, as Jackson brought a rifle he put together Friday night, lubed it with axle grease which he'd never used before, and shot ammo that he'd never tried before either. He got away with it working without issue. We just need to get it out and zero it now.

Thanks to everyone there for making it a fun and safe day of training!

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yeah, when I was hearing about that rifle at the start of the class, I was thinking I'd heard that story before!
    THAT one worked OK all day though, didn't it?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Viray boys have a reputation of going to matches, some of them big ones, with new, untested gear.

Jason, thanks for the kind words. Good to see you and glad you took the time to come push your rifle a bit with us.

Barry, thanks again for bringing your heavy steel. Really made the BFPU exercise more fun.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    AAR: ACT DR210 Defensive Rifle (Combined)
    Jul 16, 2016
    Ponderosa Sun Club, Naked City, IN

This AAR has been very, very delayed in coming. I have started it a few times, and thought it over several more times.
    My original thoughts are probably the best, so I'm going to share that instead of delaying it another five or six months.

I've had a class or two, but I've taken this same class a few times. I'll probably take it again next year.
    This time, I brought a friend along for his first ever firearms training.

Think about those two points. I keep coming, and it's what I suggested to my buddy for his first class. I don't know what else I can add to that.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom