POC

Value of old ammunition boxes

Anyone sold or bought or ever seen a market for old (antique?) antique boxes? I've just came across a few "older" looking boxes. I'm just curious.
    Project Appleseed Instructor in Training -235 "I know what I am about."

Master
    Full old boxes of ammo are worth a lot the box itself better be in pristine shape to be whoth case without the ammo.,

I saw some old ammo boxes (empty) at the big antique mall in Taylorsville / Edinburgh not too long ago. They were priced around $5, if I remember correctly.

Don't know how many that booth had sold, though...

-J-

Quote Originally Posted by jmarriott View Post
    Full old boxes of ammo are worth a lot the box itself better be in pristine shape to be whoth case without the ammo.,
    What??

And are we talking about metal military type ammo boxes/cans, or the actual cardboard boxes ammo comes packaged in?

POC
    Cardboard.
    Project Appleseed Instructor in Training -235 "I know what I am about."

I have a ammo box, that held .30 chain fed ammo during WWII. My Grandfather gave it to me, so I would never get rid of it.

Cru
    My father found a box of UN-OPENED 9mm military issue ammo from 1952 when cleaning out my grandfathers things, interesting, but I doubt it's valuable.
    "I'll cut you DEEP!" --Lexie

Try Googling for one of the Cartridge Collectors Associations, most have forums now and Im sure they would at least know some appox. values.

I bought (2) boxes of -06 AP in the boxes (good cond.) for $10 per box... I thought the ammo alone was a good buy !!!
    "High drag and Low speed!!!"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarriott View Post
    Man i was up early this morning,. I mean it better be in pristine shape to be worth cash without the ammo. Rare boxes might be worth some cash, obscure rounds like 222 mag, 22 rem jet, ect.

Plinker

boxes

some boxes are worth money, most are not. if you find any 2 piece boxes, hold on to them. the base of the box is one piece, and the top lifts off. they are pretty early, and a lot of the time valuable. if they are sealed, leave them that way! worth more money as a sealed box. some of the old boxes are very valuable, some old shotshell boxes are worth in the thousands, a few 22 boxes are the same. actually, I think it is amazing that some boxes and ammo has survived for 160-170 years plus! I see some boxes in the $500 range pretty commonly. I think the most expensive box with ammo I have ever seen was just a bit over 20 grand...lol.. there are several sites that are ok for information, but most cartridge dealers don't even have a list of what they have. there are a couple of big cartridge shows every year and I've seen some high dollar shells there as well. Most collectors just collect singles, but some of the old boxes are just very ornate printed and very attractive. I mostly have singles, but in my case is the extreme cost of full boxes of examples I need..lol..