What is the fastest FACTORY rifle cartridge in CURRENT production?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Just wondering what is the fastest Factory rifle cartrdge in Current production. By this I am not asking flattest or best or anything else, just what has the highest muzzle velocity? No wildcats either...

On another note, what Factory cartridge in current production has the Flattest trajectory to 1000 yards?

I just thought these 2 questions would make an interesting discussion as they are not likely to have the same answer, which might be surprising to a few.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .204 Ruger AFAIK.

flattest to 1,000... only a guess... but it would have to be something fast and heavy with low drag bullets... gravity is constant, regardless of bullet weight... meaning the lowest elapsed time of flight from barrel to target wins.

.50 BMG or .338 Lapua Mag... hmmm.... no... probably the .416 Barret or the .408 Chey Tac. Do you consider those factory?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    204 Ruger and 17 Remington, if you restrict ammunition to factory offerings as well and believe the published data. I don't think Savage ever got around to offering anything in 5/35 but I could be wrong.

That the fastest isn't the flattest to 1000 will surprise many, but not many shoot.

neraph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    I think the 223 WSSM edges out the 204 Ruger for speed, but it may depend on the definitions of "Factory" and "Current". It's still produced, but the big names don't load the light bullets anymore due to concerns about barrel life. Some small houses, like Conley Precision, load 36gr bullets at a claimed 4500fps.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    If its going to be the fastest, it will have to beat one of these:

supervelocity.jpg

Average of all velocities for each caliber.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    220 swift or 204 ruger. If weatherby makes it still the 30-378 weatherby mag.

Having had a 30-378, they can just barely edge past 4k with a 110 grain Speer. They might do better with something saboted but I doubt they'll make 4,200.

If you add in the requirement that cartridge be capable of flinging an executive class bullet at spine tingling speeds, 257 Weatherby might be The One.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Yes and I'll take boring old 223 Remington, or better yet 223 AI, over the WSSM version any day.

Not so much about the cartridge as the brass, and action availability.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I have to give my props to the .220 Swift. From the factory, it will flat out burn the doors off of all but the must exclusive reloads. It is just one hell of a smoker.

Top Bottom