Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is steel core pistol ammo illegal?

I just heard it was cause it is cop killer ammo or some such stupidity.

If this is true, then if I had an AK pistol and loaded it up with some surplus steel core 7.62X39 I would instantly become a felon? or would even having the ammo be illegal?

Johnny C

Does steel core == armor piercing?

From Indiana Code 35-47-5
    IC 35-47-5-11
    "Armor-piercing handgun ammunition" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 11. (a) As used in this section, "armor-piercing handgun ammunition" means a cartridge that:
    (1) can be fired in a handgun; and
    (2) will, upon firing, expel a projectile that has a metal core and an outer coating of plastic.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) possesses;
    (3) transfers possession of; or
    (4) offers to transfer possession of;
    armor-piercing handgun ammunition commits a Class C felony.
    (c) This section does not apply to nylon coated ammunition, plastic shot capsules, or ammunition designed to be used in rifles or shotguns.
    (d) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting in the course of the officer's official duties or to a person who manufactures or imports for sale or sells armor-piercing handgun ammunition to a law enforcement agency.
    Ryan "ElDirector"
    _(O|||||||O)_

Danville Conservation Club | JPFrog Offroaders
    Indiana Four Wheel Drive Assoc.
    I make my own luck.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

“The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”
    ― Dante Alighieri, Inferno

"Cop killers" or so they were called were Black Talons. To save you the history lesson on true BT ammo lets just say who ever told you steel core ammo was illegal is FOS. If it were you couldnt buy M855. Besides I think Black Talons were only made in pistol calibers anyway.
    Protection One Tactical Training

Banana clips are illegal too.....

making INGO a smooth ride
    So can you "manufacture" steel core ammo or are you limited to casting lead or Brass only? I'm talking about personal use not for sale or use by others.

So if you had handgun SLAP handgun ammo, that would be illegal?

Shoot, there goes my .50BMG handgun dream .

Shooter
    I have plenty of STEEL CORE 50 BMG ammo

Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    Does steel core == armor piercing?
    In a handgun, no. (As far as INDIANA law is concerned.)

"a projectile that has a metal core and an outer coating of plastic."

As far as federal law is concerned, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by GARANDGUY View Post
    "Cop killers" or so they were called were Black Talons. To save you the history lesson on true BT ammo lets just say who ever told you steel core ammo was illegal is FOS. If it were you couldnt buy M855. Besides I think Black Talons were only made in pistol calibers anyway.
    Black Talon isn't "armor piercing" and was never plastic or teflon coated and was never banned. Winchester stopped making it because of all the anti-gun news media publicity and public confusion on the matter. (And by "armor piercing handgun ammunition" we're talking about soft body armor, not the hardened steel armor plating used on armored vehicles.) The armor piercing handgun bullet controversy was over the KTW bullet (made by North American Ordnance Corp.) that was teflon coated and puportedly could penetrate *many* layers of kevlar.

Green tip M855 (SS109 bullet) has a steel "penetrator" tip and is not classified as armor piercing regardless of what signs at the gun show say -- the core is not made entirely of steel, it's mostly lead. The ATF has specifically exempted the 5.56 NATO M855 and the .30-06 M2 ball ammo from the armor piercing list (There's so much M2 out there that they could never hope to get it all back), but 7.62 NATO AP and the very cheap steel core 7.62x39 are on the list -- thanks to some idiot who made an AK pistol -- yes he knew what would happen. (There's also still a bunch of steel core 7.62x39 ammo out there). AP rifle ammo (the kind that will penetrate steel armor) is not illegal to own or buy.

The federal law that governs "armor piercing" ammo, is for ammo that can be fired from a handgun (there's not a kevlar vest in the world that will stop a rifle bullet, even the ones that are lead core.)

Quote Originally Posted by rgoziner View Post
    So if you had handgun SLAP handgun ammo, that would be illegal?

Shoot, there goes my .50BMG handgun dream .
    7.62 NATO AP and SLAP are on the list.

More info here:

rec.guns FAQ: II.G.1. Federal Law and AP Ammunition
    Last edited by kludge; 05-13-2011 at 08:39. Reason: spelling
    AMERICA - Clinging to our GUNS and RELIGION since 1776.

NRA Certified Instructor - Rifle, Pistol
    www.danvilleconservationclub.org
    www.jpfrog.org

Ok, that clears it up.
    So who has some 7.62 NATO AP ammo they can sell me.

Quote Originally Posted by kludge View Post
    In a handgun, no. (As far as INDIANA law is concerned.)

"a projectile that has a metal core and an outer coating of plastic."

As far as federal law is concerned, yes.

Black Talon isn't "armor piercing" and was never plastic or teflon coated and was never banned. Winchester stopped making it because of all the anti-gun news media publicity and public confusion on the matter. (And by "armor piercing handgun ammunition" we're talking about soft body armor, not the hardened steel armor plating used on armored vehicles.) The armor piercing handgun bullet controversy was over the KTW bullet (made by North American Ordnance Corp.) that was teflon coated and puportedly could penetrate *many* layers of kevlar.

Green tip M855 (SS109 bullet) has a steel "penetrator" tip and is not classified as armor piercing regardless of what signs at the gun show say -- the core is not made entirely of steel, it's mostly lead. The ATF has specifically exempted the 5.56 NATO M855 and the .30-06 M2 ball ammo from the armor piercing list (There's so much M2 out there that they could never hope to get it all back), but 7.62 NATO AP and the very cheap steel core 7.62x39 are on the list -- thanks to some idiot who made an AK pistol -- yes he knew what would happen. (There's also still a bunch of steel core 7.62x39 ammo out there). AP rifle ammo (the kind that will penetrate steel armor) is not illegal to own or buy.

The federal law that governs "armor piercing" ammo, is for ammo that can be fired from a handgun (there's not a kevlar vest in the world that will stop a rifle bullet, even the ones that are lead core.)

7.62 NATO AP and SLAP are on the list.

More info here:

rec.guns FAQ: II.G.1. Federal Law and AP Ammunition
    Thanks for the clarification. I knew what ya said about the M855 and the M2 ball as I have alot of it stored in the safe. I didnt know about the BT ammo vs the KTW though. Thanks for the lesson and clarification sir.
    Protection One Tactical Training

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast