• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Clean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Where can I find affordable, but reliable .223 ammo. I just picked up my first AR and am a little light in the pocket due to the purchase. Would like to put some rounds through her, without breaking the bank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Unless you buy in bulk (say, 1000 rounds), you can expect to pay 40-50 cents per round. In bulk, you can get it for 35-38 cents per round.

Mr Clean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I understand bulk would be the better buy, but with the holidays I am not in the position to drop $350 until January, I was looking for a possible lead for the short- term...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you just want to pick up a couple of boxes, Walmart sells 20rd boxes of Remington 55gr FMJ for like $9.50. That puts it on the high side, but most gun shops will sell small lots for a bit higher.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Dicks has UMC 20 round boxes on sale for $7.98, ie $0.40 per round. About the best Ive seen in a retail store lately. Good luck finding any in stock though.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I know some gun shops will sell small bags of bulk ammo. I have bought 100 rounds of Wolf for $30 and 100 rounds of XM193 for right at $40. Kind of lets you shoot some different bulk ammo to see how it goes through your rifle before buying 1000 only to find out it doesn't shoot worth a crap in your rifle. A lot of people complain of Wolf but I will say it has shot in every AR I have tried it in and it doesn't shoot too bad. But it is not reloadable.

I have been saving brass, buying a press and some componets along. I will probably be reloading my first rounds after the first of the year

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's not that Wolf shoots poorly, it's that it's dirty as hell and there are some ranges that don't want you shooting steel-case there.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Hey, I never said it was cool, just that you couldn't shoot it.

Right. The thing that really torques me is that Cop's... er... I mean Pop's will tell you it's because it's dirty and it clogs their filters rather than telling the truth. If they were concerned about dirty burning powder, there would be a whole lot more than just Wolf that wasn't allowed. :yesway:

smooth308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Martinsville,IN
    Yeah wolf is dirty i will admit. But like stated before i have shot thousands of rounds with out any problems,but on a side not i always clean my firearm well after every shot.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I clean after every outing as well so it is not an issue with me either. I really don't notice it being any dirtier than the other stuff I shoot though. Heck a dirty rifle is a dirty rifle and it needs cleaned. It is not like it will stop shooting alltogether half way through a case of Wolf and you have to stop and clean it.
    He did state he was looking for some plinking ammo to run through his new rifle and $$ was short. I say pick up a few boxes of several kinds and see for himself. He will be able to tell soon enough. He may have one of the few rifles that I have heard about that "just won't shoot cheap ammo":n00b: even though I have never seen one that would not shoot Wolf personally. Both of my ARs shoot Wolf quite well as a matter of fact. :ar15:

MillenniumC5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Wayne County
    I pick most of mine up at gun shows,also Cabela's web site gives you a nice 14"L x 11-1/2"H x 8"W dry ammo box if you purchase 200rds, 2 boxes for 500rds, and 4 boxes for 1000rds from them,plus free shipping if you spend $100 or more. They have several brands. I would only order 200 at a time just in case you don't like the ammo, plus you get an extra dry boxes per 1000rds. The boxes are only valued at $14.95 but are handy. I use them for all my other ammo and mags too.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    You might try some of the Hornady Practice ammo. I'ts steel cased and non-reloadable, but it's priced very nicely. I picked up a box of 50 round for around $18 from Premier Arms in Brownsburg (858-3030) and is shot nearly as well in my scoped AR as Hornady TAP ammo. Right around 1 1/4" @ 100 yards. It's good ammo at a great price.

The Wolf ammo is good stuff for plinking as well, it is dirty, but the first 400 rounds or so I put through my Ar build was all Wolf and it had no functioning problems even after well over 500 rounds of Wolf and other ammo.

Doug K

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I shoot a lot of Wolf out of my AR's and have had no problems with it. Even let them get pretty dirty at times and they still shoot it just fine. Both of them are Bushmasters. The AR-180 I have for sell seemed to love Wolf as well. Shot a couple hundred rounds through it without a problem.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    I took in a add from Dicks that showed the .223 ammo for 7.98 a box to Wal-Mart and they honored it. As long as it is the same item they will honor it, this included some of the other calibers they had also.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Wolf does fair for the average shooter that is only going to burn a few hundred rounds at a time, but for those of us who have done mag dumps until the weapon was hot enough to cook on they can be a problem. The coating on the cases begins to melt on contact with the chamber and builds up causing lockup failure. I have no use for steel cased ammo for SHTF ammo in an AR that I'm betting my life on though. Just my :twocents:.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Wolf does fair for the average shooter that is only going to burn a few hundred rounds at a time, but for those of us who have done mag dumps until the weapon was hot enough to cook on they can be a problem. The coating on the cases begins to melt on contact with the chamber and builds up causing lockup failure. I have no use for steel cased ammo for SHTF ammo in an AR that I'm betting my life on though. Just my :twocents:.

That may have been true with the older lacquer cased ammo but all of the newer Wolf ammo is polymer cased and will not have that result. I have put several thousand rounds of wolf through my RRA and not have had any issues. This includes mag dumps.

YMMV

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Correct, it was with the lacquer coated stuff, but because of it I've not shot wolf in 5.56/.223 since and never will again. The last show I went to recently was still selling the same stuff. Guy had a full skid siting on the floor. Wolf is about all I shoot in the AKs and SKS but if it isn't brass cased it won't go into my ARs.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom