• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    This thought has been jangling around in my head for a while.

There are some calibers that I don't reload for because I just don't shoot them that much. For me, a couple of examples are .380 ACP, 7.62x54R, and 9mm Mak. I have guns that shoot these calibers, but I don't shoot them enough to jusitfy the cost of the dies.

I finally did break down and get the 9mm Mak dies. But it got me to wondering - do you think it would work to try and set up some kind of system of loaning out dies amongst a group of reloaders?

At the rate I reload, it takes me at least a month or two to finish the load I'm on - so that is months and months were most of my dies are sitting idle. I would not necessarily mind loaning them out if I was certain I could get them back in decent condition within a reasonable time frame.

At the same time, it might not be worth my time to buy the dies and everything to reload 7.62x54R. But, if I could borrow the dies and load up all the empty brass I had, that would be enough ammo to last me several years at the rate I shoot my Mosin.

I know the crux of the matter is the issue of getting the dies back in decent condition within a reasonable time frame. So, here was my proposal to take the risk out for the "lender:" the person loaning out the dies would put down, as a deposit, the current replacement value in cash of the dies. Just look up on the Dillon or Midway or Graf website what those dies cost plus shipping, and leave that $ with the lender, with an agreement on what the return date will be. If the person loaning out the dies doesn't show up by the due date, or the dies aren't returned in a condition satisfactory to the lender, the lender keeps the money and the person loaning keeps the dies.

It may be that most folks just say, "If you have a gun in that caliber, you should have the dies, too." I can sort of see this point of view, and with a decent set of Lee dies going for $25, it makes some sense. But with my Dillon 550b, I would definitely need another $10 or so for a powder funnel for that caliber. Depending on what caliber it is and what the case head looks like, I will probably need a new shell plate and pins (sometimes you get lucky, and there is a shell plate you already have that will work for the new caliber). At this point, I am probably getting close to $100 to get started in a new caliber. I would have to load and shoot a heck of a lot of 7.62x54R to recoup that initial investment before my reloads are really cost-competitive with what I can get factory ammo for.

Just a thought. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else is in the same boat...

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It might be a good idea, if you can get enough responsible folks together who are interested in the same calibers. I have trouble getting guys (and these are good guys) to return things I've loaned them. It is also tough to get some folks to follow-through on their promises. I've bought things for a group and have regularly had people renege. Getting the money up front sounds like a good idea, but you must be very clear regarding the agreement.

OTOH, I've always condsidered my reloading equipment a good investment. It seems to retain some value, so I could always sell it and get some of my money back. I've never liked the thought of having a buddy with whom to share my equipment. I like to take care of everything I have. It was the way I was raised, and when I was younger, I was very poor and things had to last a long time. Someone to whom I might loan out stuff may not be as particular as me and that might cause bad feelings. I'd rather spend the bucks duplicating items than to strain a good friendship.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    It might be a good idea, if you can get enough responsible folks together who are interested in the same calibers. I have trouble getting guys (and these are good guys) to return things I've loaned them. It is also tough to get some folks to follow-through on their promises. I've bought things for a group and have regularly had people renege. Getting the money up front sounds like a good idea, but you must be very clear regarding the agreement.

OTOH, I've always condsidered my reloading equipment a good investment. It seems to retain some value, so I could always sell it and get some of my money back. I've never liked the thought of having a buddy with whom to share my equipment. I like to take care of everything I have. It was the way I was raised, and when I was younger, I was very poor and things had to last a long time. Someone to whom I might loan out stuff may not be as particular as me and that might cause bad feelings. I'd rather spend the bucks duplicating items than to strain a good friendship.

This is so true, I have some great friends that you don't want to loan them your car or your girlfriend because they will throw a rod in both of them!

A better idea might be to put together a list of what people reload and then people could let others do their reloading while they save for the equipment they need.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Just buy some dies. They don't cost that much and if you watch for used ones they can be had for half price.

Come on those Lee Dies are not that much. Honestly if a guy can't handle the cost of what a set of Lee Dies cost, he really doesn't have any business spending his money on a hobby.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    Just buy some dies. They don't cost that much and if you watch for used ones they can be had for half price.

Come on those Lee Dies are not that much. Honestly if a guy can't handle the cost of what a set of Lee Dies cost, he really doesn't have any business spending his money on a hobby.

I agree with Jack Ryan.....If you can't pony up for some dies and a reloading book, then buy factory ammo. I have dies for calibers I don't even reload for (yet). Really it's not about saving that much money, In the beginning it was as components were that much cheaper. SO now it's about quality control, I control the quality!:rockwoot:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Honestly if a guy can't handle the cost of what a set of Lee Dies cost, he really doesn't have any business spending his money on a hobby.

If you can't pony up for some dies and a reloading book, then buy factory ammo.

Man, this is starting to get a little hostile.

I have dies for .223, 10mm/.40SW, 357SIG, .45 ACP, 9mm, 9mm mak, and .38/.357 because those are the calibers I shoot the most.

I can afford a set of dies. It is a matter of whether it is cost-effective for me to purchase dies (and shell plates and locator pins and tool heads) for calibers I don't shoot that much.

Obviously, my idea is not interesting to others, which is fine.

If you don't mind too much, however, I will continue reloading despite the fact that I do have to pay attention to costs and make decisions about how to get the most bang for my buck.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Man, this is starting to get a little hostile.

Sorry it came out that way. No hostility intended just plaing "been there, done that". It's not even close to cost effective unless you are "pooling" with people you see every day or live next door to. If you have to even start the car to trade off it's not worth it. Reloading needs to be fun, loaning, borrowing, taking stuff back is about the best way to kill any fun factor I can think of. Add in waiting on something you already own to get returned so you can use it and...

It's one of those things that sounds good until you start doing it.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Jack, I agree there are some practical difficulties. And certainly if I had to drive to the other side of Indy (for example) to get dies and return them, the cost savings might easily be eaten up with gas and time.

Just for fun, I ran some cost numbers.
    Now I realize this is somewhat deceptive because I already have all the powder, brass, and primers I would need.
    I figured for 3 calibers I shoot some but not much, a supply of 500 rounds of .380 acp, 200 rounds of 7.62x54R, and 200 rounds .30-06 would last me about 3-4 years.

If I just buy that ammo (prices from Georgia-Arms.com and ammoman.com) I could get it for $351.50 These are definitely "bargain" sources. Perhaps there are some better deals out there from time to time, but they certainly beat the pants off local retail.

If I buy the dies and caliber conversion kits, plus the bullets (prices from Dillon and Graf&Sons) and reload that same amount of ammo, I'd spend $308.08
    Plus I would be seriously depleted in rifle powder, which I'd wind up needing to buy at some point. So this cost is artificially low.

If I were to buy the bullets and reload using borrowed dies, my total cost would be $107.56 (Same caveat about using up my supplies).

The other thing I was thinking (while sitting in a tree stand this evening) was that I could be shooting and reloading for another 30 years. If that happens, I'd be re-using those dies and shellplates and stuff probably 10 more times (if I keep shooting at the same rate). At that point, it probably does make sense to just buy the dang things.

Top Bottom