• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    It is not Romanian. ALL Romanian is cooper washed.This is not.Romanian ammo is junk.It is why you hear people talking about loading a nagant with a 2x4...i will never shoot Romanian again(they over expand).This is in fact Hungarian. Arsenal 21 and production year of 78.(see here Mosin Nagant Dot Net Mosin Nagant HQ Mosin Nagant Rifles Finnish-Russian History Militaria Tuncis SVT Nagants Discussion Boards). This is worth 4 to one against Romanian(I have a 4 cases of romanian...i would trade it all for 1/2 a case of this...note I already have several cases of this ammo). I have shoot this type of ammo,this and silver/gold bear is the only ammo I use any more.It functions flawlessly. Please do not confuse it with romanian copper washed junk. I am just trying to help people find the best ammo I know about.And you are incorrect as to this ammo being "common". It is rare to find it any more.Romanian junk is very common though.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Sorry its Hungarian, and this stuff lacquer coated as well. The STEEL cases DO NOT expand, wanna shoot my ar with steel cased stuff? ;) If the bolt is sticking, clean your rifle, its prolly cosmoline thats hardened in the chamber, or there is a burr in there.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Sorry its Hungarian, and this stuff lacquer coated as well. The STEEL cases DO NOT expand, wanna shoot my ar with steel cased stuff? ;) If the bolt is sticking, clean your rifle, its prolly cosmoline thats hardened in the chamber, or there is a burr in there.
    The silver Hungarian stamp 21 is not lacquer coated.I never had a problem with the Rommanian because of lacquer coating(none of the romanian is lacquer coated it is all copper washed).The problem rommanian ammo is simple..it is junk.Hungarian=great(21 arsenal...any year) and has no lacquer coating.I may post some pics later of various ammo I have(think i have 8-9 types laying around of 7.62x54r).

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Hungarian 1987 7.62x54r Steel Core Light Ball

as stolen from the top of the page....

The ammunition is reliable with consistent ignition although the lacquer coated cases may cause extraction problems if the chamber is not clean. Earlier dates of the same type have a silver tipped bullet and silver stripe on the tins and wooden cases.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Hopefully this settles this lol. It is not lacquer ammo.
    11 types of nagant ammo I have.
    984q4l.jpg

16abozl.jpg

and the ammo you are confusing the arsenal 21 one with is arsenal BXN which looks very close and is lacquer ammo as pictured side by side.The 21 has a synthetic coating not lacquer. ie it does not melt and gum up your rifle.
    2r23pc8.jpg

I have also sent an email to 7.62x54r to correct there statement and offered to send them ammo samples.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    BXN is Czech ammo. I know I have 10's of thousands of rounds of it.

Czechoslovakian 1963 7.62x54r Steel Core Light Ball

Believe me Ted knows his stuff.
    He may know some stuff lol. But he is wrong on this on two counts. First he called it Romanian,it is not. Second he is relying on a website I posted to say it is lacquer ammo(and it is not). I am going to be at the ar build and will bring all 11 types I have to show the difference. The 21 is not like BXN that you are correct is CZ ammo and is laquer cased, 21 is not. The 21 uses a sythetic coating(looks exactly like what wolf uses now and calls polymer...exact coloring ect..).As I said I will bring both to the ar build party :)

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Can anybody recommend a good local source for 7.62 x 54r. I'm giving a couple of Mosin's for Christmas presents, and I'd like to give them a little ammo to go with it. Ideally I'd like to know where the best deal is, but I settle for the best place where I'm at least not getting raped.

Thanks for any help!

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I found 7.62 x 54R at Natchez for $225 shipped for 800 rounds. Has anyone any experience with this ammo? Is this a decent deal?

That's not too bad, considering the shipping weight and everything. As far as local, you can get price gouged at Gander Mtn, buy 20 rounds of Silver Bear for $15, not bad ammo but really overpriced there. But you'll have it for Christmas.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    beings you all are knowledgable about the 54r's

How do they measure in the Indiana Deer rifle Size chart? From what I have read, and my limited understanding, they are too small ?

And just how would anyone know what your using unless you were to be hunting where the Rangers go? If your on your property so to speak, how would anyone know what round your using?

Top Bottom