• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Has anybody here seen these youtube videos on making wax shotgun slugs?

This guy pours the lead out of a #8 shotgun shell mixes it with wax and puts it back into the shell, turning it into a slug. Pretty impressive results!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhqosJmUS-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBWWqXVbAfA

As I was watching the second video, I had to wonder if you couldn't do the same thing with sand or pea gravel? It wouldn't be quite as heavy but the wax should hold it together just like it does with the lead. Sure would be inexpensive and easy buy.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    man these slugs smell good
    0617111607.jpg

0617111605.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have seen this a few days ago.
    I guess it depends what you want to do with your ammo.
    For home defense I would never use something home-made because it might not go "bang" like factory ammo will and also because if you ever shoot someone with home-made ammo it's something that could be used against you.
    "Look at that freak who made his own ammo because factory stuff was not deadly enough for him".
    Using something who says on the box "for law enforcement and home defense use" may be a better option and will make you look more like a "good guy" in front of a jury.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    man these slugs smell good
    You used scented candles? Are those reloads or modified sporting loads?

I actually have some wax slug sitting around that I made about a year ago, but they are something quite different. They are just wax and they are fired with the primmer only. No gun powder. I have used them some for killing pop cans in the back yard.

Last edited:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I have seen this a few days ago.
    I guess it depends what you want to do with your ammo.
    For home defense I would never use something home-made because it might not go "bang" like factory ammo will
    Not until it was well tested anyway. Hand loaded ammo can be more reliable than factory.
    and also because if you ever shoot someone with home-made ammo it's something that could be used against you.
    "Look at that freak who made his own ammo because factory stuff was not deadly enough for him".
    Using something who says on the box "for law enforcement and home defense use" may be a better option and will make you look more like a "good guy" in front of a jury.
    A lot of people say they would never use reloads of any kind for defense, because of the lawyer thing. If you want to live your life that way, it is a valid point of view. If I was using loads like this for defense I would be very sure that it was well documented that I reload because I am a miser! Which would, by the way, be the truth.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not until it was well tested anyway. Hand loaded ammo can be more reliable than factory.
    A lot of people say they would never use reloads of any kind for defense, because of the lawyer thing. If you want to live your life that way, it is a valid point of view. If I was using loads like this for defense I would be very sure that it was well documented that I reload because I am a miser! Which would, by the way, be the truth.

Well im talking for myself. :)
    I never reloaded so I would not trust my own ammo compared to the premium factory ammo I buy for home-defense.
    I guess if you know what you are doing and tested enough of your own reloads then in that case it can be more reliable than factory ammo.
    But in my case I will trust the company who has been doing that for dacades or even hundreds of years for some companies.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Well im talking for myself. :)
    I never reloaded so I would not trust my own ammo compared to the premium factory ammo I buy for home-defense.
    Not a thing wrong with that.
    I guess if you know what you are doing and tested enough of your own reloads then in that case it can be more reliable than factory ammo.
    But in my case I will trust the company who has been doing that for dacades or even hundreds of years for some companies.
    Every new employee of those companies has to learn. You could too! Not everybody has to hand load though, so I will quit bugging you.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    You used scented candles? Are those reloads or modified sporting loads?

I actually have some wax slug sitting around that I made about a year ago, but they are something quite different. They are just wax and they are fired with the primmer only. No gun powder. I have used them some for killing pop cans in the back yard.

ya I used a half empty scented candle I had laying around and they are modified sporting loads I just need to try them out now.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    what could you use these for? They wouldn't be worth spit for SD unless you were hoping for a beanbag effect. The wax breaking up would use up a good bit of the energy, penetration would be worse than just using plain shotshells.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    what could you use these for? They wouldn't be worth spit for SD unless you were hoping for a beanbag effect. The wax breaking up would use up a good bit of the energy, penetration would be worse than just using plain shotshells.
    Did you see the video of them punching through steel at 100 yards?

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I made about 10 of these tonight to test in my 20 gauge. Kinda hoping that my gunsmoke will smell like freshly baked sugar cookies, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Top Bottom